- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Meta-analysis of the Effects of Obesity Management Program for Children
국내 비만아동의 비만관리프로그램의 효과에 대한 메타분석
- Sung, Kyung-Suk (Department of Nursing, Gangneung-Wonju National University) ;
- Yoon, Young-Mi (Department of Nursing, Seoil University) ;
- Kim, Eun-Joo (Department of Nursing, Sangji University)
- Received : 2013.06.03
- Accepted : 2013.10.23
- Published : 2013.10.31
Purpose: The aims of this study is to analysis the effects of obesity management programs for children and to measure the differences in the effects by type and dependent variables in order to analyze the structures of the programs. Methods: Sixty-one peer-reviewed journals including child obesity and intervention studies published between 2000 and 2010 were included for meta-analysis. Effect size and statistics of homogeneity were by STAT 10.0. Results: A total of 61 studies were used in the analysis, and the effect size of the independent studies was determined to be -0.23 (95% CI, -0.32 ~ -0.15). Serum Leptin and Insulin were the big effect size among the studies that used dependent variables. The theses used in the research did not display publishing bias. Conclusion: Obesity management programs that have been confirmed to be effective need to be developed into regional protocols. A continuous control of obese children and research for effective intervention program are in need.
Supported by : 강릉원주대학교
- Barness, L. A., Opitz, J. M., & Gilbert-Barness, E. (2007). Obesity: Genetic, molecular, and environmental aspects. American Journal of Medical Genetic Part, 143, 3016-3034. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.32035
- Brownell, K. D., & Stunkard, A. J. (1978). Behavioral treatment of obesity in children. American Journal of Diseases of Children, 132(4), 403-412.
- Campfield, L. A., Smith, F. J., Guisez, Y., Devos, R., & Burn, P. (1995). Recombinant mouse OB protein: Evidence for a peripheral signal linking adiposity and central neural networks. Science, 269(5223), 546-549. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.7624778
- Caro, J. F., Kolaczynski, J. W., Nyce, M. R., Ohannesian, J. P., Opentanova, I., Goldman, W. H., et al. (1996). Decreased cerebrospinal-fluid/serum leptin ratio in obesity: A possible mechanism for leptin resistance. Lancet, 348(9021), 159-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(96)03173-X
- Caro, J. F., Sinha, M. K., Kolaczynski, J. M., Zang, P. L., & Considine, R. V. (1996). Leptin: The tale of an obesity gene. Diabetes, 45, 1455-1462. https://doi.org/10.2337/diab.45.11.1455
- Cho, H. C., & Lee, K. S. (2008). The Effect of 12-weeks walking on body composition, insulin and leptin obese children. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, 34, 1147-1156.
- Chung, S., Kim, K. S., Choi, I. K., & Kim, D. H. (2010). Insulin sensitivity and beta cell function in obese korean children and adolescents with normal glucose tolerance. Korean Society of Pediatric Endocrinology, 15(1), 19-25.
- Erickson, S. J., Rhobinson, T. N., Haydel, K. F., & Killen, J. D. (2000). Are overweight children unhappy? Body mass index, depressive symptoms, and overweight concerns in elementary school children. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, 154, 931-935. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpedi.154.9.931
- Higgins, J. P., Thompson, S. G., Deeks, J. J., & Alt, D. G. (2003). Measuring inconsistency in meta-analysis. British Medical Journal, 327, 557-560. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.327.7414.557
- Ho, M., Garnett, S. P., Baur, L., Burrows, T., Stewart, L., Neve, M., et al. (2012). Effectiveness of lifestyle intervention in child obesity: Systematic review with meta- analysis. Pediatrics, 130(6), e1647-1671. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2012-1176
- Kim, J. W., & Kim, H. J. (2007). Effect of combined exercise training on metabolic syndrome related factors in overweight and obese elementary school boys. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 46(5), 683-693.
- Kim, K. B., Lim, K. I., So, W. Y., Park, S. K., & Song, W. (2007). A metaanalysis of the effects of exercise therapy applied in obesity studies. The Korean Journal of Obesity, 16(4), 177-185.
- Kim, Y. H., Park, N. H., & Lee, S. M. (2004). The effects of obese program on the BMI, body composition, physical fitness, knowledge, eating behaviors on obesity elementary school. Korean Jouranl of Children Health Nursing, 10(1), 14-21.
- Kim, Y. S., Ju, H. O., Shin, Y. S., & Song, M. G. (2002). The survey on construction of obesity management program for primary, middle and high schools. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 19(3), 87-105.
- Koletzko, B., Girardet,. J. P., Klish, W., & Tobacco, O. (2002). Obesity in children and adolescents worldwide: Current views and future direction. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, 35, 205-212. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005176-200208000-00019
- Krauss, R. M., Eckel, R. H., Howard, B., Appel, L. J., Daniels, S. R., Deckelbaum, R. J., et al. (2000). AHA dietary guidelines: Revision 2000: A statement for healthcare professionals from the nutrition committee of the american heart association. Circulation, 102, 2284-2299. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.102.18.2284
- Kuhle, S., Kirk, S. F., Ohinmaa, A., & Veugelers, P. J. (2011). Comparison of ICD code-based diagnosis of obesity with measured obesity in children and the implications for health care cost estimates. BMC Medical Research Methodology, 11, 173. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-11-173 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-11-173
- Lee, H. Y. (2007). Effectiveness of obesity management programs: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 24(4), 131-146.
- Lee, J. Y. (2008). Meta-analysis. Endocrinology and Metabolism, 23(6), 361-378.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2009). The fourth Korea national health and nutrition examination survey (KNHANES IV), 2008 (2nd year). Seoul: Author.
- National Association for Sport and Physical Education. (2005). Physical education for lifelong fitness. IL: Human Kinetics.
- Ogden, C. L., Caroll, M. D., Curtin, L. R., McDowell, M. A., Tabak, C. J., & Flegal, K. M. (2006). Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999-2004. Journal of the American Medical Association, 295(13), 1549-1555. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.295.13.1549
- Oh, S. W. (2008). Diagnostic criteria for childhood obesity. Journal of Korean Society for Study of Obesity, 17(4), 188-190.
- Reaven, G. (2002). Metabolic syndrome: Pathology and implications for management of cardiovascular disease. Circulation, 106, 286-288. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000019884.36724.D9
- Shaw, V., & Lawson, M. (1994). Obesity. In Clinical paediatric dietics (pp. 288-289). Oxford: Blackwell Science.
- Shin, Y. (2005). A review of childhood obesity. Korean Journal of Child Health Nursing, 11(2), 240-245.
- Strauss, R. (1999). Childhood obesity. Current Problem of Pediatrics, 29, 5-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-9380(99)80011-5
- Wadden, T. A. (1993). The treatment of obesity: An overview. Obesity theory and therapy (2nd ed.). New York: Paven Press.
- Woo, M. J., & Lee, J. Y. (2007). The mediating effect of body image and the moderating effect of demographic data on psychosocial problems of obese children. The Korea Journal of Counseling, 8(2), 675-690. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.8.2.200706.675
- World Health Organization. (2008, April 18). 2008-2013 action plan for the global strategy for prevention and control of noncommunicable disease. Retrieved April 18, 2013, from http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/ 2009/9789241597418_eng.pdf