- Volume 46 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Development of Designing and Performing Procedure for Well Test in Coalbed Methane(CBM) Reservoir
석탄층 메탄가스 저류층의 유정생산시험 설계 및 수행절차 수립연구
- Park, Jinyoung (Department of Energy and Resources Engineering, College of Engineering, Chonnam National University) ;
- Lee, Jeonghwan (Department of Energy and Resources Engineering, College of Engineering, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2013.05.20
- Accepted : 2013.08.11
- Published : 2013.08.28
The most critical factor in developing coalbed methane(CBM) reservoir is absolute permeability. Both productivity and economics of the CBM depend on the absolute permeability. The methods to estimate it are core analysis and well test. However, absolute permeability determined by core analysis cannot be a good representative of CBM reservoir. Therefore, it is generally estimated by well test. In this study, well test methods applicable of CBM reservoir were classified with their characteristics. Merits and demerits of each well tests were also analyzed. Based on those parameters, design considerations and procedures of well test were derived. After each well tests was performed, the procedure of well test interpretations to estimate reservoir properties such as absolute permeability and skin factor was presented.
coalbed methane;well test;slug test;injection falloff test;absolute permeability
Supported by : 한국지질자원연구원
- Aminian, K. (2006) Evaluation of Coalbed Methane Reservoirs. Petroelum & Natural Gas Engineering Department, West Virginia University, USA. p.1-14.
- Arenas, A.G. (2004) Development of Gas Production Type Curves for Coalbed Methane Reservoirs. MS Thesis, West Virginia University, USA, p.1-84.
- Association for the Study of Peak Oil & GAS (ASPO). (2009) http://aspoirelandfiles.wordpress.com/2009/12/ newsletter100_200904.pdf.
- Badri, M. and Clare, R. (1996) New Developments in Testing Procedure for Coalbed Methane Wells in Australia. Asia Pacific Oil and Gas Conference, Society of Petroleum Engineers, Adelaide, Australia, October 28-31, p.191-205.
- Bourgeois, M.J and Horne, R.N. (1993) Well-Test-Model Recognition Using Laplace Space. SPE Formation Evaluation, v.8, p.17-25. https://doi.org/10.2118/22682-PA
- Clarkson, C.R. and Bustin, R.M. (2011) Coalbed Methane: Current Field-Based Evaluation Methods. Jour. SPE Reservoir Evaluation & Engineering, v.14, p.60-75. https://doi.org/10.2118/131791-PA
- Conway, M.W., Mavor, M.J., Saulsberry, J., Barree, R.B. and Schraufnagel, R.A. (1994) Multi-Phase Flow Properties for Coalbed Methane Wells: A Laboratory and Field Study. Low Permeability Reservoirs Symposium, Society of Petroleum Engineers, Denver, Colorado, March 19-22, p.313-326.
- Cunningham, M.L. (2010) Technical Procedures of the U.S. Geological Survey, p.145-151.
- ExxonMobil Exploration. (2011) Coal Bed Methane (CBM) Permeability Testing. WTN Network Meeting, ExxonMobil, April 28-29, p.4.
- Gu, H., Elbel, J.L., Nolte, K.G. and Abousleiman, Y. (1993) Formation Permeability Determination Using Impulse-Fracture Injection. SPE Production Operations Symposium, Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, Mar. 21-23, p.189-201.
- Halliburton (2007) Coalbed Methane: Principles and Practices. Halliburton, Houston, p.196-209.
- Holditch, S.A. and Madani, H. (2010) Global Unconventional Gas-It Is There, But Is It Profitable. Jour. Petroleum Technology, v.62, p.42-49.
- Hollub, V.A. and Schafer, P.S. (1992) A Guide to Coalbed Methane Reservoir Operations. Gas Research Institute, Chicago, p.315-329.
- Hopkins, C.W., Frantz, J.H., Flumerfelt, R.W. and Spivey, J.P. (1998) Pitfalls of Injection/Falloff Testing in Coalbed Methane Reservoirs. SPE Permian Basin Oil and Gas Recovery Conference, Midland, Texas, March 23-26, p.9-24.
- Huh, D.G. and Lee, J.H. (2010) Unconventional Hydrocarbon Resources of the Next-generation Energy Era. Jour the Korean Society for Geosystem Engineering, v.47, p.978-981. (in Korean)
- International Energy Agency (IEA) (2012) World Energy Outlook 2012. IEA.
- Jang, H.C. and Lee, J.H. (2013) A Study on the Well Test Analysis of Coalbed Methane Using the BFP-IFT. Jour. the Korean Society of Mineral and Energy Resources Engineering, v.50, p.348-357. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.12972/ksmer.2013.50.3.348
- Johnson, K. and Lopez, S. (2003) The Nuts and Bolts of Falloff Testing. U.S. Environment Protection Agency.
- Kansas Geological Survey (KGS) (2006) Integrated Subsurface Carbon Sequestration and Enhanced Coalbed Natural Gas Recovery using Cement Kiln Emissions. Energy Research Reports.
- King, G.R. and Ertekin, T. (1989) A Survey of Mathematical Models Related to Methane Production from Coal Seams: Part I, Equilibrium Sorption Models. Coalbed Methane Symposium, Alabama, Tuscaloosa, April 17-20, 125p.
- Ko, H.J., Ko, D.C., Ki. W.S., Kim, J.H., Kim B.C., Kim T.H., Park, S.H., Park, I.H., Yum, B.W., Lee, S.G., Lee, S.R., Choi, B.Y. and Hwang, S.H. (2008) Exploration of Coalbed Methane. The Ministry of Knowledge Economy. Final Report. (in Korean)
- Lee, J.H. (2011) Development Status and Industrial Prospect of Unconventional Gas Resources. Jour. the Korea Gas Union, Autumn, p.43-52. (in Korean)
- Mahendra, S.K. (1997) Pressure Transient Testing in Coalbed. MS Thesis, Texas Tech University, USA.
- Mavor, M.J. and Saulsberry, J.L. (1996) A Guide to Coalbed Methane Reservoir Engineering. Gas Research Institute, Chicago, p.149-265.
- Mayerhofer, M. (2012) DFIT(Diagnostic Fracture Injection Test) SWPLA Meeting. Halliburton.
- Mora, C.A. and Wattattenbarger, R.A. (2007) Comparison of Computation Methods for CBM Performance. Canadian International Petroleum Conference, Society of Petroleum Engineers, Calgary, Alberta, June 12-14, p.1-2.
- Ramey, H.J., Agarwal, R.G. and Martin, I. (1975) Analysis of ''Slug Test'' or DST Flow Period Data. Jour. Canadian Petroleum Technology, v.14, p.37-47.
- Ramurthy, M., Marjerisson, D.M. and Daves, S.B. (2002) Diagnostic Fracture Injection Test in Coals to Determine Pore Pressure and Permeability. SPE Gas Technology Symposium, Society of Petroleum Engineers, Calgary, Alberta, April 30-May 2, p.1-16.
- Rushing, J.A., Blasingame, T.A., Poe, J.R., Brimhall, R.M. and Lee, W.J. (1991) Analysis of Slug Test Data From Hydraulically Fractured Coalbed Methane Wells. SPE Gas Technology Symposium, Society of Petroleum Engineers, Huston, Texas, January 22-24, p.105-118.
- Saulsberry, J.L. (1993) Cost Reduction of Injection Tests for Under-Pressured Reservoirs. SPE Gas Technology Symposium, Society of Petroleum Engineers, Calgary, Alberta, June 28-30, p.597-610.
- Seidle, J. (2011) Fundamentals of Coalbed Methane Reservoir Engineering. Penn Well Corporation, Tulsa, p.185-194.
- Seidle, J.P., Kutas, G.M. and Krase, L.D. (1991) Pressure Fall-off Tests of New Coal Wells. Low-Permeability Reservoirs Symposium, Denver, Colorade, April 15-17, p.53-62.
- Semmelbeck, M.E. and Lee, W.J. (1990) Well Test Requirements for Evaluation of Coalbed Methane Development Potential. SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Society of Petroleum Engineers, New Orleans, Louisiana, September 23-26, p.521-531.
- Taco, G., Kamenar, A. and Edgoose, J. (2012) Comparison of DFIT, DST and IFT Permeabilities in CBM Reservoirs. SPE Asia Pacific Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition, Society of Petroleum Engineers, Perth, Australia, October 22-24, p.1-13.
- Zuber, M.D., Sparks, D.P. and Lee, W.J. (1990) Design and Interpretation of Injection/Falloff Tests for Coalbed Methane Wells. The 65th Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Society of Petroleum Engineers, New Orleans, Louisiana, September 23-26, p.427-428.
- Replacement of Saline Water through Injecting Fresh Water into a Confined Saline Aquifer at the Nakdong River Delta Area vol.25, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9720/kseg.2015.2.215