- Volume 13 Issue 11
The purpose of this study was to search stigma experiences of family members who take care of their mental illness patients. Participants consist of three parents, one child, one brother of mental illness patient. The period to collect data was from June to October 2010. We collected the data through depth interview with participants and observance of them. The data was analyzed using phenomenal analysis suggested by Giorgi. As a result, meaningful technologies abstracted from original data were 217, and based on these we induced 26 themes by grouping them with more abstract and integrated language and seven central meanings were induced herein again. Seven central meanings are about stigma of family members of mental illness patients and they are as follows: 'Improper dealing, loss of relationship with surrounding persons, oneself cannot be revealed, conflict with others, unbearable sympathy, incapacity of oneself, buck-passing of oneself'. This study could be a scientific base data to the development of efficient nursing intervention and to understand the pains of mental illness patients and their family members who inevitably have to be separated from the society by recognizing the meaning of stigma to them.
- 양수, 장미화, "만성정신질환자 가족의 부담감과 치료동반자 역할의 필요성 및 참여도", 정신간호학회지, 제9권, 제1호, pp.94-110, 2000.
- 이종은, 현미열, "정신질환자 가족의 부담감, 자존감 및 희망에 관한 연구", 간호학회지, 제12권, 제3 호, pp.268-279, 2003.
- 민중서림편집국, 엣센스 국어사전, 민중서림, 2002.
- I. Goffman, Stigma: Notes on the management of spoiled identity, Englewood Cliffs, NJ; Prentice Hall, 1963.
- M. Ostman and L. Kjellin, "Stigma by association -Psychological factors in relatives of people with mental illness," British Journal of Psychiatry, Vol.181, pp.494-498, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.181.6.494
- 이정섭, "재가 정신질환자 가족의 경험연구", 정신간호학회지, 제7권, 제2호, pp.245-256, 1998.
- D. A. Perlick, R. A. Rosenheck, D. J. Miklowitz, C. Chessick, N. Wolff, and R. Kaczynski, "Prevalence and correlates of burden among caregivers of patients with bipolar disorder enrolled in the Systematic Treatment Enhancement Program for Bipolar Disorder," Bipolar Disord, Vol.9, pp.262-263, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-5618.2007.00365.x
- S. M. Magafia, J. I. Ramfrez Garcia, M. G. Hernanez, and R. Cortez, "Psychological distress among latino family caregivers of adults with schizophrenia: the roles of burden and stigma," Psychiatr Serv, Vol.58, pp.378-384, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.58.3.378
- 김진영, 정신질환자 가족의 희망 형성과정에 관한 연구, 서강대학교 신학대학원 석사학위논문, 2007.
- M. Leininger, Nature, Rational and Impertance of Qualitative Research Methods in Nursing, Grune & Stratton, Inc, 1985.
- M. Ray, A Philosophical method to study nursing phenomena, In M. Leininger (Ed.), Qualitative research methods in nursing, 1985.
- A. Giorgi, Psychology as a human sciences: A phenomenologically based approach, Mill Valley, CA; The Sociology Press, 1970.
- 배정이, "정신질환자 가족의 경험 연구, 정신간호학회지", 제10권, 제1호, pp.53-65, 2001.
- C. Eisdorfer, P. V. Rabins, and B. Reisberg, "Alzheimer's disease : Caring for the caregiver," Patient Care, Vol.15, pp.109-123, 1991.
- 심경순, "정신장애인의 평생계획수립을 위한 경험," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제12권, 제6호, pp.303-316, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.06.303
- Lived Experience of Primary Caregivers of People with Mental Disability vol.27, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2018.27.2.146