- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Experimental and numerical studies of the flow around the Ahmed body
- Tunay, Tural (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Cukurova University) ;
- Sahin, Besir (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Cukurova University) ;
- Akilli, Huseyin (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Cukurova University)
- Received : 2012.09.24
- Accepted : 2013.07.11
- Published : 2013.11.25
The present study aims to investigate characteristics of the flow structures around the Ahmed body by using both experimental and numerical methods. Therefore, 1/4 scale Ahmed body having
- Hucho, W.H. and Sovran, G. (1993), "Aerodynamics of road vehicles", Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech., 25, 485-537. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.fl.25.010193.002413
- Kapadia, S., Roy, S., Vallero, M., Wurtzler, K. and Forsythe, J. (2003), "Detached-eddy simulation over a reference Ahmed car model", Proceedings of the Direct and Large-Eddy Simulation-V, Garching, Germany, 27-29 August.
- Kapadia, S., Roy, S. and Wurtzler, K. (2003), "Detached eddy simulation over a reference Ahmed car model", Proceedings of the 41st Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, Nevada, 6-9 January.
- Krajnovic, S. and Davidson, L. (2004), "Large eddy simulation of the flow around an Ahmed body", Proceedings of the HTFED04, ASME Heat Transfer/Fluids Engineering Summer Conference, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA.
- Krajnovic, S. and Davidson, L. (2004), "Large-eddy simulation of the flow around simplified car model", Proceedings of the SAE World Congress, SAE Paper No. 2004-01-0227, Detroit, USA.
- Krajnovic, S. and Davidson, L. (2005), "Flow around a simplified car, Part 1: large eddy simulation", J. Fluid. Eng. - T. ASME, 127(5), 907-918. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1989371
- Krajnovic, S. and Davidson, L. (2005), "Flow around a simplified car, Part 2: understanding the flow", J. Fluid. Eng. - T. ASME, 127(5), 919-928. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1989372
- Krajnovic, S. and Davidson, L. (2005), "Influence of floor motions in wind tunnels on the aerodynamics of road vehicles", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 93, 677-696. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2005.05.002
- Lehmkuhl, O., Borrell, R., Rodriguez, I., Perez-Segarra, C.D. and Oliva, A. (2012), "Assessment of the symmetry-preserving regularization model on complex flows using unstructured grids", Comput. Fluids, 60, 108-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compfluid.2012.02.030
- Minguez, M., Pasquetti, R. and Serre, E. (2008), "High-order large-eddy simulation of flow over the "Ahmed body" car model", Phys. Fluids, 20(9), 095101. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2952595
- Robinson, C.M.E. (2001), Advanced CFD modelling of road-vehicle aerodynamics, PhD thesis, Institute of Science and Technology of University of Manchester.
- Sharma, R., Chadwick, D. and Haines, J. (2008), "Aerodynamics of an intercity bus", Wind Struct., 11(4), 257-273. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2008.11.4.257
- Spohn, A. and Gillieron, P. (2002), "Flow separations generated by a simplified geometry of an automotive vehicle", Proceedings of the IUTAM Symposium: Unsteady Separated Flows, Toulouse, France, April 8-12.
- Strachan, R., Knowles, K. and Lawson, N. (2005), "Comparisons between CFD and experimental results for a simplified car model in wall proximity", Proceedings of the Integrating CFD and Experiments in Aerodynamics, 5-6 September.
- Strachan, R., Knowles, K. and Lawson, N. (2007), "The vortex structure behind an Ahmed reference model in the presence of a moving ground plane", Exp. Fluids, 42(5), 659-669. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-007-0270-x
- Vino, G., Watkins, S., Mousley, P., Watmuff, J. and Prasad, S. (2004), "The unsteady near-wake of a simplified passenger car", Proceedings of the 15th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference, Sydney, Australia.
- Vino, G., Watkins, S., Mousley, P., Watmuff, J. and Prasad, S. (2005), "Flow structures in the near-wake of the Ahmed model", J. Fluid. Struct., 20(5), 673-695. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2005.03.006
- Wang X.W., Zhou Y., Pin Y.F. and Chan T.L. (2013), "Turbulent near wake of an Ahmed vehicle model", Exp. Fluids, 54, 1490-1509. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-013-1490-x
- Barlow, J., Guterres, R., Ranzenbach, R. and Williams, J. (1999), Wake structures of rectangular bodies with radiused edges near a plane surface, SAE Paper.
- Lienhart, H., Stoots, C. and Becker, S. (2000), "Flow and turbulence structures in the wake of a simplified car model (Ahmed model)", Proceedings of the DGLR Fach. Symp. der AG STAB DGLR Fach. Symp. der AG STAB, Stuttgart University.
- Makowski, F.T. and Kim, S.E. (2000), Advances in external-aero simulation of ground vehicles using the steady RANS equations, SAE Technical Paper Series, World Congress Detroit, Michigan, 6-9 March.
- Barlow, J.B., Guterres, R., and Ranzenbach, R. (1999), Rectangular bodies with radiused edges in ground effect, AIAA Paper No. 99-3153.
- Beaudoin, J.F. and Aider, J.L. (2008), "Drag and lift reduction of a 3D bluff body using flaps", Exp. Fluids, 44(4), 491-501. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-007-0392-1
- Beaudoin, J.F., Cadot, O., Aider, J.L., Gosse, K., Paranthoen, P., Hamelin, B., Tissier, M., Allano, D., Mutabazi, I., Gonzales, M. and Wesfreid, J.E. (2004), "Cavitation as a complementary tool for automotive aerodynamics", Exp. Fluids, 37(5), 763-768. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-004-0879-y
- Bernard, P.S., Collins, P. and Potts, M. (2005), Vortex method simulation of ground vehicle aerodynamics, SAE Technical papers.
- Cooper, K. R. (1985), The effect of front-edge rounding and rear edge shaping on the aerodynamic drag of bluff vehicles in ground proximity, SAE Paper.
- Fares, E. (2006), "Unsteady flow simulation of the Ahmed reference body using a lattice boltzmann approach", Comput. Fluids, 35(8-9), 940-950. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compfluid.2005.04.011
- Ahmed, S.R., Ramm, G. and Faltin, G. (1984), Some salient features of the time-averaged ground vehicle wake, SAE Technical Paper.
- Aider J.L., Beaudoin J.F. and Wesfreid J.E. (2010), "Drag and lift reduction of a 3D bluff-body using active vortex generators", Exp. Fluids, 48(5), 771-789. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-009-0770-y
- Gillieron, P. and Chometon, F. (1999), "Modelling of stationary three-dimensional separated air flows around an Ahmed reference model", Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Vortex ESAIM.
- Guilmineau, E. (2008), "Computational study of flow around a simplified car body", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 96(6-7), 1207-1217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2007.06.041
- Gurlek, C., Sahin, B., Ozalp, C. and Akilli, H. (2008), "Flow structures around a three-dimensional rectangular body with ground effect", Wind Struct., 11(5), 345-359. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2008.11.5.345
- Gurlek C., Sahin B. and Ozkan G.M. (2012), "PIV studies around a bus model", Exp. Therm. Fluid Sci., 38, 115-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2011.11.014
- Han, T. (1989), "Computational analysis of three-dimensional turbulent flow around a bluff body in ground proximity", AIAA J., 27(9), 1213-1219. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.10248
- Hinterberger, C., Garcia-Villalba, M. and Rodi W. (2004), Large eddy simulation of flow around the Ahmed body, The aerodynamics of heavy vehicles: trucks, buses and trains, Lecture Notes in Applied and Computational Mechanics, Springer, Berlin.
- Howard, R.J.A. and Pourquie, M. (2002), "Large eddy simulation of an Ahmed reference model", J. Turbul., 3.
- Computational and experimental investigations of the vortical flow structures in the near wake region downstream of the Ahmed vehicle model vol.159, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2016.10.006
- A combination method to generate fluctuating boundary conditions for large eddy simulation vol.20, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2015.20.4.579
- Investigation of vehicle ride height and diffuser ramp angle on downforce and efficiency pp.2041-2991, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/0954407018776767