- Volume 51 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on Infant Feeding and Weaning Practices in Multicultural Families
다문화가정 영유아의 수유 및 이유 실태에 관한 연구
- Kim, Jeong Hyun (Department of Food and Nutrition, Woosuk University) ;
- Joo, Eun Jung (Department of Food and Nutrition, Woosuk University)
- Received : 2013.03.04
- Accepted : 2013.05.07
- Published : 2013.08.30
The purpose of this study is to investigate the infant feeding and weaning practices in multicultural families. We surveyed 159 married female immigrants in Jeonbuk province from April 2010 to April 2011. They are from Vietnam (49.7%), China (25.8%), Cambodia (8.8%), Japan (8.2%), and the Philippines (7.5%). The average rate of colostrum feeding of all the subjects was 91% and there were significant differences between nationalities (p<.05), family types (p<.01), and delivery methods (p<.001). 41.5% of those answered did breast feeding, while 49.1% combined breast and bottle feeding, and 9.4% did bottle feeding only. The reason for bottle feeding is either because they are unable to produce enough breast milk or because they think the formula is better than breast milk. Average period of breast feeding was 10.3 months. There were significant differences of breast feeding duration between maternal age (p<.05) and economic level (p<.001). The mean onset time of weaning was 7.8 months, and there were significant differences between nationalities (p<.05), family types (p<.05), and feeding methods (p<.05). There was no significant difference in methods of supplementary food preparation between nationalities, family types, jobs, and education levels. The mean onset time of commercial milk was 12.8 months, and there were significant differences between nationalities (p<.05), the duration of marriages (p<.05), education levels (p<.05) and feeding methods (p<.001).
- Cho, Y. A. (2010). A study on evaluation of food behavior and nutritional risks of Vietnamese female immigrants in Korea (Unpublished master's thesis). Kyunghee University, Seoul, Korea.
- Choi, M H., Moon, S. J., & Ahn, H. S. (1991). An ecological study of changes in the components of human milk during the breast feeding and the relationships between the dietary behavior of lactating women and the growth of breast-fed infants. Korean Journal of Nutrition, 24(2), 77-86.
- Hill, P. D., Aldag, J. C., Chatterton, R. T., & Zinaman, M. (2005) Psychological distress and milk volume in lactating mothers. Western Journal of Nursing, 27(6), 676-693. https://doi.org/10.1177/0193945905277154
- Jang, S. J., Shin, J. H., & Lee, Y. S. (2004). A survey on nutrient intakes by infant formula and supplemental foods of formula-fed infants in seoul area. Korean Journal of community Nutrition, 9(3), 251-262.
- Jang, Y. A. (2006, May). Breast feeding practice and importance of breast milk in Korea. Paper presented at the Korean Nutrition Society Conference, Seoul, Korea.
- Jeon, H. S., & Hong, S. Y. (1996). A study on factors affecting status and method of infant feeding in Incheon. Korean Journal of community Nutrition, 1(3), 433-440.
- Jeong, M. J., Jung, E. K., Kim, A. J., & Joo, N. M. (2012). Nutrition knowledge and need for a dietary education program among marriage immigrant women in Gyeongbuk region. Journal of Korean Dietetic Association, 18(1), 30-42. https://doi.org/10.14373/JKDA.2012.18.1.030
- Ji, K. J. (1999). A study of infant feeding and weaning practice (Unpublished master's thesis). Keimyung University, Daegu, Korea.
- Jin, H. S. (2010). Effect of nutrition education food habit, dietary attitude, nutrition knowledge and nutrient intake of female married immigrants (Unpublished master's thesis). Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, Korea.
- Jung, H. J. (2011). A study on breast-feeding practices and knowledge of mother's in Yeosu (Unpublished master's thesis). Chonnam National University, Gwangju, Korea.
- Kang, I. J. (2011). A survey on nutrition knowledge and dietary life of women in multi-cultural families (Unpublished master's thesis). Yeungnam University, Gyeongsan, Korea.
- Kang, S. A., Shin, H. J., Lim, Y. H., Kim, G. A., Woo, Y. H., Jun, Y. H., et al. (2005). A study of mothers' nutritional knowledge on weaning of breast-fed infants, the age of 6 months. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 10(4), 453-461.
- Kim, D. H., & Lee, K. E. (2009). The study on path analysis for parenting efficacy of married immigrant women at multi-culture family. Journal of Korean Family Relations Association, 14(2), 77-98.
- Kim, I. S., & Mo, S. M. (1978). Studies on nutrition of infants and young children of rural and suburb of Cheonbuk province: Focused on feeding, nutrient intake and physical growth. Journal of the Korean Public Health Association, 4(2), 59-69.
- Kim, J. M., Lee, H. S., & Kim, M. H. (2012). Food adaptation and nutrient intake of female immigrants into Korea through marriage. Korean Journal of Nutrition, 45(2), 159-169. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2012.45.2.159
- Kim, J. M., & Lee, N. H. (2009). Analysis of the dietary life of immigrant women from multicultural families in the Daegu area. Journal of The Korean Dietetic Association, 15(4), 405-418.
- Kim, J. O., Lee, H. J., Ahn, D. H., & Sohn, K. C. (1981). A study on maternal knowledge and attitude in regard to infant and child health. Journal of Korean Pediatric Association, 24(1), 1-12.
- Kim, S. G., Cho, E. J., Kim, Y. K., Park, S. G., & Lee, G. W. (2004). National fertility and family health and welfare result report in 2003. Seoul: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs.
- Kim, S. H., Kim, W. Y., Lyu, J. E., Chung, H. W., & Hwang, J. Y. (2009). Dietary intakes and eating behaviors of Vietnamese female immigrants to Korea through marriage and Korean spouses and correlations of their diets. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 14(1), 22-30.
- Koo, J. O., Kim, J. H., Byun, K. W., Sohn, J. M., Lee, J. W., Lee, J. H., et al. (2011). Nutrition through the life cycle (pp. 32-85). Seoul: Powerbook.
- Kwon, E. K., Tchai, B. S., & Han, J. H. (1985). A study on breast feeding and socio-economic factors in a part of Seoul and rural areas. Journal of Korean Public Health Association, 11(2), 17-27.
- Lee, J. S., & Choi, K. S. (2005). A survey on lactation and weaning practice of infants and their mothers' attitude on infant nutrition in Kangwon province. Journal of the East Asian Society of Dietary Life, 15(4), 373-385.
- Lee, J. S., & Kim, E. S. (1991). Study on infant feeding practice in Sockcho-city. Korean Journal of Nutrition, 24(5), 469-476.
- Lee, J. S., Ko, J. S., & Kim, H. S. (1999). A study on infant feeding practices in Seogypo area and south Chejukun area. Korean Journal of Food & Nutrition, 12(5), 543-549.
- Lee S. I., & Choi, H. M. (2003). Infant nutrition (pp. 203-205). Seoul: Kwang mun gak.
- Lee, Y. O. (2010). Status of diet life and nutritional education of immigrants women internationally married in the multicultural family which is the subject of nutriplus program in Jeonbuk province (Unpublished master's thesis). Kunsan National University, Kunsan, Korea.
- Lee Y. S., & Hwang, G. S. (1992). A survey on the infant feeding in Seoul area. Korean Journal Dietary Culture, 7(2), 97-103.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2008). Multicultural family nutrition and health guidance program. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2010). Korea health statistics 2009: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES IV). Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- Pang, H. K., Kim, K. H., Park, J. O., & Lee, S. J. (1987). Present status and problems of weaning. Journal of the Korean Pediatric Society, 30(3), 266-274.
- Park, Y. I. (2009). A study on multi-cultural family wives adapting to Korean cuisine and dietary pattern (Unpublished master's thesis). Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, Korea.
- Ro, H. K. (1994). Infant feeding practices in Kwangju area. Journal Korean Society Food and Nutrition, 23(1), 48-54.
- Ro, H. K. (1995). Factors associated with infant feeding practices among Korean living in Texas, USA and local populations. Korean Journal Dietary Culture, 10(5), 475-483.
- Sohn, K. H., Yoon, S., Lee, Y. M., Min, S. H., & Jeon, J. H. (1992). The study of infant feeding in weaning period: Focused on Seoul and Kyunggi-Do area. Korean Journal Dietary Culture, 7(4), 309-321.
- Song, Y. S. (1991). The present status of infant feeding in Korea and suggestions for its improvement. Korean Journal of Nutrition, 24(3), 282-291.
- Wang, S. G., & Kim, J. H. (1999). A study on infant feeding and weaning practice in Taejon. Korean Journal of Nutrition, 4(4), 489-495.
- Woo, S. Y. (2010). A study about the dietary life conditions of Daegu international immigrant women (Unpublished master's thesis). Daegu Hanny University, Daegu, Korea.
- Yoon, E. S., & Lee, J. Y. (1994). The study of supplementary food in term of weaning. Annual Bulletin of Seoul Health Junior College, 14, 111-122.
- Effects of the Culturally Sensitive Education of Perinatal Care on Knowledge, Skills, and Self-Efficacy among Korean Husbands and Vietnamese Wives vol.23, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2017.23.4.515