- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Life Respect-related Content Portrayed in the 7th to 10th Grade Textbooks in Middle and High Schools
인간생명존중에 대한 중.고등학교 교과서 내용분석
- Kang, Kyung-Ah (Department of nursing, Sahmyook University) ;
- Kim, Young-Hee (Department of nursing, Kaya University) ;
- Lee, Jung-Jae (School of Health in Social Science, University of Edinburgh) ;
- Lee, Myung-Nam (College of Nursing, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2013.08.21
- Accepted : 2013.10.03
- Published : 2013.10.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to analyze life respect-related content in the 7th to 10th grade textbooks of middle and high schools. Methods: Sixty two textbooks adopted as middle and high school textbooks were analyzed for content on life respect. Results: There were 6 categories related to life respect content in the 7th to 9th grade textbooks ("prevention of accidents and the first-aid", "mental health", "sex and health", "prevention of drug abuse, smoking and drinking", "normal life and health", and "society and health"). Content on life respect in the 10th grade textbooks was categorized as "drug abuse, smoking, drinking, and health", "sex and health", "mental health", "life science and treating human life too lightly", "normal life and health", and "society and health". Conclusion: Content on life respect attached importance to more practical issue such as prevention of violence and suicide rather than fundamental understanding about self and life. These results suggest that the content on life respect should help adolescents find their own values and meaning of life within the concept of coexistence.
- Chung, M. R. (2002). A comparative study of respect education for living things reflected in the kindergarten curriculum and elementary curriculum between Korean and Japan. The Journal of Curriculum Studies, 20(4), 159-185.
- Jung, M. S., Choi, H. W., & Li, D. M. (2010). Analysis of nursing-related content portrayed in middle and high school textbooks under the national common basic curriculum in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 40(1), 33-42. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.1.33
- Kang, K. A., Kim, S. J., & Song, M. K. (2011). Development and evaluation of a finding meaning in life CD program for life-esteemed education of older school-age children. Journal of Korean Academy of Society Nursing Education, 17(3), 487-500. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.3.487
- Kim, S. J., Kang, K. A., & Bang, K. M. (2010). Contents analysis of meaning in life of higher grade elementary school students. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 16(4), 287-296. https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2010.16.4.287
- Kim, H. S., Kang, K. A., Kim, S. J., Kim, H. O., Moon, S. Y., Park, S. N., et al. (2013). Child adolescence health nursing. Seoul: Koonja.
- Kim, S. J., Lee, J. E., Kang, K, A., Song, M. K., Chang, E. Y., & Kim, S. H. (2008). Contents analysis of first aid in elementary, middle and high school textbooks. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 14(2), 163-175.
- Kim, D. K., & Yu, J. C. (2005). Mass media research. Seoul: Naman.
- Lee, B. N. (2004). The necessity and direction of life-esteemed education for young children. The Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, 9(1), 143-163.
- Lee, S. Y. (2001). An ethnography of child-rearing experiences of Korean mothers living on Koje island. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 7(4), 518-535.
- Meleis, A. L. (2007). Theoretical nursing: Development and progress. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology. (2007, July 10). Textbook regulations. Retrieved August 2, 2008, from http://www.mest.go.kr/ me_kor/search/search.jsp
- Minjung Publishing Co. (Ed.). (2000). Minjung's essence Korean-English dictionary (4th ed.). Seoul: Author.
- So, K. H. (1994). Life-respect and education. Life Research, 2, 291-296.
- Statistics Korea. (2010). Annual report of death cause. Seoul: Statistics Korea.
- Warren, M. A. (1997). Moral status. New York: Clarendon Press.