- Volume 46 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
General Geochemical Characteristics of Dashinchilen Nb-Ta and Sant Cu Occurrences in Southeastern Part of Khangai Area, Mongolia
몽골 항가이 남동부 지역 다신칠렌 탄탈륨-니오븀 및 산트 동 산출지의 지구화학적 특성 개요
- Kim, In Joon (Mineral Resources Research Department, Mineral Resources Research Division, Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources) ;
- Lee, Bum Han (Mineral Resources Research Department, Mineral Resources Research Division, Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources) ;
- Heo, Chul-Ho (Mineral Resources Research Department, Mineral Resources Research Division, Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources)
- 김인준 (한국지질자원연구원 광물자원연구본부 광물자원연구실) ;
- 이범한 (한국지질자원연구원 광물자원연구본부 광물자원연구실) ;
- 허철호 (한국지질자원연구원 광물자원연구본부 광물자원연구실)
- Received : 2013.05.28
- Accepted : 2013.09.19
- Published : 2013.10.28
We performed reconnaissance survey on Dashinchilen Nb-Ta REE area and Sant Cu area which are located in southeastern part of Khangai rare metals mineralized belt. In Dashinchilen area, Nb and Ta have been found in pegmatitic granite that is largely distributed in the survey area and muscovite in pegmatite which is an intrusion in paleozoic sedimentary rocks which are mostly composed of sandstone. While grades of Nb and Ta are not high, an outcrop that has high Th and U contents (542 ppm of Th and 56.9 ppm of U) has been found. Average and maximum REE contents in the survey area is three times and seven times, respectively, larger than average REE contents in the crust of the Earth. In Sant area, copper oxides such as malachite has been found in quartzite in paleozoic sedimentary rocks. A sedimentary rock formation that has high grade of Mn (12.4-34.6 %) has been found in the survey area. This sedimentary rock formation is the same formation with that of Ugii Nuur Fe-Mn mineralization which is located about 200 km northwest of the survey area. Average and maximum REE contents in the survey area is two and half times and seven times, respectively, larger than average REE contents in the crust of the Earth. According to the factor analysis for the data of the geochemical analysis, Nb and Ta in Dashinchilen area are highly correlated with muscovite and Cu in Sant area is highly correlated with Mo, Sn, and Bi. Furthermore, the factor analysis results show that Fe in Sant area was deposited with rare earth elements.
Grant : 해외광물자원탐사 및 자원량평가
Supported by : 한국지질자원연구원
- Dejidmaa, G. and Oyuntuya, N. (2007) Geologic map of L-48-2 (1:200,000 scale) in Mongolia. Mineral Resources Authoiry of Mongolia.
- Dejidmaa, G., Otgon-erdene, D. and Gurragchaa, I. (2010) Geologic map of L-48-14 (1:200,000 scale) in Mongolia. Mineral Resources Authoiry of Mongolia.
- Elsner, H., Buchholz, P., Schmitz, M. and Altangerel, T. (2011) Industrial minerals and selected rare metals in Mongolia: An investors' guide. Mineral Resources of Authority of Mongolia. 322p.
- Fetherston, J.M. (2004) Tantalum in Western Australia. Geological Survey of Western Australia. Mineral Resources Bulletin. 22, 16p.
- Krumbein, W.C. and Garrels, R.M. (1952) Origin and classification of chemical sediment in terms of pH and oxidation-reduction potentials. Journal of Geology. 60, 1-83. https://doi.org/10.1086/625929
- Ministry of Knowledge Economy and Korea Resources Corporation (2011) Mining Law. Legidlative system for Mining law 2011-001, 421p.
- Papp, J.F. (2009) Niobium and tantalum. 2009 Minerals Yearbook. USGS. 52.1-52.14.
- Roskill (2009) The economics of tantalum.-Roskill Market Reports. Roskill Information Services Ltd. 152p.