- Volume 55 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of Red Ginseng Extracted with Water and Ethanol on the Qualities of Cooked Pork Patties During Storage
물 및 에탄올 추출을 통해 제조된 홍삼 추출물의 첨가가 저장 중 가열 돈육패티의 품질특성에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Il Suk (Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Yang, Mira (Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Jin, Sang-Keun (Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Park, Jae Hong (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Chu, Gyo Moon (Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Jae-Young (Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kang, Suk Nam (Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- 김일석 (경남과학기술대학교 동물소재공학과) ;
- 양미라 (경남과학기술대학교 동물소재공학과) ;
- 진상근 (경남과학기술대학교 동물소재공학과) ;
- 박재홍 (단국대학교 동물자원학과) ;
- 추교문 (경남과학기술대학교 동물소재공학과) ;
- 김재영 (경남과학기술대학교 동물소재공학과) ;
- 강석남 (경남과학기술대학교 동물소재공학과)
- Received : 2013.06.15
- Accepted : 2013.10.22
- Published : 2013.10.31
The objective of this study was to investigate the effect of red ginseng extracted with water extract (WE) and 50% ethanol extract (EE) from white ginseng on cooked meat patties during storage. Different concentrations of extracts were examined (0.25%, 0.5%, and 1.%, respectively, dry base w/w). A significantly higher water holding capacity (WHC) was observed in samples supplemented with
Red ginseng;Cooked pork patty;Water holding capacity;TBARS;VBN;Total plate counts
- AOAC (Offical Method of Analysis). 1995. Association of Official Analytical Chemists (16th ed.), Washington, DC, USA.
- Bae, K. C. and Kim, S. H. 1998. Antioxidant effects of Korea ginseng radix, Korea red ginseng radix and total saponin. Korean J. Orien. Med. Pathol. 12:72-81.
- Balasundram, N., Sundram, K. and Samman, S. 2006. Phenolic compounds in plants and agri-industrial by-products: antioxidant activity, occurrence, and potential uses. Food Chem. 99:191203.
- Buege, J. A. and Aust, J. D. 1978. Microsomal lipid peroxidation. Methods Enzymol. 52:302-309. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(78)52032-6
- Chang, Y. S., Chang, Y. H. and Sung, J. H. 2006. The effect of ginseng and caffeine products on the antioxidative activities of mouse kidney. J. Ginseng Res. 30:15-21. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2006.30.1.015
- Choi, G. H., Kim, K. C. and Lee, K. H. 2010. Quality and antioxidant characteristics of soft Tofu supplemented with red ginseng extract during storage. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 39:414-420. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.3.414
- Choi, H. S. and Min, K. C. 2005. Quality characteristics of Ogapiju prepared by different raw materials. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 37:525-531.
- Coresopo, F. L., Millan, R. and Moreno, A. S. 1978. Chemical changes during ripening of Spanish dry. III. Changes in water soluble N-compounds. A Archivos de Zootechia. 27:105-108.
- Dzudie, T., Kouebou, C. P., Essia-Ngang, J. J. and Mbofung, M. F. 2004. Lipid source and essential oils effects on quality and stability of beef patties. J Food Eng. 65:67-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2003.12.004
- Hamm, R. 1986. Functional properties of the myofibrilar system and their measurement. In: Muscle as food. Betchel, P. J. (Eds.), Academic Press Inc, London, pp. 135-199.
- Hu, J. N., Lee, J. H., Shin, J. A., Choi, J. E. and Lee, K. T. 2008. Determination of ginsenosides Content in Korean Ginseng Seeds and Roots by High Performance Liquid Chromatography. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 17:430-433.
- Kang, S. N, Jin, S. K., Yang, M. R. and Kim, I. S. 2010. Changes in quality characteristics of fresh pork patties added with tomato powder during storage. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. 30:216-222. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.2.216
- Keeton, J. T. 1993. Effect of fat and NaCl/phosphate levels on the chemical and sensory properties of pork patties. J. Food Sci. 48: 129-232.
- Keum, Y. S., Park, K. K., Lee, J. M., Chun, K. S., Park, J. H., Lee, S. K., Kwon, H. and Surh, Y. J. 2000. Antioxidant and anti-tumor promoting activities of the methanol extract of heat-processed ginseng. Cancer Lett. 150:41-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(99)00369-9
- Kikuchi, Y., Sasa, H., Kita, T., Hirata, J. and Tode, T. 1991. Inhibition on human overian cancer cell proli-feration in vitro by ginsenoide-rb2 and adjuvant effects of cisplatin in vivo. Anticancer Drug 2: 63-67. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001813-199102000-00009
- Kim, C. S., Choi, K. J., Kim, S. C., Ko, S. Y., Sung, H. S. and Lee, Y. G. 1998. Controls of the hydrolysis of ginseng saponins by neutralization of organic acid in red ginseng extract preparations. J. Ginseng Res. 22:205-210.
- Kim, I. S., Jin, S. K. and Kang, S. N. 2011. Effect of red ginseng extracts on the qualities of low salt and low fat pork sausage. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. 32:588-595. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2011.31.4.588
- Kim, J. S., Yoon, K. S. and Lee, Y. S. 2008. Antioxidant Activity of Main and Fine Roots of Ginseng (Panax Ginseng C. A. Meyer) Extracted with Various Solvents. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 17:46-51.
- Kim, M. O., Wyi, J. J. and Park, J. D. 1987. The isolation and purification of phenolic acid in free phenolic fraction of ginseng. Korean J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 19:392-396.
- MFAFF (Korea Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries). 2009. Ginseng statistic data; 2013. Available from: http://mifaff.go.kr/list.jsp?id=28101&pageNo=1&NOW_YEAR=2011 &group_id=2&menu_id=49&link_menu_id=&division=B&board_ki nd=C&board_skin_id=C1&parent_code=33&link_url=&depth=2.
- Lee, J. S., Kim, G. N. and Jang H. D. 2008. Effect of red ginseng extract on storage and antioxidant activity of Tofu. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 37(11):1497-1506. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.11.1497
- Lim, J. K., Kang H. J., Kang S. N. and Lee, B. Y. 2009. Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Activities of Various Solvent Fractions of Fine Ginseng Root. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 18(2): 513-518.
- Lin, K. W. and Keeton, J. T. 1998. Textural and physicochemical properties of low fat, precooked ground beef patties containing carrageenan and sodium alginate. J. Food Sci. 63: 571-574.
- Mei, B., Wang, Y. E., Wu, J. X. and Chen W. Z. 1994. Protective effects of ginsenoides on oxygen free radical induced damages of cultured vascular endothelial cells in vitro. Yao Hsueh Hsuuh Pao. 29:201-808.
- MHW. 2002. Korean Food Standard Code. pp. 407-409. Seoul: The Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- Miller, A. J., Ackerman, S. A. and Palumbo, S. A. 1980. Effect of frozen storage on functionality of meat for processing. J. Food Sci. 45:1466-1468. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1980.tb07541.x
- Naczk, M. and Shahidi, F. 2006. Phenolic in cereals, fruit and vegetables: Occurrence, extraction and analysis. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 6:1523-1542.
- Park, N. Y., Seong, J. H., Choi, M. S., Moon, K. D., Kwon, J. H. and Jeong, Y. J. 2008. Comparison of functional properties of Cheonggukjang by using red Ginseng. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 37:261-268. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.3.261
- Park, S. J., Cho, Y. J., Pyee, J. H. and Hong, H. D. 2006. Meta-analysis of studies and patents on Korean ginseng in recent 5 years in Korea and prospective needs. J. Ginseng Res. 30: 212-219. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2006.30.4.212
- Pearson, D. 1968. Application of chemical methods for the assessments of beef quality. J. Sci. Food Agri. 19:36669.
- SAS. 1999. SAS/STAT Software for PC. Release 8.1, SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA.
- Shin, H. J., Shin, D. H., Kwak, Y. S., Choo, J. J. and Chung, H. R. 1999. Sensory evaluation and changes in microflora and enzyme activities of red ginseng Kochujang. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutri. 28:766-772.
- Smith, M. B. and March, J. 2007. Advanced Organic Chemistry: Reactions, Mechanisms, and Structure (6th ed.), New York: Wiley-Interscience, ISBN 0-471-72091-7.
- Song, M. R., Kim M. R., Kim, H. H., Chu, S. and Lee, K. S. 2010. Quality characteristics of ginseng Jung Kwa obtained by different sugar treatments. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 39: 999-1004. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.7.999
- Sung, H. S., Kim, N, M. and Kim, W. J. 1986. Some physical properties of Korean red ginseng extract as affected by extracting conditions. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 18(3):241-244.
- Verma, S. P. and Sahoo, J. 2000. Improvement in the quality of ground chevon during refrigerated storage by tocopherol acetate preblending. Meat Sci. 61: 355-365.
- Yun, T. K., Lee, Y. S., Lee, Y. H. and Yun, H. Y. 2001. Cancer chemopreventive compounds of red ginseng produced from Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer. J. Ginseng Res. 25:107-111.