- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A method for nonlinear aerostatic stability analysis of long-span suspension bridges under yaw wind
- Zhang, Wen-Ming (School of Civil Engineering, Southeast University) ;
- Ge, Yao-Jun (State Key Laboratory for Disaster Reduction in Civil Engineering, Department of Bridge Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Levitan, Marc L. (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Louisiana State University)
- Received : 2012.09.25
- Accepted : 2013.09.18
- Published : 2013.11.25
By using the nonlinear aerostatic stability theory together with the method of mean wind decomposition, a method for nonlinear aerostatic stability analysis is proposed for long-span suspension bridges under yaw wind. A corresponding program is developed considering static wind load nonlinearity and structural nonlinearity. Taking a suspension bridge with three towers and double main spans as an example, the full range aerostatic instability is analyzed under wind at different attack angles and yaw angles. The results indicate that the lowest critical wind speed of aerostatic instability is gained when the initial yaw angle is greater than
- Boonyapinyo, V., Lauhatanon, Y. and Lukkunaprasit, P. (2006), "Nonlinear aerostatic stability analysis of suspension bridges", Eng. Struct., 28(5), 793- 803. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.10.008
- Boonyapinyo, V., Miyata, T. and Yamada, H. (1999), "Advanced aerodynamic analysis of suspension bridges by state-space approach", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 125(12), 1357-1366. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1999)125:12(1357)
- Cheng, J., Jiang, J.J., Xiao, R.C. and Xiang, H.F. (2002a), "Advanced aerostatic stability analysis of cable-stayed bridges using finite-element method", Comput. Struct., 80(13), 1145-1158. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(02)00079-2
- Cheng J., Jiang J.J., Xiao R.C. and Xiang H.F. (2002b), "Nonlinear aerostatic stability analysis of Jiang Yin suspension bridge", Eng. Struct., 24(6), 773-781. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(02)00006-8
- Cheng, J., Jiang, J.J. and Xiao, R.C. (2003a), "Aerostatic stability analysis of suspension bridges under parametric uncertainty". Eng. Struct., 25(13), 1675-1684. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(03)00146-9
- Cheng, J., Xiao, R.C, Xiang, H.F. and Jiang, J.J. (2003b), "NASAB: a finite element software for the nonlinear aerostatic stability analysis of cable-supported bridges", Adv. Eng. Softw., 34(5), 287-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0965-9978(03)00010-3
- Hirai, A, Okauchi, I, Ito, M and Miyata, T. (1967), "Studies on the critical wind velocity for suspension bridges", Proceedings of the International Research Seminar on Wind Effects on Buildings and Structures. Ontario: University of Toronto Press.
- Kimura, K. and Ohara, T. (1999), "Lateral sway buffeting of bridge decks due to yawed wind", Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Wind Engineering: Wind Engineering into 21st Century, Copenhagen, Denmark. June.
- Kimura, K. and Tanaka, H. (1992), "Bridge buffeting due to wind with yaw angles", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 42(1-3), 309-1320.
- Ministry of Communications of the People's Republic of China. (2004), Wind-Resistant Design Specification for Highway Bridge, Beijing: China Communications Press (in Chinese).
- Scanlan, R.H. (1993), "Bridge buffeting by skew winds in erection stages", J. Eng. Mech. - ASCE, 119(2), 251-269. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1993)119:2(251)
- Simiu, E and Scanlan, R.H. (1996), Wind effects on structures: fundamentals and applications to design, 3rd Ed., New York, John Wiley and Sons.
- Xiao, R.C. and Cheng, J. (2004), "Advanced aerostatic stability analysis of suspension bridges", Wind Struct., 7(1), 55-70. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2004.7.1.055
- Xie, X. and Yamaguchi, H. (1997), "Static behaviors of self-anchored and partially earth-anchored long-span cable-stayed bridges", Struct. Eng. Mech., 5(6), 767-774. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.19126.96.36.1997
- Zhang, X.J.(2011), "Investigation on the wind-induced instability of long-span suspension bridges with 3D cable system", Wind Struct., 14(3), 209-220. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2011.14.3.209
- Zhu, L.D., Wang, M., Wang, D.L., Guo, Z.S. and Cao ,F.C. (2007), "Flutter and buffeting performances of Third Nanjing Bridge over Yangtze River under yaw wind via aeroelastic model test", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 95(9-11), 1579-1606. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2007.02.019
- Zhu, L.D., Xu, Y.L., Zhang, F. and Xiang, H.F. (2002), "Tsing Ma bridge deck under skew winds-Part I: aerodynamic coefficients", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 90(7), 781-805. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(02)00160-5
- Zhu, L.D. and Xu, Y.L. (2005), "Buffeting response of long-span cable-supported bridges under skew winds. Part 1: theory", J. Sound Vib., 281(3-5), 647- 673. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2004.01.026
- Nonlinear aerostatic stability analysis of Hutong cable-stayed rail-cum-road bridge vol.23, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2016.23.6.485