- Volume 55 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effects of Dietary Type During Late Fattening Phase on the Growth Performance, Blood Characteristics and Carcass Traits in Hanwoo Steers
한우 거세우의 비육후기 사료 형태에 따른 사양성적, 도체특성 및 혈액성분 변화
- Cho, Woong Gi (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, Shin Ja (Department of Animal Science & Biotechnology, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Ko, Young Hyun (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Chang, In Surk (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, Sung Sill (Department of Animal Science & Biotechnology, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Moon, Yea Hwang (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- 조웅기 (경남과학기술대학교 동물생명과학과) ;
- 이신자 (경상대학교 동물생명과학과) ;
- 고영현 (경남과학기술대학교 동물생명과학과) ;
- 장인석 (경남과학기술대학교 동물생명과학과) ;
- 이성실 (경상대학교 동물생명과학과) ;
- 문여황 (경남과학기술대학교 동물생명과학과)
- Received : 2013.05.14
- Accepted : 2013.09.25
- Published : 2013.10.31
To develop a diet for Hanwoo steers during the late fattening phase, three different feeding treatments were investigated: a group fed concentrate and rice straw separately (Formula feed), a group fed TMR during the whole late fattening period (TMR), and a group fed TMR plus concentrate (Formula-TMR). Thirty Hanwoo steers 20 months of age (average body weight = 445 kg) were allotted by a completely randomized design into three treatment groups (ten steers in each group). The impact of these treatments on the performance, carcass traits, and blood composition related to body fat synthesis was assessed. The average dry matter and TDN intake were greater in Formula-TMR compared to other treatments (p<0.05); however, body gain, carcass weight, meat production index, and fat color were not affected by dietary type. Blood characteristics, such as concentrations of retinol, insulin, and leptin were not affected by any of the treatments; however the marbling score of the longisimus muscle was significantly higher in Formula-TMR (p<0.05), which was relatively high in blood leptin concentration. The muscle texture, meat quantity index, and meat quality index were highest in the Formula feed, TMR, and Formula-TMR, respectively (p<0.05).
Dietary type;Hanwoo steers;Late fattening feed;Carcass traits;Blood composition
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed. AOAC. Washington, D.C.
- Garcia-De-Siles, J. L., Wilson, L. L., Ziegler, J. H. and Watking, J. L. 1982. The effects of slaughter age on growth and carcass traits in an intensively managed crossbred beef herd. Livestock Prod Sci 9, 375-388. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(82)90043-4
- Geary, T. W., McFadin, E. L., MacNeil, M. D., Grings, E. E. Short, R. E., Funston, R. N. and Keisler, D. H. 2003. Leptin as a predictor of carcass composition in beef cattle. J Anim Sci 81, 1-8.
- Goering. H. K. and Van Soest. P. J. 1970. Forage Fiber Analysis (Apparatus. Reagents. Procedures, and Some Applications) U.S.D.A Agricultural Research Service Agriculture Handbook No. 379.
- Hong. Z. S., Jin, M. G., Jin, R. H., Han, S. Y., Lee, H. G., Lee, H. J. and Choi, Y. J. 2002. Effects of Chromium Picolinate on Growth Performance, Carcass Characteristics and Plasma Components in Holstein Bulls. Kor J Anim Sci & Technol 44, 419-426. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2002.44.4.419
- Japanese feeding standard. 2000. Japanese feeding standard for beef cattle. Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Research Council Secretariat, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.
- Kim, Y. K., Choi, H. and Myung, K. H. 2005. Effects of propylene glycol on carcass traits and its related gene expression in Korean native steers. J Anim Sci 83, 344-349.
- Livestock Quality Assessment. 2007. Grading of Carcasses of methods, standards and enforcement.
- Livestock Quality Assessment. 2009. Animal Products Grading statistics.
- National Institute of Animal Science, RDA. 2007. Korea Feeding Standard for Hanwoo.
- Paik, K.ee K., Kim, D. S. and Maeng, W. J. 1996. Study of TMR system on the Productivities of dairy cow and variation of chemical composition of TMR. Kor J Anim Sci & Technol 20, 329-338.
- SAS. 2000. SAS Users Guide : Statistics, SAS Int, Cary, Nc.
- Shin, J. S. 1995. Effect of Fermented Alcoholic Feed Stuff, Recombinant Bovine Somatotropin and Castration on High Quality Beef Production. Ph. D. Thesis Kangwon National University.
- The vitamin Analysis, The Vitamin Society of Japan 1989. 3-18.
- Ahn, B. H., Kim, B. H. and Moon, Y. H. 1999. Effects of Dietary Vitamin a Levels and Castration of Fatty acid Composition of Adipose Tissue and Beef Quality Korean Native Cattle. Kor J Anim Sci & Technol 23, 311-320.
- Ahn, B. H., Lyu, J. S., Kang, H. B., Ahn, D. W. and Chang, J. S. 2000. Effects of Levels of Roughage on Performance and Beef Quality of Hanwoo Steers. Kor J Anim Sci & Technol 42, 619-628.
- Effects of Physically Effective Neutral Detergent Fiber Content of TMR Feed on the Productivity and Carcass Characteristics in Hanwoo (Bos taurus coreanae) Steers vol.35, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2015.35.1.12
- Effects of Chrysanthemum boreale Probiotic on Growth Performance and Meat Quality of Hanwoo Steer vol.48, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2014.48.5.85