- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of a Prevention Program for Media Addiction on Television Addiction, Internet Addiction, Cellular Addiction, and Impulsiveness in Elementary School Students
매체 중독 예방 프로그램이 초등학생의 텔레비전 중독, 인터넷 중독, 휴대전화 중독 및 충동성에 미치는 효과
- Koo, Hyun-Young (College of Nursing, Catholic University of Daegu)
- 구현영 (대구가톨릭대학교 간호대학)
- Received : 2013.08.13
- Accepted : 2013.10.23
- Published : 2013.10.31
Purpose: This study was done to develop a prevention program for media addiction in elementary school students, and to examine its effects on television addiction, internet addiction, cellular phone addiction, and impulsiveness. Methods: The study was designed using a nonequivalent control group pretest-posttest design. The participants were 58 elementary school students (29 in the experimental group and 29 in the control group). Students in the experimental group were given the prevention program for media addiction. The data were analyzed using the SPSS/WIN 19.0 program. Results: Students in the experimental group reported a significant decrease in television addiction compared to students in the control group. Conclusion: The results of the study indicate that the prevention program for media addiction was effective in decreasing television addiction in elementary school students.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Barratt, E. S., & White, R. (1969). Impulsiveness and anxiety related to medical students' performance and attitudes. Journal of Medical Education, 44, 604-607.
- Cho, B. H. (2001). Human development. Seoul: Kyoukkahaksa.
- Jang, H. J., & Chae, K. M. (2006). The psychological characteristics of adolescents with technological addiction: Cellular phone addiction. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 11, 839-852.
- Jang, H. J., & Shin, H. J. (2003). The effect of a protection program for adolescent excessive use of internet. Korean Journal of Counseling & Psychotherapy, 15, 651-672.
- Kang, J. H., & Koo, B. J. (2010). The effect of watching TV and computer on physical activity and self-efficacy in children. Journal of the Korean Society for the Study of Physical Education, 15(1), 201-212.
- Kang, J. S., Choi, K. J., & Chang, S. J. (2011). A study of the development media education methods for adolescent television addiction: Focusing on FGI with media education experts and teachers. Journal of Communication Science, 11(4), 35-67.
- Kim, S. A., & Kim, S. E. (2012). A meta-analysis of research trend on media addiction in Korea. Media, Gender and Culture, 23, 5-45.
- Kang, J. S., & Lee, J. Y. (2011). Q methodological research of cause and prevention of youth TV addiction: Focusing on subjective case of media education experts and teachers. Korean Journal of Journalism and Communication Studies, 55(1), 79-108.
- Kim, H. S. (2000). Caught in the net. Seoul: The house of sharing.
- Kim, J. Y., & Ryu, H. S. (2003). Relationships among school children's internet addiction, family environment and school adjustment. The Korean Journal of Child Health Nursing, 9, 198-205.
- Ko, J. H. (2006). Saving my child who addicted cellular phone. Seoul: Yedam.
- Koo, H. Y. (2011a). Development and effects of a prevention program for cell phone addiction in middle school students. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 17, 91-99. http://dx.doi.org/10.4094/ jkachn.2011.17.2.91 https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2011.17.2.91
- Koo, H. Y. (2011b). Educational needs for children and parents regarding children's cell phone use. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 17, 296-305. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.2.296
- Koo, H. Y., & Park, H. S. (2010). Factors influencing cell phone addiction in adolescents. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 16, 56-65. http://dx.doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2010.16.1.56 https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2010.16.1.56
- Koo, H. Y. (2012). Effects of a cell phone use education program on knowledge, attitude, self-efficacy, and self-control of cell phone use in elementary school students. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 18, 109-118. http://dx.doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2012.18.3.109 https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2012.18.3.109
- Koo, H. Y., & Yoo, M. S. (2012). Development and validation study of a cell phone addiction scale for Korean children. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 18, 76-84. http://dx.doi.org/10.4094/ jkachn.2012.18.2.76 https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2012.18.2.76
- Lee, H. J., Kim, M. S., Son, H. K., Ahn, S. H., Kim, J. S., & Kim, Y. H. (2007). Discriminating power of socio-demographic and psychological variables on addictive use of cellular phones among middle school students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 37, 957-965. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.6.957
- Lee, E. O., Im, N. Y., & Park, H. A. (1998). Nursing/medical research and statistical analysis. Seoul: Soomoonsa.
- Lee, G. H. (2008). The relationship between media addiction and media flow in the internet environment. Journal of Korean Regional Development, 7(2), 243-263.
- Lee, H. C., & Ahn, C. Y. (2002). A study on the development and effectiveness of cognitive-behavioral therapy for internet game addiction. Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 7, 463-486. https://doi.org/10.1348/135910702320645426
- Lee, H. S. (1992). Impulsiveness test guide. Seoul: Hankook guidance.
- Lee, M. S., Oh, E. Y., Cho, S. M., Hong, M. J., & Moon, J. S. (2001). An assessment of adolescent internet addiction problems related to depression, social anxiety and peer relationships. Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 40(4), 616-626.
- Lee, S. B., Lee, K. K., Paik, K. C., Kim, H. W., & Shin, S. K. (2001). Relationship between internet addiction and anxiety, depression, and self efficacy in middle and high school students. Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 40(6), 1174-1184.
- Lim, J. S., Park, J. O., & Kim, S. S. (2004). Development of counseling support system model for improving student's internet addiction problem. Journal of the Korean Association of information Education, 8, 523-535.
- Oh, I. S., Kim, C. J., & Kim, C. (2007). The effects of a parent-child coun seling program on preventing elementary children's internet addiction. Journal of The Korean Association of information Education, 11, 307-316.
- Salama, O. E., Abou, E. I., & Naga, R. M. (2004). Cellular phones: Are they detrimental? The Journal of the Egyptian Public Health Association, 79, 197-223.
- Young, K. S. (1998). Caught in the net: How to recognize the signs of internet addiction and a winning strategy for recovery. New york, NY: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Yang, M. K., & Oh, W. O. (2007). Effects of the internet game addiction prevention educational program on self-control and time spent on internet games by elementary school students. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 13, 282-290.
- Yoon, G. A. (2002). Television watching, family social class, parental overweight, and parental physical activity levels in relation to childhood overweight. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 7(2), 177-187.
- Yoon, Y. T. (2009). A study on media education and media addiction. Journalism and Communication, 13(1), 45-67.