- Volume 55 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Resonable Market Month of Age for Hanwoo Steer
한우 거세우의 적정 출하월령 추정
- Yoon, Ji Hwan (Kangwon National University) ;
- Won, Jeong Il (Kangwon National University) ;
- Lee, Kyung Soo (Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Jong Bok (Kangwon National University) ;
- Lee, Jeong Koo (Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2013.07.23
- Accepted : 2013.09.13
- Published : 2013.10.31
This aim of this study was to estimate the most reasonable slaughter month for Hanwoo steers according to carcass traits. Carcass trait data on Hanwoo steers (17,249 head) were collected from October 2008 to September 2011. To measure the regression coefficients, Hanwoo steers were divided into two groups according to slaughter age: early (25 to 31 months) and late (32 to 38 months) groups. Regression coefficients of carcass traits according to slaughter age were significantly different (p<0.001) with the exception of PPKG (estimated auction price per 1 kg of carcass weight) in the early slaughter age group and MAR (marbling score, p<0.05) and PPKG (p<0.05) in the late slaughter age group. To obtain a positive gross margin, Hanwoo should be slaughtered at around 28 months of age.
Hanwoo steer;Gross margin;Reasonable market month of age;Slaughter month of age
- Sawyer, J. E., Mathis, C. P. and Davis, B. 2004. Effects of feeding strategy and age on live animal performance, carcass characteristics, and economics of short-term feeding programs for culled beef cows. . J Anim Sci. 82:3646-53.
- Schonfeldt, H. C., Naude, R. T. and Boshoff, E. 2010. Effect of age and cut on the nutritional content of South African beef. Meat Science. 86:674-683. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.06.004
- Shemeis, A. R., Liboriussen, T., Bech Andersen, B. and Abdallah, O. Y. 1994. Changes in carcass and meat quality traits of Danish friesian cull cows with the increase of their age and body condition. Meat Sci. 37:161-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)90077-9
- Smith, S. B., Kawachi, H., Choi, C. B., Choi, C., Wu, G. and Sawyer, J. E. 2009. Cellular regulation of bovine intramuscular adipose tissue development and composition. J. Anim. Sci. 87: E72-E82. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-1340
- Smith, S. B., Lunt, D. K., Chung, K. Y., Choi, C. B., Tume, R. K. and Zembayashi, M. 2006. Adiposity, fatty acid composition, and delta-9 desaturase activity during growth in beef cattle. Animal Science Journal, 77:478-486. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2006.00375.x
- Steen, R. W. J. and Kilpatrick, D. J. 1995. Effects of plane of nutrition and slaughter weight on the carcass composition of serially slaughtered bulls, steers and heifers of 3 breed crosses. Livest. Prod. Sci. 43:205-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(95)00046-N
- Suzuki, S., Ishikawa, S., Arihara, K. and Itoh, M. 2007. Changes in molecular species composition of triacylglycerol in subcutaneous fat from beef cattle during fattening. Animal Science Journal. 78: 293-300. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2007.00438.x
- WATANABE, A., UEDA, Y. and HIGUCHI, M. 2004. Effects of slaughter age on the levels of free amino acids and dipeptides in fattening cattle. Animal Science Journal. 75:361-367. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2004.00198.x
- Wilson, D. E., Willham, R. L., Northcutt, S. L. and Rouse, G. H. 1993. Genetic parameters for carcass traits estimated from Angus field records. J. Anim Sci. 71:2365-70.
- Zembayashi, M., Lunt, D. K. and Smith, S. B. 1999. Dietary tea reduces the iron content of beef. Meat Science. 53:221-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00058-3
- 2011 Livestock production cost. 2012. The Statistics Korea. (http://kosis.kr/ups3/upload/101/JI/livestock11/EBook.htm?, accessed Feb. 4th 2013)
- Carcass percentage and Meat quality of Hanwoo and Pig. 1997. National Institute of Animal Science, R. D. A. (Registration no. 31255-51895-58-9701)
- Kim, K. H., Lee, J. H., Oh, Y. G., Kang, S. W., Lee, S. C., Park, W. Y. and Ko, Y. D. 2005. The Optimal TDN Levels of Concentrates and Slaughter Age in Hanwoo Steers. J. Anim. Sci & Technol. 47(5):731-744. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2005.47.5.731
- Kim. K. H., Oh, Y. G., Lee, S. C., Shin, K. J., Chung, W. T., Kang, S. W., Hong, S. K., Ju, J. C. and Baek, B. H. 2007. Determination of Net Energy and Protein Requirements for Growth in Hanwoo Steers by Comparative Slaughter Experiment. J. Anim. Sci & Technol. 49(1):41-50. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.1.041
- Lee, C. W., Lee, C. M., Lee, S. J., Song, Y. H., Lee, J. K. and Kim, J. B. 2011. Effects of Raising Farm on Genetic Evaluation for Carcass Traits in Hanwoo Cows. J. Anim. Sci & Technol. 53(4):325-332. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2011.53.4.325
- Lengyel, Z., Husveth, F., Polgar, P., Szabo, F. and Magyar, L. 2003. Fatty acid composition of intramuscular lipids in various muscles of Holstein-Friesian bulls slaughtered at different ages. Meat Science. 65:593-598. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00252-8
- Moon, S. S., Yang, H. S., Park, G. B. and Joo, S. T. 2006. The relationship of physiological maturity and marbling judged according to Korean grading system to meat quality traits of Hanwoo beef females. Meat Sci. 74:516-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.04.027
- Mukai, F., Sadahira, M. and Yoshimura, T. 2004. Comparison of carcass composition among Japanese Black, Holstein and their crossbred steers fattening on farm. Animal Science Journal. 75:393-399. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2004.00203.x
- Nogi, T., Honda, T., Mukai, F., Okagaki, T. and Oyama, K. 2011. Heritabilities and genetic correlations of fatty acid compositions in longissimus muscle lipid with carcass traits in Japanese Black cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 89:615-621. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2300
- Okumura, T., Saito, K., Sakuma, H., Nade, T., Nakayama, S., Fujita, K. and Kawamura, T. 2007. Intramuscular fat deposition in principal muscles from twenty-four to thirty months of age using identical twins of Japanese Black steers. J. Anim. Sci. 85: 1902-1907. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-752
- Okumura, T., Saito, K., Sowa, T., Sakuma, H., Ohhashi, F., Tameoka, N., Hirayama, M., Nakayama, S., Sato, S., Gogami, T., Akaida, M., Kobayashi, E., Konishi, K., Yamada, S. and Kawamura, T. 2012. Changes in beef sensory traits as somatic-cell-cloned Japanese black steers increased in age from 20 to 30 months. Meat Science. 90:159-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2011.06.020
- Pariacote, F., Van Vleck, L. D. and Hunsley, R. E. 1998. Genetic and phenotypic parameters for carcass traits of American Shorthorn beef cattle. J Anim Sci. 76:2584-8.
- Pena, F., Bonvillani, A., Freire, B., Juarez, M., Perea, J. and Gomez, G. 2009. Effects of genotype and slaughter weight on the meat quality of Criollo Cordobes and Anglonubian kids produced under extensive feeding conditions. Meat Sci. 83:417-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.06.017
- Riley, R. R., Smith, G. C., Cross, H. R., Savell, J. W., Long, C. R. and Cartwright, T. C. 1986. Chronological age and breed-type effects on carcass characteristics and palatability of bull beef. Meat Sci. 17:187-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(86)90003-3
- Roh, S. H., Kim, C. Y., Won, Y. S., Park, C. J., Lee, S. S. and Lee, J. G. 2010. Studies on genetic parameter estimation and sire selection to ultrasound measurement traits of Hanwoo. J. Anim. Sci & Technol. 52(1):1-8. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.1.001
- Capper, J. L. 2011. The environmental impact of beef production in the United States: 1977 compared with 2007. J. Anim. Sci. 89:4249-4261. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-3784
- Cheong, J. K., Oh, Y. T., Choi, H. N., Lee, C. H., Kim, K. H., Kim, K. Y., Choy, Y. H., Kim, H. C. and Hwang, J. M. 2012. Effects of Geographic Locations and Year-Seasons of Birth on Ultrasound Scanned Measures and Carcass Traits of Hanwoo Steers. J. Anim. Sci & Technol. 54(4):247-253. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2012.54.4.247
- Cho, Y. M., Kwon, E. K., Chang, S. S., Kim T. I., Park, B. K., Kang, S. W. and B. H. Paek. 2008. Effects of total mixed rations on growth performance and carcass characteristics of Hanwoo steers. J. Anim. Sci & Technol. 50(3):731-744.
- Cho, Y. M., Chang, S. S., Kim, H. C., Kim, T. I., Park, B. K., Paek, B. H., Kim, J. H. and Kwon, E. G. 2009. Effects of concentrate feeding method and slaughter age on growth performance, feed intake and carcass characteristics of Hanwoo steers. J. Anim. Sci & Technol. 51(1):731-744.
- Dolezal, H. G,, Tatum, J. D. and Jr. Williams, F. L. 1993. Effects of feeder cattle frame size, muscle thickness, and age class on days fed, weight, and carcass composition. J Anim Sci. 71:2975-85.
- Hessle, A., Nadeau, E. and Johnsson, S. 2007. Beef heifer production as affected by indoor feed intensity and slaughter age when grazing semi-natural grasslands in summer. Livestock Science. 111:124-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2006.12.014
- IWAMOTO, E., OKA, A. and IWAKI, F. 2009. Effects of the fattening period on the fatty acid composition of fat deposits and free amino acid and inosinic acid contents of the longissimus muscle in carcasses of Japanese Black steers. Animal Science Journal. 80: 411-417. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2009.00648.x