- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Distance Measurement System using A Stereo Camera and Radial Pattern Target for Automatic Berthing Control
- Mizuchi, Yoshiaki (Department of Information System Science, Soka University) ;
- Ogura, Tadashi (Department of Information System Science, Soka University) ;
- Hagiwara, Yoshinobu (National Institute of Informatics) ;
- Suzuki, Akimasa (Department of Software and Information Science, Iwate Prefectural University) ;
- Kim, Youngbok (Department of System Mechanical Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Choi, Yongwoon (Department of Information System Science, Soka University)
- Received : 2013.09.22
- Accepted : 2013.10.06
- Published : 2013.10.31
In this paper, we propose a distance measurement system for automatic berthing control using a stereo camera mounted on a rotation control device, and a radial pattern target. Automatically controlling the position and attitude of a ship aims to prevent maritime accidents due to human error. Our goal is to measure the relative distance between a ship and an onshore or offshore target for berthing. Therefore, the distance should be continuously measured while tracking a fixed point on a target. To this end, we developed a stereo camerabased distance measurement system that satisfied these requirements. This paper describes the structure and principle of the measurement system. We validate the distance error for target incline due to the relative position and attitude between a camera and a target in miniature scale. In addition, the findings of an experiment in an outdoor environment demonstrate that the proposed measurement system has accuracy within 1 m at a range of 20-100 m which is the acceptable accuracy for automatic berthing.
Automatic Berthing Control;Distance Measurement;Stereo Camera;Template Matching
- C. C. Baker, and D. B. MaCafferty, 2005, "Accident database review of human-element concerns: what do the results mean for classification?," Proc. of International conference Human Factor in Ship Design, Safety and Operation, Royal Institution of Naval Architects.
- Marine GPS Navigator GP150, http://www.furuno.com/en/business_product/pdf/marine/gp150.pdf, Furuno Electric Co., Ltd.
- M. Ueno, 2000, "A GPS-based system for precise shipping guidance and control", Journal of Marine Science and Technology, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 9-15. https://doi.org/10.1007/s007730070016
- SRD-303i Ship's Docking Aid System, http://www.koden-electronics.co.jp/eng/industrial/srd303i-e.html, Koden Electronics Co., Ltd.
- H. Kawai, Y. B. Kim, and Y. Choi, 2009, "Anti-sway system with image sensor for container cranes", Journal of mechanical science and technology, Vol. 10, No. 23, pp. 2757-2765.
- H. Kawai, Y. Choi, Y. B. Kim, and Y. Kubota, 2009, "Measurement system design for sway motion based on image sensor", Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control, pp. 185-188.
- H. Kawai, Y. B. Kim, and Y. Choi, 2012, "Measurement of a Container Crane Spreader Under Bad Weather Conditions by Image Restoration", IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 1, No. 61, pp. 35-42.