- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Geochemical Interpretation of Phase Transform and Fe-leaching Efficiency for Pyrite by Microwave Energy and Ammonia Solution
마이크로웨이브 에너지에 의한 황철석의 상변환과 암모니아 용액에 의한 Fe-용출 효율에 관한 지구화학적 해석
- Received : 2013.07.18
- Accepted : 2013.09.26
- Published : 2013.09.30
In order to effectively leach Fe from pyrite, the application of microwave energy and ammonia solution has been conducted. Pyrite transforms into hematite and pyrrhotite when treated with microwave radiation for 60 minutes, and in this time the highest amount of Fe was leached by the ammonia solution. Up to 99% of the Fe was leached when the experimental conditions were: 325-400 mesh particle size for the pyrite and 60 min. was the microwave exposure time. The ammonia leaching conditions were 0.3 M sulfuric acid, 2.0 M ammonium sulfate and 0.1 M hydrogen peroxide concentration. The pyrite, hematite, and pyrrhotite were not detected using XRD analysis from the solid-residues treated by the ammonia solution except for quartz.
microwave energy;pyrite;hematite;pyrrhotite;ammonia solution
- Al-Harahsheh, M. and Kingman, S.W. (2004) Microwave- assisted leaching-a review, Hydrometallurgy, 73, 189-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hydromet.2003.10.006
- Amankwah, R.K. and Ofpri-Sarpong, G. (2011) Microwave heating of gold ores for enhanced grindability and cyanide amenability, Minerals Engineering, 24, 541-544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mineng.2010.12.002
- Amankwah, R.K., Khan, A.U., Pickles, C.A., and Yen, W.T., (2005), Improved grindability and gold liberation by microwave pretreatment of a free-milling gold ore, Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy (Trans. Inst. Min. Metall. C), 114, C30-C36. https://doi.org/10.1179/037195505X28447
- Ambikadevi, V.R. and Lalithambika, M. (2000) Effect of organic acids on ferric iron removal from ironstained kaolinite, Applied Clay Science, 16, 133-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-1317(99)00038-1
- Beckstead, L.W. and Miller, J.D. (1977) Ammonia, oxidation leaching of chalcopyrite-reaction kinetics, Metallurgical Transactions B, 8B, 19-29.
- Das, R.P. and Anand, S. (1995) Precipitation of iron oxides from ammonia-ammonium sulphate solutions, Hydrometallurgy, 38, 161-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-386X(94)00052-5
- Haque, K.E. (1999) Microwave energy for mineral treatment processes-a brief review, International Journal of Mineral Processing, 57, 1-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-7516(99)00009-5
- Harris, D.C. (1990) The mineralogy of gold and its relevance to gold recoveries, Mineral Deposita, 25, 3-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00205243
- Huang, J.H. and Rowson, N.A. (2001) Heating characteristics and decomposition of pyrite and marcasite in a microwave field, Minerals Engineering, 14, 1113-1117. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-6875(01)00117-0
- Huang, J.H. and Rowson, N.A. (2002) Hydrometallurgical decomposition of pyrite and marcasite in a microwave field, Hydrometallurgy, 64, 169-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-386X(02)00041-5
- Hwang, J.Y., Shi, S., Xu, Z., and Huang, X. (2002) Oxygenated leaching of copper sulfide mineral under microwave-hydrothermal conditions, Journal of materials & Materials Characterization & Engineering, 2, 111-119.
- Kim, B.J., Cho, K.H., Oh, S.J., Choi, S.H., Choi, N.C., and Park, C.Y. (2013a) Mineralogical phase transform of salt-roasted concentrate and enhancement of gold leaching by chlorine-hypochlorite solution, Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, 26, 9-18 (In Korea with English Abstract). https://doi.org/10.9727/jmsk.2013.26.1.9
- Kim, B.J., Cho, K.H., Oh, S.J., On, H.S., Kim, B.J., Choi, N.C., and Park, C.Y. (2013b) Application of roasting pretreatment for gold dissolution from the invisible gold concentrate and mineralogical interplatation of their digested products, Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, 26, 45-54 (In Korea with English Abstract). https://doi.org/10.9727/jmsk.2013.26.1.45
- Kingman, S.W. and Rowson, N.A. (1998) Microwave treatment of minerals-a review, Minerals Engineering, 11, 1081-1087. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-6875(98)00094-6
- Kingman, S.W., Jackson, K., Bradshaw, S.M., Rowson, N.A., and Greenwood, R. (2004) An investigation into the influence of microwave treatment on mineral ore comminution, Powder Technology, 146, 176-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2004.08.006
- Kojonen, K. and Johanson, B. (1999) Determination of refractory gold distribution by microanalysis, diagnostic leaching and image analysis, Mineralogy and Petrology, 67, 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01165112
- Liu, C., Xu, Y., and Hua, Y. (1990) Application of microwave radiation to extractive metallurgy, Chin. J. Met. Sci. Technol., 6, 121-124.
- Maddox, L.M., Bancroft, G.M., Scaini, M.J., and Lorimer, J.W. (1998) Invisible gold: comparison of Au deposition on pyrite and arsenopyrite, American Mineralogist, 83, 1240-1245.
- Mohapatra, M., Anand, S., Das, R.P., Upadhyay, C., and Verma, H.C. (2002) Aqueous reduction of crystalline goethite under ammonical conditions, Hydrometallurgy, 65, 227-235. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-386X(02)00096-8
- Nanthakumar, B., Pickles, C.A., and Kelebek, S. (2007) Microwave pretreatment of a double refractory gold ore, Minerals Engineering, 20, 1109-1119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mineng.2007.04.003
- Panias, D., Taxiarchou, M., Paspaliaris, I., and Kontopoulos, A. (1996) Mechanism of dissolution of iron oxides in aqueous oxalic acid solutions, Hydrometallurgy, 42, 257-265. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-386X(95)00104-O
- Rao, K.S., Das, R.P., Mukunda, P.G., and Ray, H.S. (1993) Use of X-ray diffraction in a study of ammonia leaching of multimetal studies, Metallurgical Transactions B, 24B, 937-945.
- Uslu, T., Atalay, U., and Arol, A.I. (2003a) Effect of microwave heating on magnetic separation of pyrite, Colloids and Surface A, 225, 161-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0927-7757(03)00362-5
- Uslu, T. and Atalay, U. (2003b) Microwave heating of coal for enhanced magnetic removal of pyrite, Fuel Processing Technology, 85, 21-29.
- Veglio, F., Passariello, B., Barbaro, M., Plescia, P., and Marabini, A.M. (1998) Drum leaching tests in iron removal from quartz using oxalic and sulphuric acids, International Journal of Mineral Processing, 54, 183-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-7516(98)00014-3
- Veglio, F., Trifoni, M., Pagnanelli, F., and Toro, L. (2001) Shrinking core model with variable activation energy: a kinetic model of manganiferous ore leaching with sulphuric acid and lactose, Hydrometallurgy, 60, 167-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-386X(00)00197-3
- Vorster, W., Rowson, N.A., and Kingman (2001) The effect of microwave radiation upon the processing of Neves Corvo copper ore, International Journal of Mineral Processing, 63, 29-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-7516(00)00069-7
- Wei, X., Viadero, Jr, R.C., and Buzby, K.M. (2005) Recovery of iron and aluminum from acid mine drainage by selective precipitation, Environmental Engineering Science, 22, 745-755. https://doi.org/10.1089/ees.2005.22.745
- The Effect of Microwave Heating on the Mineralogical Phase Transformation of Pyrite and Fe Leaching vol.28, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9727/jmsk.2015.28.3.233
- Selective Phase Transformation of Arsenopyrite by Microwave Heating and their Enhancement Au Recovery by Thiocyanate Solution vol.27, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9727/jmsk.2014.27.2.73
Supported by : 조선대학교