- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Health Disparity and Health Welfare among Children from Low-Income Families
저소득 가정 아동의 건강불평등과 건강 복지
- Kim, Hee-Soon (College of Nursing, Nursing Policy Research Institute, Yonsei University)
- 김희순 (연세대학교 간호대학)
- Received : 2013.09.25
- Accepted : 2013.10.20
- Published : 2013.10.31
Children from low income families are vulnerable to physical problems including obesity, asthma, hypertension and psychological problems including depression, anxiety. This study was done to identify trends in welfare policy for children from low-income families and future direction for solving health disparity problems. Dream Start is a government-sponsored project that offers services for vulnerable children, ages 0 (include pregnant woman) to 12 years and their families. The Korean Government has made an effort to alleviate health disparity through the 'Health Plan' by establishing health objectives. However, in spite of these efforts by the Korean government, health disparity has worsened in Korea. In order to strengthen family function as well as promote growth and development for vulnerable children, experts in child care need to be significantly involved in identifying neglected children in the community.
- Irwin, I. G., Siddiqi, A., & Hertzman, C. (2007). Early child development: A powerful equalizer. Final Report for the World Health Organization's Commission on the Social Determinants of Health, WHO.
- Ahn, Y. H., Baek, H. J., Ham, O. K., Kim, M. W., Lee, I. S., Lee, S. Y., et al. (2011). Health education. Seoul: Hyunmoonsa.
- Chen, E., Martin, A. D., & Matthews, K. A. (2006). Socioeconomic status and health: Do gradients differ within childhood and adolescence? Social Science & Medicine, 62(9), 2161-2170. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2005.08.054
- Hernandez, V. R., Montana, S., & Clarke, K. (2010). Child health inequality: Framing a social work response. Health & Social Work, 35(4), 291-301. https://doi.org/10.1093/hsw/35.4.291
- Laura, C., & Tony, L. (2012). Origins, purpose and future of Sure Start children's centres. Nursing Children and Young People, 24(1), 26-30.
- Khang, Y. H. (2005). Lifecourse approaches to socioeconomic health inequalities. Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, 38(3), 267-275.
- Kim, M. H., Jeon, G. J., & Seo, S. H. (2011). Health inequality in childhood. Health and Welfare Policy Forum, 176, 32-44.
- Korean Ministry of Health & Welfare (2009). Dreamstart. Retrieved September 8, 2013, from http://www.dreamstart.kr/
- Lee, B. J. (2010). Dream Start: The present situation and the subject to be solved. Welfare Trend, 143, 8-10. http://www.peoplepower21.org/670921
- Lee, D. G. (2013). Increasing the gap between the rich and the poor. Retrieved September 8, 2013, from http://www.seoul.co.kr/news/news-View.php?id=20130223001012
- Leftovers Love Sharing Community & National Youth Policy Institute. (2011). After-school student care service survey: Propriety analysis of using state survey and service supply & demand. Seoul: Author.
- Lynch, J., & Smith, G. D. (2005). A life course approach to chronic disease epidemiology. Annual Review of Public Health, 26, 1-35. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.publhealth.26.021304.144505
- Ministry of Health and Welfare & Headquarters for Community Child Center. (2012). Korean community child center survey. Seoul: Author.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare & Seoul National University R & DB Foundation. (2009). Korea youth-children survey. Seoul: Author.
- Nelson, B. B., Chung, P. J., DuPlessis, H. M., Flores, L., Ryan, G. W., & Kataoka, S. H. (2011). Strengthening families of children with developmental concerns: Parent perceptions of developmental screening and services in head start. Ethnicity & Disease, 21, 89-93.
- Oh, I. H., Lee, G., Oh, C. M., Choi, K. S., Choe, B. K., Choi, J. M., et al. (2009). Association between the physical activity of Korean adolescents and socioeconomic status. Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, 42(5), 305-314. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2009.42.5.305
- Park, Y., Patton, L., & Kim, H. (2010). Clustering of oral and general health risk behaviors in Korea adolescents: A national representative sample. Journal of Adolescent Health, 47(3), 277-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2010.02.003
- Shah, A. (2010). Poverty facts and stats. Retrieved September 8, 2013, from http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats
- Yu, K. H., & Lee, S. M. (2013). A voteless child, a budget without meat. Retrieved September 8, 2013, from http://news.donga.com/3/all/20130503/54868989/1