- Volume 5 Issue 5
Seismic isolation is an effective method for the protection of buildings and their contents during strong earthquakes. This research work aims to assess the appropriateness of the linear and nonlinear models that can be used in the analysis of typical low-rise base isolated steel buildings, taking into account the inherent nonlinearities of the isolation system as well as the potential nonlinearities of the superstructure in case of strong ground motions. The accuracy of the linearization of the isolator properties according to Eurocode 8 is evaluated comparatively with the corresponding response that can be obtained through the nonlinear hysteretic Bouc-Wen constitutive model. The suitability of the linearized model in the determination of the size of the required seismic gap is assessed, under various earthquake intensities, considering relevant methods that are provided by building codes. Furthermore, the validity of the common assumption of elastic behavior for the superstructure is explored and the alteration of the structural response due to the inelastic deformations of the superstructure as a consequence of potential collision to the restraining moat wall is studied. The usage of a nonlinear model for the isolation system is found to be necessary in order to achieve a sufficiently accurate assessment of the structural response and a reliable estimation of the required width of the provided seismic gap. Moreover, the simulations reveal that the superstructure's inelasticity should be taken into account, especially if the response of the structure under high magnitude earthquakes is investigated. The consideration of the inelasticity of the superstructure is also recommended in studies of structural collision of seismically isolated structures to the surrounding moat wall, since it affects the response.
seismic isolation;base isolation;rubber bearings;Bouc-Wen model;seismic gap;nonlinear analysis;superstructure's inelasticity;collision to moat wall
- Kilar, V. and Koren, D. (2010), "Simplified inelastic seismic analysis of base-isolated structures using the N2 method", Earthq. Eng.Struct. Dyn., 39, 967-989.
- Komodromos, P. (2000), Seismic isolation for earthquake resistant structures, WIT Press, Southampton, UK.
- Mahmoud, S. and Jankowski, R. (2010), "Pounding-involved response of isolated and non-isolated buildings under earthquake excitation", Earthq. Struct., 1(3), 231-252. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.3.231
- Makris, N. and Kampas, G. (2013), "The engineering merit of the "Effective Period" of bilinear isolation systems", Earthq. Struct., 4(4), 397-428. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.4.4.397
- Matsagar, V.A. and Jangid, R.S. (2004), "Influence of isolator characteristics on the response of base isolated structures", Eng. Struct., 26, 1735-1749. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.06.011
- Mavronicola, E. and Komodromos, P. (2011), "Assessing the suitability of equivalent linear elastic analysis of seismically isolated multi-storey buildings", Comput. Struct., 89, 1920-1931. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2011.05.010
- Naeim, F. and Kelly, J.M. (1999), Design of seismic isolated structures, From theory to practice, John Wiley & Sons Inc., Hoboken, NJ, USA.
- Nagarajaiah, S., Reinhorn, A.M. and Constantinou, M.C. (1991). "Nonlinear dynamic analysis of 3-D-base isolated structures", J. Struct. Eng., 117(7), 2035-2054. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1991)117:7(2035)
- Pant, D.R. and Wijeyewickrema, A.C. (2012), "Structural performance of a base-isolated reinforced concrete building subjected to seismic pounding", Earthq. Eng.Struct. Dyn., 41, 1709-1716. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2158
- Park, Y.J., Wen, Y.K. and Ang, A.H.S. (1986), "Random vibration of hysteretic systems under bidirectional ground motions", Earthq. Eng.Struct. Dyn.,, 14, 543-557. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290140405
- Polycarpou, P.C. and Komodromos, P. (2011), "Numerical investigation of potential mitigation measures for poundings of seismically isolated buildings", Earthq. Struct., 2(1), 1-24. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2011.2.1.001
- Powel, H.G. (2010), Modeling for structural analysis. Behavior and basics, Computers and Structures Inc., Berkeley, California, USA.
- Providakis, C.P. (2008), "Pushover analysis of base-isolated steel-concrete composite structures under near-fault excitations", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 28, 293-304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2007.06.012
- Qiang, Y., Li, Z. and Xinming, W. (2010), "Parameter identification of hysteretic model of rubber-bearing based on sequential nonlinear least-square estimation", Earthq. Eng.Eng. Vib., 9(3), 375-383. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-010-0022-4
- Skinner, R.I., Robinson, W.H. and McVerry, G.H. (1993), An introduction to seismic isolation, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, West Sussex, UK.
- Tena-Colunga, A. and Escamilla-Cruz, J.L. (2007), "Torsional amplifications in asymmetric base isolated structures", Eng. Struct., 29, 237-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.03.036
- Tsai, H.C. (1997), "Dynamic analysis of base-isolated shear beams bumping against stops", Earthq. Eng.Struct. Dyn., 26, 515-528. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199705)26:5<515::AID-EQE654>3.0.CO;2-C
- International Conference of Building Officials, Uniform Building Code (1997), Structural engineering design provisions, California, USA.
- Bouc, R. (1967), "Forced vibration of mechanical systems with hysteresis", Proceedings of the Fourth Conference on Nonlinear Oscillation. Prague, Czechoslovakia, September.
- Cardone, D., Flora, A. and Gesualdi, G. (2011), "Inelastic response of seismically isolated structures", Proceedings of the 12th World Conference on Seismic Isolation Energy Dissipation and Active Vibration Control of Structures, Sochi, Russia, September.
- Charalampakis, A.E. and Koumousis, V.K. (2008), "On the response and dissipated energy of Bouc Wen hysteretic model", J. Sound Vib., 309, 887-895. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2007.07.080
- Chen, B.J., Tsai, C.S. and Chung, L.L. (2006), "Seismic behavior of structures isolation with a hybrid system of rubber bearings", Struct. Eng. Mech., 22(6), 761-783. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2006.22.6.761
- Computers and Structures Inc. (2010), CSI Analysis Reference Manual for SAP2000, ETABS, and SAFE, Berkeley, California, USA.
- Dicleli, M. and Buddaram, S. (2007), "Comprehensive evaluation of equivalent linear analysis method for seismic-isolated structures represented by sdof systems", J. Eng. Struct., 29, 1653-1663. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.09.013
- Elnashai, A.S. and Di Sarno, L. (2008), Fundamentals of earthquake engineering, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., West Sussex, UK.
- European Committee for Standardization (2009), EN 15129:2009, Anti-seismic devices, Brussels, Belgium.
- European Committee for Standardization (2005), EN 1993-1-1:2005, Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures - Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings, Brussels, Belgium.
- European Committee for Standardization (2004), EN 1998-1:2004, Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance - Part 1: General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings, Brussels, Belgium.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency & Virginia: American Society of Civil Engineers, FEMA 356 (2000), Prestandard and commentary for the seismic rehabilitation of buildings,Washington, D.C., USA.
- Higashino, M. and Okamoto, S. (2006), Response control and seismic isolation of buildings, Taylor & Francis, Oxon, UK.
- Iwan, W.D. and Gates, N.C. (1979), "The effective period and damping of a class of hysteretic structures", Earthq. Eng.Struct. Dyn., 7, 199-211. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290070302
- Kelly, T.E. (2001), Base isolation of structures. Design Guidelines, Holmes Consulting Group, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Kilar, V. and Koren, D. (2009), "Seismic behaviour of asymmetric base isolated structures with various distributions of isolators", Eng. Struct., 31, 910-921. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.12.006
- Wen, Y.K. (1976), "Method for random vibration of hysteretic systems", J. Eng. Mech. - ASCE, 102(2), 249-263.
- Wu, C., Li, Y., Li, H. and Zhang, K. (2008), "Parametric study on seismic energy response of base-isolated structures", International Workshop on Modelling, Simulation and Optimization,WMSO 2008, Hong Kong, China, December.
- Simplified procedure for seismic analysis of base-isolated structures vol.8, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.8.5.1091
- Spatial seismic modeling of base-isolated buildings pounding against moat walls: effects of ground motion directionality and mass eccentricity vol.46, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2850
- Seismic vulnerability of reinforced concrete building structures founded on an XPS layer vol.10, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.10.4.939
- Seismic evaluation and retrofitting of reinforced concrete buildings with base isolation systems vol.10, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.10.2.293
- Seismic response evaluation of base-isolated reinforced concrete buildings under bidirectional excitation vol.16, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-017-0387-8
- On the response of base-isolated buildings using bilinear models for LRBs subjected to pulse-like ground motions: sharp vs. smooth behaviour vol.7, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.6.1223
- Soft-Story Effects on the Behavior of Fixed-Base and LRB Base-Isolated Reinforced Concrete Buildings vol.41, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-015-1664-3