- Volume 14 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Smoking Cessation Self-efficacy and Counseling Satisfaction of University Students Using a University Smoking Cessation Clinic
일부 대학교보건소 금연클리닉 이용 대학생의 자기효능감과 상담만족도
- Park, Hyun-Suk (Dept. of Health Service Management, Daejeon University)
- 박현숙 (대전대학교 병원경영학과)
- Received : 2013.09.06
- Accepted : 2013.10.10
- Published : 2013.10.31
This study analyzed the smoking and smoking cessation characteristics, smoking cessation self-efficacy and counseling satisfaction of 140 college students using smoking cessation clinics in 2 universities, located in D Metropolitan City and C Province. The results can be summarized as follow; As motives for signing up for a smoking cessation clinic, 47.8% responded that they were recommended by others. 61.4% said that they had tried to stop smoking for the past one year. As the first reason for stopping smoking, 45.7% responded that it was to prevent diseases in the future. As factors affecting the smoking cessation self-efficacy, the smoking temptation score was the most significant variable, followed by the smoking cessation confidence score and the smoking amount. As a factor affecting the smoking cessation counseling satisfaction, whether to perceive health problems was the most significant variable, followed by the smoking cessation confidence score and the smoking temptation score.
Smoking cessation;Counseling satisfaction;Self-efficacy
- S.R. Shin, Smoking cession, Workshop - Lifestyle and health, The Korean Soc Sports Medicine, 7-17. 1999.
- H.D. Kim, K.K. Lee, The influence of Long term smoking and exercise habits on cardiopulmonary function and risk factor of cardiovascular disease in adult male, Exercise science, 18(2): 163-172, 2009. https://doi.org/10.15857/ksep.2009.18.2.163
- WHO, http://www.who.int/topics/tobacco/en/, Health topics, Tobacco, 2013.
- S.L. Yoo, K.H. Kim, K.K. Kim, J.H. Kim, Trends of smoking attributable mortality in Korea, Health & Social Science, 17(6): 133-148, 2005.
- J.K. Ahn, (The) Effects of Aerobic Exercise on Blood Oxygen Carring Factors, Pulmonary Function, and Cardiovascular Risk Factors aming Smoking Male College Students, master's thesis, The Graduate School of Chonnam National University, p.45-46, 2012.
- FDA, Background on nicotine pharmacology. Apendix 1 to Jurisdictional analysis, 79, Washington, DC, 1-6, 1995.
- I.H. Choi, Effect of agreement on means to achieve smoking cessation goal among male college student smokers, master's thesis, Graduate School of Chonnam National University, p.50-51, 2005.
- S.O Chang, C.S. Park, Analysis of Smoking Temptation, Nicotine Dependency, Perceived Health Status corresponding to Stage of Change in Smoking Cessation in Middle Aged Men, The Korean journal of fundamentals of nursing, 8(1): 69-80, 2001.
- S.O. Chang, Types of Smoking Temptation, Journal of Korean Academy of nursing, 33(4), 519-528, 2003. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.4.519
- O.K. Ham, J.B. Yoo, Smoking Temptation, Self-efficacy, and Satisfaction with Counseling among Users of Smoking Cessation Counseling Services Provided by a Public Health Center, Journal of Korea community health nursing academic society, 22(2): 246 - 254, 2008.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Health center operations in 2012 related to the main form smoking, non-smoking, and daily smoking cessation counseling clinic consultation NMC chart, Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2012.
- J.M. Park, A Survey of the College Students Smoking, KOREA JOONGANG DAILY, http://article.joins.com/ news/article/article.asp?total_id=11685301, 2013. 06. 01,
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Non smoke guide (2007, April). Column of smoking cessation: Smoking cessation policy of university campus. Retrieved November 13, http://www.nosmokeguide.or.kr/.
- A. Bandura, Self-efficacy: Toward a unifying theory of behavioral change, Psychological Review, 84(2): 191-215, 1977. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
- A.Y. Kim, Self-Efficacy and Academic Motivation, Education methodolgy, 16(1): 1-38, 2004.
- A. Bandura, Perceived self-efficacy in cognitive development and functioning. Educational Psychologist, 28(2): 117-148, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1207/s15326985ep2802_3 https://doi.org/10.1207/s15326985ep2802_3
- M.H. Baek, The Influences of The Self- Accountability Emotion and Self- Efficacy on Behavioral Intention, master's thesis, Department of Psychological The Graduate School of Ewha Womans University, p.25-27, 2008.
- E.Y. Choe, The Effect of Self-Efficacy Promotion Smoking Cessation Program on the amount of Smoking and Self-Efficacy for Adolescent Smokers, master's thesis, Department of Nursing, Korea National Open University Graduate School, p.41-51, 2011.
- M.O Gy, J.S Yu, I.K Kweon, H.W Kim, E.O. Lee, A Review of Research on Self Efficacy Theory Applied to Health Related Behavior, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 24(2): 292-293, 1994.
- H.J. Lee, Self-efficacy and Smoking Behavior according to the Stage of change in Smoking Cessation, master's thesis, The Graduate School of Nursing University of Gachon Medicine and Science, p.32-34, 2007.
- A. Dijkstra. H. de Vries, M. Bakker, Pros and cons of quitting, self-efficacy and the stages of change in smoking cessation, J Consult Clin Psychol, 64(4): 758-63, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.64.4.758 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.64.4.758
- KO. Mclinytre, E. Lichtenstein, RJ. Mermelstein, Self-Efficacy and relapse in smoking cessation : a replication and extension, Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 51(4): 632-633, 1983. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.51.4.632 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.51.4.632
- K. Stuart, R. Borland, N. McMurray, Self-Efficacy, health locus of control and smoking cessasion. Addictive Behaviors, 19(1): 1-12, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0306-4603(94)90046-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/0306-4603(94)90046-9
- S.R. Shin, (The) Study on the Development of a Self-Regulatory Efficacy Promoting Program and it's Effect on Adolescent Smoking, master's thesis, Departement of Nursing The Graduate School of Ewha Womans University, p.69-70, 1997.
- J.W. Lee, A Correlational Study of Adolescent Smoking, Environmental factors, Stress and Self-efficacy, master's thesis, Departement of Nursing The Graduate School of Hanyang University, p.45-48, 1997.
- S. Shiffman, MH. Balabanis, JA. Paty, J. Engberg, CJ. Gwaltney, KS. Liu, M. Gnys, M. Hickcox, SM. Paton, Dynamic Effects of Self-Efficacy on Smoking Lapse and Relapse, Health Psychology, 19(4): 315-323, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0278-6188.8.131.525 https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6184.108.40.2065
- H.W Kim, Determinants of Smoking-Cessation Behaviors in Female University Students, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 29(1): 48-60, 1997.
- K.S. Park, (The) Analysis of Successful Factor for Users of Smoking Cessation Clinic in a Community Health Center, master's thesis, Departement of Nursing Education, Graduate School of Education, Kangwon National University, p.24-25, 2011.