- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
U-Pb(SHRIMP) and K-Ar Age Dating of Intrusive Rocks and Skarn Minerals at the W-Skarn in Weondong Deposit
원동 중석 스카른대에서의 관입암류와 스카른광물에 대한 U-Pb(SHRIMP) 및 K-Ar 연대
- Received : 2013.08.26
- Accepted : 2013.09.27
- Published : 2013.09.30
The geology of the weondong deposit area consists mainly of Cambro-Ordovician and Carboniferous-Triassic formations, and intruded quartz porphyry and dyke. The skarn mineralized zone in the weondong deposit is the most prospective region for the useful W-mineral deposits. To determine the skarn-mineralization age, U-Pb SHRIMP and K-Ar age dating methods were employed. The U-Pb zircon ages of quartz porphyry intrusion (WD-A) and feldspar porphyry dyke (WD-B) are 79.37 Ma and 50.64 Ma. The K-Ar ages of coarse-grained crystalline phlogopite (WD-1), massive phlogopite (WDR-1), phlogopite coexisted with skarn minerals (WD-M), and vein type illite (WD-2) were determined as
Weondong deposit;zircon U-Pb (SHRIMP) age dating;K-Ar age dating;high Uranium zircon;zircon metamictization texture;zircon dissolution-reprecipitation texture
- Ahrens, L.H. (1965). Some observations on the uranium and thorium distributions in accessory zircon from granitic rocks. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 29, 711-716. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-7037(65)90064-5
- Chi, S.J., Kang, I.-M., Kim, Y.U., Kim, E.-J., Kim, I.J., Park, S,-W., Lee, J.H., Lee, J.S., Lee, H.Y., Jin, K., Heo, C.-H., and Hong, Y.-K. (2011) Evaluation of development possibility for the security of industrial mineral resources (Cu, Pb, Zn, Au etc) on the domestic mines: Korea Institute Geoscience and Mineral Resources, GP2010-024-2011(2), 33-135.
- Cho, D.L. and Kwon, S.T. (1994) Hornblende geobarometry of the Mesozoic granitoids in South Korea and the evolution of crustal thickness. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, 30, 41-61.
- Choi, S.-G., Ryu, I.-C., Pak, S.J., Wee, S.-M., Kim, C.S., and Park, M.-E. (2005a) Cretaceous epithermal gold–silver mineralization and geodynamic environment, Korea. Ore Geology Reviews, 26, 115-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oregeorev.2004.10.005
- Choi, S.-G., Kwon, S.-T., Ree, J.-H., So, C.-S., and Pak S.J. (2005b) Origin of Mesozoic gold mineralization in South Korea. The Island Arc, 14, 102-114. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1738.2005.00459.x
- Choi, S.-G., Pak, S.J., Kim, S.W., Kim, C.S., and Oh, C.-W. (2006) Mesozoic Gold-Silver Mineralization in South Korea: Metallogenic Provinces Reestimated to the Geodynamic Setting. Economic and Environmental Geology, 39, 567-581.
- Choi, S.-G. and Pak, S.J. (2007) The Origin and Evolution of the Mesozoic Ore-forming Fluids in South Korea: Their Genetic Implications. Economic and Environmental Geology, 40, 517-535.
- Farrar, E., Clark, A.H., and Kim, O.J. (1978) Age of the Sangdong tungsten deposits, Republic of Korea, and its bearing on metallogeny of the southern Korean Peninsula. Economic Geology, 76, 547-566.
- Geisler, T., Rashwan, A.A., Rahn, M., Poller, U., Zwingmann, H., Pidgeon, R.T., Schleicher, H., and Tomaschek, F. (2003) Low-temperature hydrothermal alteration of natural metamict zircons from the Eastern Desert, Egypt. Mineralogical Magazine, 67, 485-508. https://doi.org/10.1180/0026461036730112
- Geisler, T., Schaltegger, U., and Tomaschek, F. (2007) Re-equilibration of Zircon in Aqueous Fluids and Melts. Elements, 3, 43-50. https://doi.org/10.2113/gselements.3.1.43
- Hanchar, J.M. and Hoskin, P.W.O. (2003). Zircon, 53, 500 p. Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry, Mineralogical Society of America and the Geochemical Society, Chantilly, Virginia.
- Hwang, D.H. and Lee, J.Y. (1998) Ore genesis of the Wondong polymetallic mineral deposits in the Taebaegsan Metallogenic Province. Economic and Environmental Geology, 31, 375-388.
- Itaya, T., Nagao, K., Inoue, K., Honjou, Y., Okada, T., and Ogata, A. (1991). Argon isotope analysis by a newly developed mass spectrometric system for K-Ar dating. Mineralogical journal, 15, 203-221. https://doi.org/10.2465/minerj.15.203
- Lee, J.H. (2011) The results of drilling in weondong mine area, the Taebaegsan mineralized district, Republic of Korea. Economic and Environmental Geology, 44, 313-320. https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2011.44.4.313
- Ludwig, K.R. (2003) User's manual for Isoplot 3.00: a geochronogical toolkit for Mirosoft Excel. Berkeley Geochronology, Center Special Publication, p.47.
- Maruyama, S., Isozaki, Y., Kimura, G., and Terabayashi, M. (1997) Paleogeographic maps of the Japanese Islands: Plate tectonic synthesis from 750Ma to the present. Island Arc, 6, 121-142. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1738.1997.tb00043.x
- Paces, J.B. and Miller, J.D. (1993) Precise U-Pb ages of Duluth Complex and related mafic intrusions, northeastern Minnesota: geochronological insights to physical, petrogenetic, paleomagnetic, and tectonomagmatic processes associated with the 1.1 Ga midcontinent rift system. Journal of Geophysical Research 98, 13997-14013. https://doi.org/10.1029/93JB01159
- Park, H.-I., Chang, H.W., and Jin, M.S. (1988) K-Ar ages of mineral deposits in the Taebaeg Mountain district. The Journal of Korean Institute of Mining Geology, 21, 57-67.
- Sato, K., Shibata, K., Uchiumi, S., and Shimazaki, H. (1981) Mineralization age of the Shinyemi Zn-Pb- Mo deposit in the Taebaegsan area, Southern Korea. Mining Geology, 31, 333-336
- Shore, M. and Fowler, A.D. (1996). Oscillatory zoning in minerals; a common phenomenon. The Canadian Mineralogist, 34(6), 1111-1126.
- Utsunomiya, S., Valley, J.W., Cavosie, A.J., Wilde, S. A., and Ewing, R.C. (2007) Radiation damage and alteration of zircon from a 3.3 Ga porphyritic granite from the Jack Hills, Western Australia. Chemical Geology, 236, 92-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2006.09.003
- Williams, I.S. (1998) U-Th-Pb geochronology by ion microprobe. In: Mickibben, M.A., Shanks III, W.C., Ridley, W.I. (eds.), Applications of Micro Analytical Techniques to Understanding Mineralizing Processes. Reviews of Economic Geology, 7, 1-35. https://doi.org/10.1080/07474938808800138
- Xu, X.S., Zhang, M., Zhu, K.Y., Chen, X.M., and He, Z.Y. (2012) Reverse age zonation of zircon formed by metamictisation and hydrothermal fluid leaching. Lithos, 150, 256-267. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lithos.2011.12.014
- Yun S. and Silberman M.L.(1979) K-Ar geochronology of igneous rocks in the Yeonhwa-Ulchin zinc-lead district and southern margin of the Taebaegsan basin, Korea. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, 15, 89-99.
- Metasomatic changes during periodic fluid flux recorded in grandite garnet from the Weondong W-skarn deposit, South Korea vol.451, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2017.01.011
- Spectral characteristics of minerals associated with skarn deposits: a case study of Weondong skarn deposit, South Korea vol.20, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12303-015-0043-0
- Skarn zonation and rock physical properties of the Wondong Fe-Pb-Zn polymetallic deposit, Korea vol.19, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12303-015-0017-2
- Oscillatory zoning in skarn garnet: Implications for tungsten ore exploration vol.89, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oregeorev.2017.08.003
- Recrystallization and hydrothermal growth of high U–Th zircon in the Weondong deposit, Korea: Record of post-magmatic alteration vol.260, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lithos.2016.05.026
- Reactivated Timings of Yangsan Fault in the Sangcheon-ri Area, Korea vol.49, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2016.49.2.97
Supported by : 한국지질자원연구원