- Volume 46 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Status of Mineral Resources and Mining Development in North Korea
북한 광물자원 부존 및 개발현황 개요
- Koh, Sang Mo (Mineral Resources Research Division, Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources) ;
- Lee, Gill Jae (Mineral Resources Research Division, Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources) ;
- Yoon, Edward (Edward & Accountants)
- Received : 2013.07.02
- Accepted : 2013.08.12
- Published : 2013.08.28
The potential mineral resources in North Korea are magnesite, limestone, coal, graphite, iron, gold, silver, lead, and zinc. North Korea is mainly exporting coal and iron to China(70%) and EU countries. Gold ore reserves(or resources) in North Korea are about 2,000 tons and annual production is 2 tons based on metal. Major gold mines are Sooan, Holdong, and Daeyoodong mines and six smelters are operating. Fe ore reserves (or resources) are 4.3 billion tons and annual production is about 5 million tons based on 63.5% Fe. Major iron mines are Moosan, Leewon, Eunryul, Shinwon, and Jaeryong and 7 smelters are operating. Pb and Zn ore reserves(or resources) are Pb 470,000 tons and Zn 15 million tons, and annual productions are about Pb 26,000 tons and Zn 50,000 tons based on metal respectively. Major Pb-Zn mines are Gumdock and Seongcheon mines. Magnesite ore reserves(or resources) are 2.8 billion tons (95% MgO) and annual production is about 150,000 tons. Major magnesite mines are Ryongyang, Daeheung Youth and Ssangryong mines, and 5 magnesium refractory factories are operating. Apatite ore reserves(or resources) are 340 million tons(30%
North Korea;mineral resources;mining situation;potentiality
Grant : 해외 희유금속자원 탐사 및 부존잠재성평가
Supported by : 한국지질자원연구원
- Asia Times Online (2012) Rare earths bankroll North Korea's future: Asia Times Online, August 8.
- Byeon, J.K. (1992) Study on Metallic Minerals Industry in North Korea. KIGAM research report KR-92-B-17- 1992-R, 111p
- Byeon, J.K. (1993) Study on non-ferrous metallic minerals mining industry. KIGAM research report KR- 93-B-24-1993-R, 126p.
- Byeon, J.K. (1994) Study on ferrous metallic minerals industry in North Korea. KIGAM research report KR- 94-B-17-1994-R, 136p.
- Chi et al. (2012) Evaluation of development possibility for the security of industrial mineral resources (Cu, Pb, Zn, Au etc.) on the domestic mines. KIGAM Research Report, GP2010-024-2012(3).
- Hyundai Research Institute(2011) Issue and Task : High potential of mineral resources in North Korea. 11-24, 18p.
- Kim, Y.D., Park, H.S. Kim, S.Y. and Lee, J.H. (2005) A study on the mine development of North Korea and the Inetr-Korean mineral resources cooperation. Econ. Environ. Geol., v.38, p.197-206.
- KITA (2012) Status and development procedure of mineral resources in North Korea. 117p.
- KoFC (2010) Industry of North Korea. 759p.
- KORES (2008) Manual of mineral resources' development of North Korea. 167p.
- KORES (2009) Development status of mineral resources in North Korea.. unpublished.
- KORES (2011) Development status of mineral resources in North Korea.. unpublished.
- Son, H.D. (2011) Resources development lay system of North Korea and inter-Korean cooperation, 2011-12, 297p.
- SONOSA (2011) The North Korea mineral resources. 218p.
- USGS (2013) Mineral commodity summaries.
- USGS (2005-2012) Mineral yearbook.
- Yoon (2012) Status of North Korea minearls sector and seeking cooperation between South and North Koreas in natural resource development. unpublished.
- Yun, S.K. (1992) The assessment study of non-metallic mineral & coal resources of North Korea. KIGAM research report KR-92-B-18-1992-R, 142p.
- Yun, S.K. (1993) Geology & mineral resources of the north eastern part of North Korea. KIGAM research report KR-93-B-18-1993-R, 198p.
- A Study on Estimation of Economic Effects on Mining Products Import Substitution Using Macroeconometric Input-Output Model vol.47, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2014.47.3.237
- 3D Modeling Approaches in Estimation of Resource and Production of Musan Iron Mine, North Korea vol.48, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2015.48.5.391