- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Numerical Simulations on the Thermal Flow and Particle Behaviors in the Gas Reversal Chamber of a Syngas Cooler for IGCC
IGCC 합성가스 냉각기 GRC의 열유동 및 입자거동 특성에 대한 전산해석 연구
- Received : 2013.03.01
- Accepted : 2013.03.19
- Published : 2013.03.31
In the Shell coal gasification process, the syngas produced in a gasifier passes through a syngas cooler for steam production and temperature control for gas cleaning. Fly slag present in the syngas may cause major operational problems such as erosion, slagging, and corrosion, especially in the upper part of the syngas cooler (gas reversal chamber, GRC). This study investigates the flow, heat transfer and particle behaviors in the GRC for a 300 MWe IGCC process using computational fluid dynamics. Three operational loads of 100%, 75% and 50% were considered. The gas and particle flows directly impinged on the wall opposite to the syngas inlet, which may lead to erosion of the membrane wall. The heat transfer to the wall was mainly by convection which was larger on the side wall at the inlet level due to the expansion of the cross-section. In the evaporator below the GRC, the particles were concentrated more on the outer channels, which needs to be considered for alleviation of fouling and blockage.
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)
- C. Higman, M. Van Der Burgt, Gasification, Gulf Professional Publishing, 2008.
- N. P. Cheremisinoff, R. R. J. Rezaiyan. Gasification Technologies, CRC Press, 2005.
- L. Zheng, E. Furinsky, "Comparison of Shell, Texaco, BGL and KRW Gasifiers as part of IGCC Plant Computer Simulations", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 46, 2005, pp. 1767-1779. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2004.09.004
- 예인수, 박상빈, 류창국, 김유석, "석탄 분류층 가스화기 전산유동 해석 시 해석 모델의 영향 평가", 한국연소학회 KOSCO SYMPOSIUM 논문집, 2012, pp. 37-40.
- P. Wang, M. Massoudi, "Slag Behavior in Gasifiers. Part 1: Influence of Coal Properties and Gasification Conditions", Energies, Vol. 6, 2013, pp. 784-896. https://doi.org/10.3390/en6020784
- D. Brooker, "Chemistry of Deposit Formation in a Coal Gasification Syngas Cooler", Fuel, Vol. 72, 1993, pp. 665-670. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-2361(93)90579-Q
- S. O. Akansu, "Heat transfers and Pressure Drops for Porous-ring Turbulators in a Circular Pipe", Applied Energy, Vol. 83, 2006, pp. 280-298. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2005.02.003
- S. Ghosal, S. A. Self, "Particle Size-density Relation and Cenosphere Content of Fly Ash", Fuel, Vol. 74, 1995, pp. 522-529. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-2361(95)98354-H
- B. D. Bowen, M. Fournier, J. R. Grace, "Heat Transfer in Membrane Waterwalls", Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 34, 1991, pp. 1043-1057. https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(91)90015-7
- T. H. Shih, W. W. Liou, A. Shabbir, Yang, J. Zhu, "A New k Eddy Viscosity Model for High Reynolds Number Turbulent Flows Model Development and Validation", Computers and Fluids, Vol. 24, 1995, pp. 227-238. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7930(94)00032-T
- E. H. Chui, G. D. Raithby, "Computation of Radiant Heat Transfer on a Non-Orthogonal Mesh Using the Finite-Volume-Method", Numerical Heat Transfer, Vol. 23, 1993, pp. 269-288. https://doi.org/10.1080/10407799308914901