- Volume 34 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Volcanological Interpretation of Historical Eruptions of Mt. Baekdusan Volcano
백두산의 역사시대 분화 기록에 대한 화산학적 해석
- Yun, Sung-Hyo (Department of Earth Science Education, Pusan National University)
- 윤성효 (부산대학교 지구과학교육과)
- Received : 2013.09.23
- Accepted : 2013.10.10
- Published : 2013.10.31
This study is performed to find out the eruptive events of the historical period recorded in literature, which have been recognized and regarded as ones from Mt. Baekdusan, and to make volcanological interpretations of the eruptive events. Since the Millennium eruption, more than 31 eruptive events have been discovered, most of which are Plinian eruptions with volcanic ash that dispersed into the regions in the vicinity of the volcano. The 1903 record includes the event of the phreatomagmatic or vulcanian eruption that occurred within the Cheonji caldera lake. Based on the eruption records of the historical period and the 2002 precursor unrest to volcanic eruptions, Mt. Baekdusan has been evaluated and regarded as an active volcano that has the potential to erupt in the future.
Grant : 화산재해 피해예측 기술개발
Supported by : 소방방재청
- Akaishi, K., Mitsutani, K., and Itahashi, N., 2000, Lahar disaster caused by the latest eruption of Towada volcano, Japan-finding of buried house and its tree ring dating. Abstract of Lecture on the Quaternary Society of Japan 30, Qa-P009, p. 219.
- Chae, J.S., Oh, C.H., Lee, D.S., and Seo, M.H., 2013, Study on the monitoring of volcanic eruption and magmatic activity through satellite data processing. CATER 2012-5060, Abstract of Atmospheric sciences and earthquake R&D workshop, 2013, 27-28 Aug., 137-140 (in Korean).
- China Earthquake Administration, 1983, Catalog of Earthquake in China: 1831 BC-1969 AD. Science press, Beijing, China, p. 894 (in Chinese).
- Cui, Z.X. and Liu, J.Q., 2006, The Historical Records about the Extensive Eruptions of the Tianchi Volcano in Changbai Mountains during A. D. 1014-1019. Geological Review, 52, 624-628 (in Chinese).
- Cui, Z.X., Jin, D.C., and Li, N., 2000, The historical record discovery 0f 1199-1200 AD large eruption of Changbaishan Tianchi volcano and its significance. Acta Petrologica Sinica, 16, 191-193 (in Chinese).
- Cui, Z.X., Liu, J.Q., and Han, C.L. 2008, Historical records on 1199-1201's eruption of the Changbai volcano. Geological Review, 54(4), 145-152 (in Chinese).
- Cui, Z. X., Wei, H.Q., and Liu, R.X., 1995, The historical record of Changbaishan Tianchi volcano eruption. In: Liu Ruo-xin (ed). Volcanism and Human Environment. Seismological Press, Beijing. p. 36-39 (in Chinese).
- Garin, N.G., 1949, From diaries round-the-world travel over Korea, Manchuria, Liaotung peninsula. Moscow. Geografgiz, Chapter 3: Studies at Pektusan volcano. 162-193 (in Russian).
- Hayakawa, Y. and Koyama, M., 1998, Dates of Two Major Eruptions from Towada and Baitoushan in the 10th Century. Kazan, 43, 403-407 (in Japanese).
- Jin, D.C. and Cui, Z.X., 1999, A Study of Volcanic Eruptions in Tianchi Volcano, Changbai Mountains Recorded in Historical Documents. Geological Review, 45, 304-307 (in Chinese).
- Kang, T.S., Park, C.E., Chu, G.S., and Shin, J.S., 2010, Characteristics of volcanic earthquake of Mt. Baekdusan in 1597. Abstract of 2007 Joint Conference of the Geological Science & Technology of Korea, p. 80 (in Korean).
- Lee, S.H., Jang, E.S., and Lee, H.M., 2012, A Case Analysis of Volcanic Ash Dispersion under Various Volcanic Explosivity Index of the Mt. Baegdu. Journal of Korean Earth Science Society, 33, 280-293 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2012.33.3.280
- Lee, S.H. and Yun, S.H., 2011, Impact of meteorological wind fields average on predicting volcanic tephra dispersion of Mt. Baekdu. Journal of Korean Earth Science Society, 32, 360-372 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2011.32.4.360
- Lee, S.T., 1987, A report of an on-site survey of Mt. Changbaishan. Jirin Cultural Press, China (in Chinese).
- Machida, H., Arai, F., and Moriwaki, H. 1981. Two Korean tephras, Holocene markers in the Sea of Japan and the Japan islands. Kagaku, 51, 562-569 (in Japanese).
- Machida, H., Moriwaki, H., and Zhao, D.C., 1990, The recent major eruption of Changbai volcano and its environmental effects. Geographic report of Tokyo metropolitan university, 25, 1-20 (in Japanese).
- Miyamoto, T., Kanno, H., Okuno, M., Nasu, H., and Makohonienko, 2010, Reconstruction of volcanic activities occurring in Baitoushan volcano after 10th century huge eruption. Earth Science of Baitoushan Volcano and its Adjacent Area (Edited by Hiromitsu Taniguchi) Center of Northeast Asian Studies (CNEAS) Tohoku University, Monograph Series, 41, 123-141 (in Japanese).
- Ozawa, T. and Taniguchi, H., 2007, Dtection of crustal deformation associated with volcanic activity of Baitoushan volcano using SAR interferometry. Repoert NIED, 71, 1-10 (in Japanese).
- Pak, K. and Rim, K.M., 2010, On the volcanic eruption of Paektu volcano in the histric record. Earth Science of Baitoushan Volcano and its Adjacent Area (Edited by Hiromitsu Taniguchi) Center of Northeast Asian Studies (CNEAS) Tohoku University, Monograph Series, 41, 113-122 (in Japanese).
- Soh, W.J. and Yun, S.H., 1999, A review of the Holocene major eruption of Mt. Paektu volcano. Journal of Korean Earth Science Society, 20, 534-543 (in Korean).
- Wei H.Q., Liu, G.M., and Gill, J., 2013, Review of eruptive activity at Tianchi volcano, Changbaishan, northeast China: implications for possible future eruptions. Bulletin of Volcanology, 75, 706: 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00445-013-0706-5
- Xu, J., Liu G., Wu, J., Ming, Y., Wang, Q., Cui, D., Shangguan Z., Pan, B., Lin, X., and Liu, J., 2012, Recent unrest of Changbaishan volcano, northeast China: a precursor of a future eruption? Geophysical Research Letters, 39, L16305, 1-7. doi:10.1029/2012GL052600. https://doi.org/10.1029/2012GL052600
- Yun, S.H. and Cui, Z.X., 1996, Historical eruption records on the Cheonji caldera volcano in the Mt. Paektu. Journal of Korean Earth Science Society, 17, 376-382.
- Yun, S.H. and Lee, J. H., 2011, Volcanological interpretation of historic record of 1702 fallout-ash from the Mt. Baegdusan. Journal of Petrological Society of Korea, 20(4), 243-250. https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2011.20.4.243
- Yun, S.H. and Lee, J. H., 2012, Analysis of unrest signs of activity at the Baegdusan volcano. Journal of Petrological Society of Korea, 21, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2012.21.1.001
- Yun, S.H., Lee, J.H., Kim, S.K., Cho, E.I., Paone, A., and Kim, Y.J., 2013, Study on the historic records on the Mt. Baekdusan eruption. Abstract of 2013 Joint Conference of the Geolgoical Science and Technology of Korea (24-26 April 2013), The Korean Society of Economic and Environmental Geology, The Geological Society of Korea and The Korean Society of Petreoleum Geology, 32, 380 p.
- Yun, S.H., Lee, J.H., Paone, A., and Kim, S.K., 2013, Volcanological interpretation of historic record of 1654 fallout ash from the Mt. Baegdusan, Abstract of 2013 Annual Conference of the Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, 110-111.
- Yun, S.H., Paone, A., Macedonio, G., Lee, J.H., Kim, S.K., Cho E.I., and Kim, Y.J., 2013, Simulations of pyroclastic flows using Titan2D at Mt. Baekdusan (1). Abstract of 2013 Joint Conference of the Geolgoical Science and Technology of Korea (24-26 April 2013), The Korean Society of Economic and Environmental Geology, The Geological Society of Korea and The Korean Society of Petreoleum Geology, 37-38, 379 p.
- Yun, S.H., Taniguchi, H., Wei, H., and Liu, J., 2007, Volcanic crisis of the Baegdusan. Abstract of 2007 Joint Conference of the Geological Science & Technology of Korea, 130-132.
- Yun, S.H., Won, C.K., and Lee, M.W., 1993, Cenozoic volcanic activity and petrochemistry of volcanic rocks in the Mt. Paektu area. Journal of Geological Society of Korea, 29, 291-307.
- Zhang, X.K., Zhang, C.K., Zhao, J.R., Yang, Z.X., Li, S.L., Zhang, J.S., Liu, B.F., Cheng, S.X., Sun, G.W., and Pan, S.Z., 2002, Deep seismic sounding investigation into the deep structure of the magma system in Changbaishan-Tianchi volcanic region. Acta Seismologica Sinica, 15, 143-151. (in Chinese). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11589-002-0003-4
- Monitoring Techniques for Active Volcanoes vol.23, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2014.23.2.119
- Distribution of Pyroclastic Density Currents Determined by Numerical Model at Mt. Baekdu Volcano vol.23, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2014.23.4.351
- Sakurajima volcano eruption detected by GOCI and geomagnetic variation analysis - A case study of the 18 Aug, 2013 eruption - vol.30, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7780/kjrs.2014.30.2.9
- Physical Properties of Pumice from Mt. Baekdu Volcano vol.24, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2015.24.4.337
- Comparison of local magnitude scales in South Korea vol.51, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14770/jgsk.2015.51.4.415
- Analysis of the Active Volcano Monitoring Program of China vol.25, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2016.25.1.95
- Selecting Hazardous Volcanoes that May Cause a Widespread Volcanic Ash Disaster to the Korean Peninsula vol.37, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2016.37.6.346