- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Novel Class of Entanglement-Assisted Quantum Codes with Minimal Ebits
- Dong, Cao (School of Electronic Engineering and Optoelectronic Technology, Nanjing University of Science and Technology) ;
- Yaoliang, Song (School of Electronic Engineering and Optoelectronic Technology, Nanjing University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2012.01.27
- Accepted : 2013.01.01
- Published : 2013.04.30
Quantum low-density parity-check (LDPC) codes based on the Calderbank-Shor-Steane construction have low encoding and decoding complexity. The sum-product algorithm(SPA) can be used to decode quantum LDPC codes; however, the decoding performance may be significantly decreased by the many four-cycles required by this type of quantum codes. All four-cycles can be eliminated using the entanglement-assisted formalism with maximally entangled states (ebits). The proposed entanglement-assisted quantum error-correcting code based on Euclidean geometry outperform differently structured quantum codes. However, the large number of ebits required to construct the entanglement-assisted formalism is a substantial obstacle to practical application. In this paper, we propose a novel class of entanglement-assisted quantum LDPC codes constructed using classical Euclidean geometry LDPC codes. Notably, the new codes require one copy of the ebit. Furthermore, we propose a construction scheme for a corresponding zigzag matrix and show that the algebraic structure of the codes could easily be expanded. A large class of quantum codes with various code lengths and code rates can be constructed. Our methods significantly improve the possibility of practical implementation of quantum error-correcting codes. Simulation results show that the entanglement-assisted quantum LDPC codes described in this study perform very well over a depolarizing channel with iterative decoding based on the SPA and that these codes outperform other quantum codes based on Euclidean geometries.
- R. G. Gallager, "Low-density parity-check codes," in Ph.D. dissertation, Massachusetts Inst. Technol., Boston, USA, Apr. 1963.
- Y. Kou, S. Lin, and M. Fossorier, "Low-density parity-check codes based on finite geometries: A rediscovery and new results," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, vol. 47, pp. 2711-2736, Nov. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/18.959255
- D. MacKay, G. Mitchison, and P. McFadden, "Sparse graph codes for quantum error-correction," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, vol. 50, pp. 2315- 2330, Oct. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.2004.834737
- I. B. Djordjevic, "Quantum LDPC codes from balanced incomplete block designs," IEEE Commun. Lett., vol. 12, pp. 389-391, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/LCOMM.2008.080083
- S. A. Aly, "A Class of quantum LDPC codes constructed from finite geometries," in Proc. IEEE GLOBECOM, New Orleans, USA, Nov. 2008, pp. 1097-1101.
- T. Brun, I. Devetak, and M. H. Hsieh, "Correcting quantum errors with entanglement," Science, vol. 314, pp. 436-439, Oct. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1131563
- M. H. Hsieh, T. Brun, and I. Devetak, "Entanglement-assisted quantum quasicyclic low-density parity-check codes," Phys. Rev. A., vol. 79, Mar. 2009.
- Y. Dong, X. Deng,M. Jiang, Q. Chen, and S. Yu, "Entanglement-enhanced quantum error-correcting codes," Phys. Rev. A., vol. 79, Apr. 2009.
- Y. Fujiwara, D. Clark, P. Vandendriessche, M. D. Boeck. and V. D. Tonchev, "Entanglement-assisted quantum low-density parity-check codes," Phys. Rev. A., vol. 82, Oct. 2010.
- F. Yuichiro and D. T. Vladimir. (2011). "A characterization of entanglement- assisted quantum low-density parity-check codes," [Online]. Available : http://arxiv.org/abs/1108.0679v2
- Y. Fujiwara and M. H. Hsieh, "Adaptively correcting quantum errors with entanglement," in Proc. IEEE ISIT, Petersburg, Russia, May 2011, pp. 279-283.
- M. H. Hsieh,W. T. Yen, and L.Y. Hsu, "High performance entanglementassisted quantum LDPC codes need little entanglement," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, vol. 57, pp. 1761-1769, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.2011.2104590
- D. Cao and Y. L. Song, "A class of check matrices constructed from Euclidean geometry and their application to quantum LDPC codes," J. Commun. Netw., vol. 15, no. 1, pp 71-76, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/JCN.2013.000012