- Volume 55 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Quality Characteristics Between Meat Ball Products in Korean Domestic Market
국내시판중인 완자제품의 품질 특성 비교
- Lee, Ju-Ho (Department of Animal Science, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Choi, Jung-Soek (Department of Animal Science, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Park, Ki-Soo (Moguchon) ;
- Jeong, Jun-Young (Elim Food Co. Ltd.) ;
- Choi, Yang-Il (Department of Animal Science, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Lee, Jae-Joon (Department of Food and Nutrition, Chosun University)
- 이주호 (충북대학교 축산학과) ;
- 최정석 (충북대학교 축산학과) ;
- 박기수 (농협목우촌) ;
- 정준영 (엘림식품(주)) ;
- 최양일 (충북대학교 축산학과) ;
- 이재준 (조선대학교 식품영양학과)
- Received : 2013.05.29
- Accepted : 2013.10.25
- Published : 2013.10.31
This study compared the quality characteristics between meat ball products in domestic market. Five types of meat ball products(T1, T2, T3, T4 and T5) were purchased in domestic market. In terms of the chemical composition, meat ball products ranged 53.92~63.45% in moisture contents. In terms of quality characteristics, T2 showed a significantly higher pH value and cooking loss than the others (p<0.05). In terms of deformation rate, T2 showed a significantly higher contraction of height than the others (p<0.05). In the panel test, T1 showed a significantly higher score in saltiness, flavor, color, appearance and total acceptability (p<0.05). Overall, meat ball products showed considerable differences in chemical composition, cooking loss, Hunter color values, and texture profile due to differences in raw materials, recipes, and weights.
Meat ball;Quality characteristics;Domestic market
- A.O.A.C. 1995. Official method of anaylsis (14th Ed.) Association of Official Analysis Chemist. Washington, D.C.
- Chung, R. W. and Lee, H. G. 1985. Effect of texturized soy protein on the sensory characteristics and texture of meat balls. Korean J. Soc. Food. Sci. 1:65-73.
- Cho, S. H., Park, B. Y., Chin, K. B., Yoo, Y. M., Chae, H. S., Ahn, J. N., Lee, J. M. and YUN, S. G. 2003. Comsumer perception, purchase behavior and demand on ham and sausage products. Korean J. Ani. Sci. Tech. 45:273-282. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2003.45.2.273
- Claus, J. R. and Hunt, M. C. 1991. Low fat, high added-water bologna formulated with texture modifying ingredients. J. Food Sci., 56:643-647 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1991.tb05347.x
- Cross, H. R., Berry, B. W. and Wells, L. H. 1980. Effects of fat level and source on the chemical, sensory and cooking properties of ground beef patties. J. Food Sci. 45:791-793. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1980.tb07450.x
- Grunert, K. G. 2006. Future trends and consumer lifestyles with regard to meat consumption. Meat Sci. 74:149-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.04.016
- Heo, C., Kim, H. W., Choi, Y. S., Kim, C. J. and Paik, H. D. 2008. Application of predictive microbiology for shelf-life estimation of tteokgalbi containing dietary fiber from rice bran. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 28:232-239. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2008.28.2.232
- Judge, M. D., Haugh, C. G., Zachariah, G. L., Parmelee, C. E. and Pyle, R. L. 1974. Soya additives in beef patties. J. Food. Sci. 39:137-139. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1974.tb01007.x
- Jung, D. S., Choi, J. S., Park, S. H., Min, J. H. and Choi, Y. I. 2010. Comparison of quality characteristics between hanwoo added tteokgalbi and market tteokgalbi products. Bulletin of the Animal Biotechnology. 3:57-63.
- Kang, E. J., Kim, S. Y. and Ryu, C. H. A. 2003. Study on preparation of wanjajun for cook/chill system II. Quality characteristics of wanjajun containing hydrocolloids. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 32:667-672. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.5.667
- Kregel, K. K., Prusa, K. J. and Hughes, K. V. 1986. Cholesterol content and sensory analysis of ground beef as influenced by fat level, heating, and storage. J. Food Sci. 51:1162-1165. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1986.tb13073.x
- Kim, I. S., Jin, S. K. and Hah, K. H. 2004. Quality comparison of sausage and can products in Korean market. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 24:50-56.
- Kim, I. S., Jin, S. K., Hah, K. H., Lyou, H. J. and Park, K. H. 2005. Physical and sensory characteristics of korean style meat products. Korean J. Ani. Sci. Technol. 47:49-56. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2005.47.1.049
- Kim, S. J., Choi, W. S., You, S. G. and Min, Y. S. 2007. Effect of glucomannan on quality and shelf-life of low-fat chicken patty. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 39:55-60.
- Koo, M. S., Kim, V. S., Shin, D. B., Oh, S. W. and Chun, H. S. 2007. Shelf-Life of prepacked kimbab and sandwiches marketed in convenience stores at refrigerated condition. J. Food Hygience and Safety. 22:323-331.
- Lee, B. J., Hendricks, D. G. and Comforth, D. P. 1998. Antioxidant effect of carnosine and phytic acid in a model beef system. J. Food Sci. 63:394-398. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1998.tb15750.x
- Lee, C. H., Ha, J. S., Jeong, J. Y., Lee, E. S., Choi, J. H., Choi, Y. S., Kim, J. M. and Kim, C. J. 2005. Effects of cooking method on physiochemical characterisitics and qualities of hamburger patties. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani Resour. 25:149-155.
- Namkung, S. and Lee, H. I. 1994. A study on housewives' consumer behavior purchasing to the meat processing products. Annual Bulletin of Seoul Health. Junior College. 14:225-245.
- Phillips, A. L., Mancini, R., Sun, Q., Lynch, M. P. and Faustman, C. 2001. Effect of erythorvic acid on cooked colour in ground beef. Meat Sci. 57:31-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00073-5
- Rhee, S. K. 1991. Studies on the additional of milk casein in processed meat products. Anseong Agri. Jr. College. 23:143-151
- SAS. 1999. The SAS System release 8.01 program. SAS Institute, Cary, NC.
- Song, H. I., Moon, G. I., Moon, Y. H. and Jung, I. C. 2000. Quality and storage stability of hamburger during low temperature storage. J. Korean Food Sci. Ani Resour. 20:72-78.
- Troutt. E. S., Hunt, M. C., Jhonson, D. E., Claus, J. R., Kastner, C. L., Kropf, D. H. and Stroda, S., 1992. Chemical physical, and sensory characterization of ground beef containing 5 to 30 percent fat. J. Food Sci. 57:25-29. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1992.tb05416.x
- Yoon, G. S. and Woo, J. W. 1999. The perception and the consumption behavior for the meats in Koreans. J Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 28:246-256.
- Yoon. M. H., Chang, K. M. and Choe, I. S. 2001. Consumption pattern of meat products in Korea. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 21:18-23.
- Yun. S. H., Yoon, J. Y. and Lee, S. R. 1996. Retail Distribution Temperature and Quality Status of Fried-Frozen Korean Meat Ball Products. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 28:657-662.
- Processing and Quality Properties of Olive Flounder Paralichthys olivaceus Balls Product vol.48, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2015.0411