- Volume 21 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Midsummer Drainage Effects on Rice Growth and Golden Apple Snails in Environment-friendly Rice Cultivation
왕우렁이를 이용한 벼 친환경재배포장에서 벼와 왕우렁이 생장에 대한 중간낙수 효과
- Received : 2013.07.15
- Accepted : 2013.08.08
- Published : 2013.09.30
This study was performed to examine whether it is possible to promote rice growth by midsummer drainage without damage of golden apple snails in environment-friendly rice farming. The effect of drainage on the life of snails was examined in a greenhouse before the filed experiment. Spats (young shells) of snails survived 100% at 12 days after drainage, and 93.3% at 15 days after drainage. The midsized shells survived 100% at 9 days, 93.3% at 12 days, and 86.6% at 15 days after drainage. In the field experiment, 10-days drainage did not affect the snail population and there was no significant difference of weeding activity of snails between the midsummer drainage treatment and the continuous submerged treatment. The plant height and the effective tiller number in the midsummer drainage treatment were higher than those of the continuous submerged treatment. The rice yield of midsummer drainage plot was 511kg/10a, which was 66kg/10a higher than 445kg/10a of continuous submerged plot. In conclusion, midsummer drainage could increase rice growth and yield without damage of golden apple snails in the environment-friendly rice farming.
- Choi, D. H., Y. H. Lee, S. H. Kim, S. M. Lee, and Y. J. Lee. 2002. Scientific Symposium-Korean Society of Organic Agriculture-Environment- friendly material management system. National Academy of Agricultural Science, Department of Agricultural Environment. pp. 89-108.
- Choi, M. G., B. T. Jun, and S. H. Park. 1990. Cultural practices for improving grain quality of rice in southern plain area. Korean J. Crop Sci. 35(6): 487-491.
- Choi, M. G., S. S. Kim, S. Y. Lee, and S. Y. Cho. 1995. The Effect of Midsummer Drainage on Growth and Lodging in Rice Cultivation by Direct Seeding on Dry Paddy. The Journal of the Korean Society of Crop Science. 40(5): 574-579.
- Chung, S. J., H. S. Park, J. S. Oh, S. G. Choi, and B. C. Choi. 1999. Studies on the Ecology and Ingestion of Ampullarius Insularus for Weeding of Paddy Rice. Journal of Korean Society of Organic Agriculture. 7(2): 169-178.
- Ham, J. G. and A. S. Lee. 2006. Establishment of Midsummer Drainage Time by Type of Rice Paddy for Production of High Quality Rice. Test and Research Report of Gangwondo Agricultural Research and Extension Services.
- Jeonnam Agricultural Research & Exhibition Services. 2010. Manual for Organic Rice Farming. pp. 73-97.
- Jeonnam Agricultural Research & Extension Service. 2009 A first Step to Organic Rice Farming. p. 115.
- Kim, D. I., S. G. Kim, G. J. Choi, B. Y. Kang, J. D. Park, Jeong-Joon Kim, D. R. Choi, and H. M. Park. 2007. Occurrence and Damage of Golden Apple Snail (Pomacea canaliculata: Ampullariidae) in Jeonnam Province of South Korea. Journal of Korean Society of Applied Entomology 46(1): 109-115. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2007.46.1.109
- Kim, H. D. 1998. Weed Control Effect by Input of Golden Apple Snails. Korean Society of Organic Agriculture Symposium for the 1sthalfoftheyear. pp. 83-90.
- Kim, S. S., N, H. Paik, S. Y. Lee, J. H. Kim, and D. S. Cho. 1995. The Effect of Midsummer Drainage and Treatment of Growth Regulator on Growth and Lodging in Rice Cultivation by Puddled-Solid Drill Seeding.
- Koo, Y. C., D. Y. Song, G. Y. Sung, and J. H. Park. 2002. Research Reports: Changes of Weed Bio - Diversity in Rice cultivation System. Journal of The Korean Society of Weed Science. 22(3): 254-258.
- Lee, J. H., D. S. Kim, and G. H. Lee. 1968. Midsummer Drainage Test for Prevention of Lodging. Youngshi Annual Report. pp. 369-374.
- Lee, M. H., Y. J. Oh, and R. K. Park. 1991. Lodging mechanism and reducing damage of rice plant. Korean J. Crop Sci.(meteorological disaster II): 383-393.
- Lee, S. B., M. H. Koh, Y. E. Ra, and J. H. Kim. 2002. Physiological and Ecological Characteristics of the Apple Snails. Journal of The Korean Society of Environmental Agriculture. 21(1): 50-56. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2002.21.1.050
- National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology. 2005. A guidebook to Organic Rice Farming. pp. 274-283.
- Paik, N. H., S. S. Kim, H. G. Park, H. T. Shin, S. Y. Cho, and S. R. Lee. 1997. The Effect of Number of Midsummer Drainage in Growth and Lodging in Direct Seeding of Rice on Flooded Paddy Surface. Korean Journal of Crop Science. Vol. 42 No.6 pp. 722-728.
- Park, J. S., S. Y. Lee, and C. G. Kang. 2001. Technological and Economic Analysis of Environment-friendly Rice Farming - focused on Farming Method using Ducks and Golden Apple Snails. Journal of Korean Society of Organic Agriculture. 9(2): 69-81.
- Suh, H. R., C. H. Choi, G. W. Lee, G. B. Lee, and T. W. Noh. 2010. A Study on the Ecology of the Golden Apple Snail, Pomacea canaliculata (Lamark) in Chungnam and Jeonbuk Province of Korea. The Journal of Korean Society of Environment and Ecology. 24(6): 772-780.
- Yoon, S. P. and Y. J. Moon. 2006. A Study on Artificial Proliferation of Triops longicaudtus classified into Endangered Species Class II through Ecological Application and its Utilization. The 52nd National Science Exhibition, Introduction of Exhibits. p. 53.