- Volume 26 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Gamisungmagalguntang(加味升麻葛根湯) on Chronic Urticaria Identified as "Wind Heat" Pattern
풍열형(風熱型) 만성 두드러기에 대한 가미승마갈근탕(加味升麻葛根湯)의 치료효과
- Received : 2013.10.06
- Accepted : 2013.11.08
- Published : 2013.11.25
Objective : This case series study was designed to assess the effect of Gamisungmagalguntang for chronic urticaria identified as "Wind-Heat" pattern by retrospective methods. Methods : We treated 19 patients for chronic urticaria with Gamisungmagalguntang(加味升麻葛根湯), who visited to care chronic urticaria at the department of Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology and Dermatology of Korean Medicine at Kyunghee University Korean Medical Center from 1st January 2013 to 31st August 2013. We analyzed information and body conditions of 19 patients. And by using Urticaria Activicy Score(UAS), frequency and number of wheals, itch severity and total score on a 4-point(0-3) scale were assessed in 19 patients. The change of each criterion and total scores between baseline and follow up were analyzed using paired t-test and Wilcoxon test(p<0.05). Results : 1. UAS improvement was statistically significant(p<0.001). Effects of symptom improvement were excellent(31.58%) that means symptom remission and good(42.10%) that means symptom improved over 50%. 2. Heat sensitivity as suspected provocation factor could be a marker for the Wind-Heat pattern urticaria. 3. Among the Wind-Heat pattern urticaria patients, normal digestion(52.63%) and no thirst(78.95%) were higher than abnormal conditions. Whereas about sweat item, abnormal conditions(57.89%) were higher than normal. That means abnormal sweat conditions could be a marker for a defense qi(衛氣) dysfunction of the Wind-Heat pattern urticaria. Conclusions : Our findings suggest that Gamisungmagalguntang could be effective on the Wind-Heat pattern urticaria.
Chronic Urticaria;Herbal Medicine;Gamisungmagalguntang(加味升麻葛根湯);Wind-Heat Pattern Urticaria
- Kwon HJ, Cho JH, Kim MY, Kim HO, Park YM. A study on clinical and etiological aspects of chronic urticaria by questionnaire. Korean J Dermatol. 2007;45:560-8.
- Greaves MW. Chronic urticaria. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2000;105:664-72. https://doi.org/10.1067/mai.2000.105706
- Greaves MW. Chronic idiopathic urticaria. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003;3:363-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/00130832-200310000-00008
- Najib U, Sheikh J. The spectrum of chronic urticaria. Allergy Asthma Proc. 2009;30:1-10. https://doi.org/10.2500/aap.2009.30.3191
- Kim HJ. Clinical study of Chronic Urticaria. The Journal of Korean Oriental Medical Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology & Dermatology. 2002;15(2):252-60.
- Tark MR, Kim MB, Byun SM, Ko WS, Yoon HJ. A Clinical Report on 39 Urticaria Patients Treated With The Ko-Bang(古方). The Journal of Korean Oriental Medical Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology & Dermatology. 2009;22(3):196-207.
- Yoon SW, Kim MH, Yoon HJ, Ko WS. A Clinical Study about the Effect of Sungmagalguntanggamibang on Urticaria. The Journal of Korean Oriental Medical Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology & Dermatology. 2004;17(3):61-79.
- Yoon JW, Yoon SW, Yoon HJ, Ko WS. The Clinical Study of Urticaria. The Journal of Korean Oriental Medical Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology & Dermatology. 2003;16(2): 152-76.
- Lee GY, Kim HJ. A Clinical Study of Chronic Urticaria. The Journal of Korean Oriental Medical Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology & Dermatology. 2004;17(2):81-6.
- Im MK, Song JM. A Case Study of Taeeumin's Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria Patient. J of Sasang Constitutional Medicine. 2008;20(3):190-8.
- National Oriental Medical School Dermatology & Surgery Textbook Editing Board. Text of Traditional Korean Dermatology & Surgery. Busan:Sun Wo Publisher. 2007:377-9.
- An DZ. The Clinical Records of Prominent TCM. Busan:CORMEDI Publications. 2013: 388-97.
- Greaves MW. Antihistamine Treatment: A Patient Self-assessment Method in Chronic Urticaria. British Medical Journal. 1981; 283:1435-6.
- Hong CS. Guideline of urticaria treatment. Korean J Asthma Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004;24:25-35.
- Bindslev-Jensen C, Finzi A, Greaves MW, Camarasa J, Ortonne JP, Schopf E, et al. Chronic urticaria: diagnosis recommendations. Eur Acad Derm Venereal. 2000;14:175-80. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1468-3083.2000.00079.x
- Greaves MW, O'Donnell BF. Not all chronic urticaria is 'idiopathic'!. Exp Dermatol. 1998;7:11-3. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0625.1998.tb00296.x
- Zuberbier T. The Role of Allergens and Pseudoallergens in Urticaria. JID Simposium Proceedings. 2001;6(2):132-4.
- Retrospective Clinical Study of Soyangin Chronic Urticaria Patients vol.28, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6114/jkood.2015.28.3.088
- Follow-up Study on Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria Patients Treated with Pyungweesangamibang vol.29, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6114/jkood.2016.29.1.168
- Recent Clinical Research on Effect of Acupuncture for Urticaria vol.30, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7778/jpkm.2016.30.1.022