- Volume 25 Issue 2
Conflict of Interest Groups on the Health Insurance Policy Deliberation Committee Affect the Medical Insurance Cost of Physical Therapy
건강보험정책심의위원회의 이익집단 간 대립이 물리치료 수가에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Yushin (Department of Health Science, Graduate School of Korea University) ;
- Yoon, Bumchul (Department of Physical Therapy, College of Health Science, Korea University)
- Received : 2013.03.12
- Accepted : 2013.04.15
- Published : 2013.04.25
Purpose: The aim of this study was to demonstrate that non-participation of physical therapists on the political decision-making committee results in invasion of their interests. Methods: To demonstrate the effects, we analyzed the change of medical insurance score decided by the Health Insurance Policy Deliberation Committee between 2001 and 2012 years, focusing on medical examination as the interest of the participation group and physical therapy cost as interest of the non-participation group. Results: Total medical insurance cost increased by 23.72%, on average. Medical examination cost increased by 23.90% and 37.66% in medical examination for new and established patients, respectively. However, physical therapy cost was reduced by 5.01%. The medical examination cost for physical therapy without medical checkup increased by 2.62%. Conclusion: This study shows that the physical therapy cost, related on the interest of the non-participative group in the Health Insurance Policy Deliberation Committee, rather decreased while the total medical insurance cost increased.These findings demonstrate the invasion of the non-participative group on the Health Insurance Policy Deliberation Committee. Thus, aggressive participation in political decision-making committee is necessary in order to protect and increase rights and interests of Korean physical therapists.
- Howlett M, Ramesh M, Perl A. Studying public policy: policy cycles & policy subsystems. 3rd ed. New York, Oxford University Press, 2009:69-72.
- Kim JY. Role and influence of medical association on the revision of health care law: focused on the policy of the separation of dispensary from medical practice. Seoul National University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 2009.
- Shin SC. Problems and solutions for Korean medical fee contract system. Korean J Health Policy Admin. 2009;19(1):1-30.
- Lee TS. Health Insurance Policy Deliberation Committee, should we leave as it is? - Destrction of private-public cooperation in Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs. Welfare Trend. 2010;3(1):41-6.
- Kim SO, Han JT. 153% increase of the number of physical therapy in 2008 than in 2005 years. Seoul, National Health Insurance Corporation, 2010:1-16.
- Statistics Korea. Future population projection: 2010-2035 years, Statistics Korea, 2012:1-71.
- Yoon CG, Lee MH, Bae SS. Occurrence of physical therapy treatment in the management of patients with degenerative joint disease. Korean Soc Phys Med. 2008;3(4):301-7.
- Kim HJ. Research trends in physical therapy - focused on the journal of Korean society of physical therapy. J Korean Soc Phys Ther. 2002;14(2):207-13.
- Kim K, Park ES, Cho YH et al. A study on the development of standard curriculum for physical therapy in Korea. J Korean Soc Phys Ther. 2006;18(6):23-32.
- Kim HS, Shim JM, Park SS et al. The research of Korea physical therapy charge. Korean Soc Phys Med. 2010;5(2):173-82.
- Shim JH, Yoon TH. Analysis of factors that influence the job satisfaction of physical therapists. J Korean Soc Phys Ther. 2011;23(1):67-75.
- Bang SB, Lee YS. Comparison of the perception of service quality between patients and physical therapists. Phys Ther Korea. 2010;17(2):75-83.
- Kingdon JW. Agendas, alternatives, and public policies. 2nd ed. New York, Longman, 2011:118-9.
- Park SK, Ji HY, Heo JW. Effects of home visiting physical therapy on activites of daily living and function in disabled persons living at home. J Korean Soc Phys Ther. 2011;23(2):61-8. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.23.61
- Hwang BY, Han SD, Lee EJ. Effects of home visiting physical therapy on motor function and ADL in the persons with chronic stroke. J Korean Soc Phys Ther. 2003;15(4):319-30.
- Han DW, Moon TH, Lee EM et al. Development of the system for home visiting physical therapy. J Korean Soc Phys Ther. 2005;17(1):1-26. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.17.1