- Volume 44 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Empirical Analysis on the Factors Affecting the Consumption of Aquatic Products in China Using Panel Data
패널자료를 이용한 중국 수산물소비지출에 영향을 미치는 요인에 관한 연구
- Lin, Xuemei (Division of International Commerce, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Ki-Soo (Division of International Commerce, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2013.07.20
- Accepted : 2013.09.13
- Published : 2013.09.30
China is the world's largest producer of aquatic products and its fishery sector is comprised primarily of aquaculture facilities, both fresh and seawater, and a much smaller wild catch component. The expansion of the aquaculture sector continues to boost China's aquatic output. The increase is attributable to several factors. Among them rapidly growing domestic demand is no doubt one of the most important reasons. Rapid economic growth and rising disposable income are influencing domestic consumption and the economic recovery of major import markets is further stimulating consumption of China's aquatic products. This paper tries to examine the status, trend and reasons of consumption of aquatic products in China. Based on the analysis on the consumption of aquatic products and its change, this paper utilizes panel regression model to estimate the affecting factors of aquatic products consumption in China. By using panel data between 1997 and 2010, the results indicate that income, urbanization, aging and dummy variable have positive effects and fish price index has negative effect on China's aquatic products consumption as predicted. However, effects of meat consumption and education on fishery consumption are totally opposite with our predictions. In other words, it turns out that meat consumption has positive effect on fish consumption while education turns out to have negative effect. Finally the member of household does not show any significant effect on consumption of aquatic products in China.
- Chun-Feng Zhang and Jang, Y. S. (2011), "A Study on the Seafood Consumer's Value Analysis and Market Segmentation," The Journal of Fisheries Business Administration, 42 (2), 47-68.
- Gye-Im Lee and Kim, S. Y. (2003), "An Analysis of Consumption of Fishery Products," Korean Rural Economic Institute, 26 (3), 21-38.
- Kim, J. S. and Ha, K. S. (2010), "Selection Attributes and Pursuit Benefits of Processed Fishery Products," Korean Journal of Food Culture, 25 (5), 516-524.
- Kim, K. S. (1995), "Price and Quality Effects in US Fisheries Demand," The Journal of Fisheries Business Administration, 26 (1), 1-8.
- Li He-xian and Tan Chun-lan (2012), "Empirical Analysis on Affecting Factors of Aquatic Products of Consumption per Capita," Heilongjiang Agricultural Sciences, No.4, 87-90.
- Liu Rui (2011), "Consumption Characteristics and Growth Potential of Aquatic Products in China," Agricultural Outlook, No.3, 53-58.
- Kim, S. G. and Hong, J. W. (2003), "A Study on the Consumption Pattern of Aquacultured Marine Fishes," The Journal of Fisheries Business Administration, 34 (2), 53-73.
- Park, S. K. and Kim, M. J. (2008), "Effects of Changing Age Structure of Population on Seafood Consumption," Ocean Policy Research, 23 (1), 1-26.
- Tan Cheng and Zhang Xiao-Shuan (2005), "Analysis on the Factors Affecting the Consumption of Aquatic Products in the Urban Areas of China," Chinese Fisheries Economics, No.5, 36-43.
- Wang Li Juan and Tian Zhi Hong (2008), "Analysis on Urban Residents'Consumption Characteristics of Aquatic Products in China," Chinese Fisheries Economics, No.1, 8-11.
- Jang, Y. S. and Im, K. H. (2000), "A Study on the Characteristic of Consumption for Fisheries," Korean Journal of Food Marketing Economics, 17 (3), 113-134.
- Jang, Y. S. and Lee, Y. J. (2011), "A Study of the Seafood Brand Influence on Purchase Intention Focus on the Mediating Effects of Attitude," The Journal of Fisheries Business Administration, 42 (1), 97-112.
- Zhang Huan and Sun Chen (2009), "Analysis on Aquatic Products Consumption level and Main Characteristics of Chinese Residents," Research of Agricultural Modernization, 30 (4), 430-433.
- Development and Validation of Multiplex Polymerase Chain Reaction to Determine Squid Species Based on 16s rRNA Gene vol.30, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.13103/JFHS.2015.30.1.43