- Volume 55 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effects of Sesame Meal on Growth Performances and Fatty acid Composition, Free Amino Acid Contents, and Panel Tests of Loin of Hanwoo Steers
참깻묵이 거세 한우의 비육성적과 등심의 지방산 조성, 유리 아미노산 함량 및 관능평가에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Sung Il (Departement of Animal Science, Gyeongbuk Provincial College) ;
- Cho, Bong Rae (Yecheon Agriculture Technology Center) ;
- Choi, Chang Bon (School of Biotechnology, Yeungnam University)
- Received : 2013.06.03
- Accepted : 2013.10.10
- Published : 2013.10.31
The feed value of sesame meal, a main agricultural by-product from the northern area of Gyeongsangbuk-do province, was assessed in Hanwoo steers. A total of twelve Hanwoo steers (average BW = 412.08 kg) were allocated into a Control (fed no sesame meal) or Treatment (fed sesame meal from 14.6 months of age) group, considering BW and ages, and the animals were fed for a total of 480 days. The final BW, total gain and ADG for the Control and Treatment groups were 741.17 kg and 762.67 kg, 331.84 kg and 347.84 kg, and 0.69 kg and 0.72 kg, respectively, showing better performances in sesame meal-fed animals. Feed requirements during the whole experimental period improved by feeding sesame meal (15.31 and 14.87 for Control and Treatment group, respectively). Hanwoo steers fed sesame meal also showed a 22.83 kg heavier cold carcass weight (424.17 kg and 447.00 kg in the Control and Treatment group, respectively), and 2.41% improved dressing percentages (58.60% and 57.22% for the Control and Treatment group, respectively). The area of the M. longissimus dorsi was
Hanwoo steers;Sesame meal;Performances;Palatability
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Statistics Korea. 2012. Crop production survey. http//www.kostat. go.kr.
- Sturdivant, C. A., Lunt, D. K., Smith, G. C., and Smith, S. B. 1992. Fatty acid composition of subcutaneous and intramuscular adipose tissues and M. longissimus dorsi of Wagyu cattle. J. Meat. Sci. 32:449. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(92)90086-J
- Tatum, J. D., Smith, G. C., Berry B. W., Murphey, C. E., Wiliams, F. L. and Carpenter, Z. L. 1980. Carcass characteristics, time on feed and cooked beef palatability attributes. J. Anim. Sci. 50:833.
- Wahle, K. W. 1974. Fatty acid composition and desaturase activity of congenitally obese zucker rat. J. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 48B:87-105.
- Wrestling, D. V. and Hedrick, H. B. 1979. Fatty acid composition of bovine lipids as influenced by diet, sex and anatomical location and relationship to sensory characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 48:1343-1348.
- Woods, W. R., Gallup, W. D. and Tillman, A. D. 1958. Comparative value for sheep of some protein supplements fed three protein levels. J. Anim. Sci. 17:758-762.
- Breidenstein, B. B., Cooper, C. C., Evans, R. G. and Bray, R. W. 1968. Influence of marbling and maturity on palatability of beef muscle, 1. Chemical and organoleptic considerations. J. Anim. Sci. 38:1532.
- Byers, F. M. and Moxon, A. L. 1980. Protein and selenium levels for growing and finishing beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 50:1136-1144.
- Cheva-Isarakul, B. and Tangtaweewipat, S. 1993. Sesame meal as soybean meal substitute in poultry diets. II. Laying hen. Asian-Australian Journal of Animal Science. 6:253-258.
- Deeth, H. and Christie, W. W. 1979. Biosynthesis of triacylglycerols in adipose tissue in vitro. Int. J. Biochem. 10:577-582. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-711X(79)90018-1
- A.O.A.C. 2000. Official Mehods of Analysis, 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Gaithersberg, MD, USA.
- Berg, R. T., Anderson, B. B. and Liboriussen, T. 1978. Growth of bovine tissue 1. Genetic influence on growth patterns of muscle, fat and bone in young bulls. Anim. Prod. 26:245-258. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100040848
- Deyab, D. M. S. E., Samy, H. M., Mostafa, A. E. and Hayam, D. T. 2009. Nutrition evaluation of sesame meal, Sesamum indicum (L.) as alternative protein source in diets of juvenile mono-sex Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus). Egypt. J. Aquat. Biol. & Fish. 13:93-106.
- Dhiman, T. R., Nam, S. H. and Ure, A. L. 2005. Factors affecting conjugated linoleic acid content in milk and meat. Critical reviews in Food Science and Nutritio. 45:463-482. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408390591034463
- Dransfield, D. E., Jones, R. C. D. and MacFie, H. J. H. 1981. Quantifying change in tenderness storage of beef. Meat Sci. 36:105.
- El Tinay, A. H., Khattab, A. H. and Khidir, M. O. 1976. Protein and oil composition of sesame seed. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 53:648-655. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02586281
- Enser, M. and Wood, J. D. 1993. Effect of time of year on fatty acid com position and melting point of UK lamb. Proceedings of the 39th International Congress of Meat Science and Technology. 2:74.
- Folch, J., Lee, M. and Sloan-Stanley, G. H. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissue. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497-504.
- Fortin, A., Reid, J. T., Magia, A. M., Sim, D. W. and Wellington, G. H. 1980a. Effect of energy intake level and influence of breed and sex on the physical composition of the carcass of cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 51:331-339.
- Gorbatov, V. M. and Lyaskovskaya, Y. N. 1980. Review of the flavor contributing volatile and water-soluble, non volatiles in pork meat and derived products. Meat Sci. 4:209. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(80)90050-9
- Henderson, J. W., Ricker, R. D., Bidlingmeyer, B. A. and Woodward, C. 2000. Rapid, accurate, sensitive and reproducible HPLC analysis of amino acids. Agilent Technologies. http://www.agilent. com.
- Im, H. J., Ahn, S. M., You, S. J., Kim, Y. R., Ahn, B. K. and Kang, C. W. 2004. Evaluation of the Feeding Value of Sesame Oil Meal and Effects of Its Dietary Supplementation on the Performances of Laying Hens. Korean Journal of Poultry Science. 31(4): 255-263.
- Kim, S. I., Jung, K. K., Kim, D. Y., Kim, J. Y. and Choi, C. B. 2011. Effects of supplementation of rice bran and roasted soybean in the diet on physico-chemical and sensory characteristics of M. longissimus dorsi of hanwoo steers. Kor. J. Food. Sci. 31(3): 451-459.
- Lepage, G. and Roy, C. C. 1986. Direct transesterification of all classes of lipid in one-step reaction. J. Lipid Research. 27: 114-120.
- MacLeod, G. 1994. The flavor of beef. In Flavor of Meat and Meat Products, Ed. F. Shahidi. Blackie Academic and Professional, London, pp. 4-37.
- Mamputu, M. and Buhr, R. J. 1995. Effect of substituting sesame meal for soybean meal on layer and broiler performance. Poultry Science. 74:672-684. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0740672
- May, S. G., Dolezal, H. G., Gill, D. R., Ray, F. K. and Buchanan. D. S. 1992a. Effects of days fed, carcass grade traits, and subcutaneous fat removal on postmortem muscle characteristics and beef palatability. J. Anim. Sci. 70:444-453.
- Miller, R. F. 1932. Sesame meal vs.cottonseed meal and peanut meal for lambs. J. Anim. Sci. 1932:223-226.
- Ministry of agriculture, food and rural affairs. 2011. Grade-decision in livestock production detailed criteria. Ministry of agriculture, food and rural affairs notification No. 2011-171.
- Mir, P. S., McAllister, T. A., Zaman, S., Morgan Jones, S. D., He, M. L., Aalhus, J. L., Jeremiah, L. E., Goonewardene, L. A., Weselake, R. J. and Mir, Z. 2003. Effect of dietary sunflower oil and vitamin E on beef cattle performance, carcass characterstics and meat quality. Can J. Anim. Sci. 83:53-66. https://doi.org/10.4141/A02-014
- Perry, D., Nicholls, P. J. and Thompson, J. M. 1998. The effect of sire breed on the melting point and fatty acid composition of subcutaneous fat in steers. Journal of Animal Science, 76(1): 87-95.
- Perry, T. W., Shields, D. R., Dunn, W. J. and Mohler, M. T. 1983. Protein levels and monensin for growing and finishing steers. J. Anim. Sci. 57:1067-1076.
- Prior, R. L., Kohlmeier, R. H., Cunditt, L. V., M. E. and Crouse, J. D. 1977. Influence of dietary energy and protein on growth and carcass com position in different biological types of cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 45(1):132.
- SAS. 2002. SAS User's Guide: Statistics. SAS Institute Inc. Cary. NC.
- Shibamoto, T. 1980. Heterrocyclic compounds found in cooked meats. J. Agr. Food Chem. 27:237.
- Shin, H. S. 1973. ChemicaI and NutritionaI Studies on Sesamum indicum. Korea J. Food. Sci. Technol. (2):113-118.
- Smith, R. E. and Scott, H. M. 1965. Use of free amino acid concentration in blood plasma in evaluating the amino acid adequacy of intact protein for chick growth. II. Free amino acid patterns of blood plasma of chicks fed sesame and raw, heated and overheated soybean meals. J. Nutr. 86:45-50.
- Squibb, R. L. and Salazar, E. 1951. Value of Corozo palm nut and sesame oil meals, bananas, A.P.F and cow manure in rations for growing and fattening pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 10:545-550.
- Effects of Rice Bran, Flax Seed, and Sunflower Seed on Growth Performance, Carcass Characteristics, Fatty Acid Composition, Free Amino Acid and Peptide Contents, and Sensory Evaluations of Native Korean Cattle (Hanwoo) vol.29, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0264
- Processing and Characteristics of Snacks Make from Extrusion Rice Oryza sativa and Dried Shrimp Acetes chinensis vol.49, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2016.0293
- Effects of Chrysanthemum boreale Probiotic on Growth Performance and Meat Quality of Hanwoo Steer vol.48, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2014.48.5.85
- Effects of full-fat soybean diet on performance, carcass characteristics,and fatty acid composition of Hanwoo steers vol.40, pp.13036181, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3906/vet-1508-12