- Volume 55 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Genetic Parameters for Gestation Length, Wean to First Service, Litter Size and Stillborn Piglets in a Closed Nucleus Swine Breeding Herd
특정 종돈집단의 임신기간, 이유후초종부일, 총산자수 및 사산에 대한 유전모수 추정
- Lee, Deukhwan (Department of Animal Life Resources, Hankyong National University) ;
- Son, Jihyun (Department of Animal Life Resources, Hankyong National University)
- Received : 2013.07.11
- Accepted : 2013.09.13
- Published : 2013.10.31
This study was conducted to investigate the genetic relationships among four reproductive traits. Data for this study were 7616 records from 1910 Landrace (L) and 10,454 records from 2283 Yorkshire (Y) in a closed nucleus swine herd. Traits considered on this study were gestation length (GL), total number of piglets born (TNB), wean to first service (WFS), and number of stillborn per litter (NSB). Heritabilities and genetic correlations were estimated by using the Bayesian inferences via Gibbs sampling in a four trait linear-threshold repeatability animal mixed model by designating NSB as a categorical trait in the L and Y purebred populations. Effects on the statistical model were considered for parity, contemporary group as fixed and service sire, permanent environmental, animal additive genetic effects as random. Estimates of heritability were 0.21, 0.23, 0.16, and 0.09 for GL, WFS, TNB, and NSB in the L population and 0.35, 0.16, 0.14 and 0.10 for corresponding traits in the Y population, respectively. Genetic correlation for GL was -0.59 and -0.28 with TNB and -0.58 and -0.17 with NSB in the L and Y populations, respectively. The NSB was positively correlated with TNB in the L and Y populations in genetic and environmental aspects. Therefore, the NSB should be taken into account in selecting sows for improving prolificacy of dam line breeding swine stock.
Swine nucleus herd;Threshold model;Gestation length;Litter size;Stillborn;Genetic parameter
Grant : 개체별 사회적 육종가 분석 프로그램 개발 및 선발효과 분석
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- BPEX. 2013. The BPEX Yearbook 2013-Technical performance data. www.bpex.org.uk. Accessed at Jul. 5. 2013.
- Chansomboon, C., Elzo, M. A., Suwanasopee, T. and Koonawootrittriron, S. Estimation of genetic parameters and trends for wean-to-first service interval and litter traits in a commercial Landrace-Large white swine population in northern Thailand. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 23:543-555.
- Damgaard, L. H., Rydhmer, L., Lovendahl, P. and Grandinson, K. 2003. Genetic parameters for within-litter variation in piglet birth weight and change in within-litter variation during suckling. J. Anim. Sci. 81:604-610.
- Fraser, D., Phillips, P. A. and Thompson, B. K. 1997. Farrowing behavior and stillborn in two environments and evaluation of the restraint stillborn hypothesis. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 55:51-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(97)00007-5
- Arango, J., Misztal, I., Tsuruta, S., Culbertson, M. and Herring, W. 2005. Threshold-linear estimation of genetic parameters for farrowing mortality, litter size, and test performance of Large white sows. J. Anim. Sci. 83:499-506.
- Baxter, E. M., Jarvis, S., Sherwood, L., Farish, M., Roehe, R., Lawrence, A. B. and Edwards, S. A. 2011. Genetic and environmental effects on piglets survival and maternal behavior of the farrowing sow. Appl. Anim. Behavior Sci. 130:28-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2010.11.020
- Gelman, A., Carlin, J. B., Stern, H. S. and Rubin, D. B. 1995. Bayesian Data Analysis. Chapman and Hall, 526 pp.
- Gianola, D. 1979. Heritability of polychotomous traits. Genetics 93:1051-1055.
- Glastonbury, J. R. W. 1977. Preweaning mortality in the pig. The prevalence of various causes of preweaning mortality and the importance of some contributory factors. Aust. Vet. J. 53:315-318. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-0813.1977.tb00239.x
- Grandinson, K., Lund, M. S., Rydhmer, L. and Strandberg, E. 2002. Genetic parameters for the piglet mortality traits crushing, stillbirth and total mortality, and their relation to birth weight. Acta Agric. Scand. Anim. Sci. 52:167-173.
- Hakkarainen, J. 1975. Developmental changes of protein, RNA, DNA, lipid, and glycogen in the liver, skeletal muscle and brain of the pig. Doctoral thesis. Acta Vet. Scand., suppl. 59.
- Hanenberg, E. H. A. T., Knol, E. F. and Merks, J. W. M. 2001. Estimates of genetic parameters for reproduction traits at different parityes in Dutch Landrace pigs. Livest. Prod. Sci. 69:179-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(00)00258-X
- Hansen, M., Lund, M. S., Pedersen, J. and Christensen, L. G. 2004. Gestation length in Danish Holstein has weak genetic associations with stillbirth, calving difficulty, and calf size. Livest. Prod. Sci. 91:23-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2004.06.007
- Hoeschele, I. and Tier, B. 1995. Estimation of variance components of threshold characters by marginal posterior modes and means via Gibbs sampling. Genet. Sel. Evol. 27:519-540. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-27-6-519
- Holm, B., Bakken, M., Vangen, O. and Rekaya, R. 2004. Genetic analysis of litter size, parturition lenth, and birth assistance requirements in primiparous sows using a joint linear-threshold animal model. J. Anim. Sci. 82:2528-2533.
- Hunter, R. H. F. 1980. Physiology and technology of reproduction in female domestic animals. Academic Press, London, England.
- Jamrozik, J., Fatehi, J., Kistemaker, G. J. and Schaeffer, L. R. 2005. Estimates of genetic parameters for Canadian Holstein female reproduction traits. J. Dairy Sci. 88:2199-2208. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72895-2
- Jindal, R., Cosgrove, J. R., Aherne, F. X. and Foxcroft, G. F. 1996. Effect of nutrition on embryonal mortality in gilts: association with progesterone. J. Anim. Sci. 74:620-624.
- Johnson, R. K., Nielsen, M. K. and Casey, D. S. 1999. Responses in ovulation rate, embryonal survival, and litter traits to 14 generations of selection to increase litter size. J. Anim. Sci. 77:541-557.
- Knol, E. F. 2001. Genetic aspects of piglet survival. Doctoral thesis. Wageningen University, Wageningen, Holland.
- Lee, D. H., Misztal, I., Bertrand, J. K. and Rekaya, R. 2002. National evaluation for calving ease, gestation length and birth weight using linear and threshold model methodologies. J. Appl. Genet. 43(2):209-216.
- Leenhouwers, J. I., Lende, T. and Knol, E. F. 1999. Analysis of stillbirth in different lines of pig. Livestock. Prod. Sci. 57:243-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(98)00171-7
- Luo, M. F., Boettcher, P. J., Schaeffer, L. R. and Dekkers, J. C. M. 2001. Bayesian inference for categorical traits with an application to variance component estimation. J. Dairy Sci. 84:694-704. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)74524-9
- Mabry, J. W. 1996. Effects of lactation length on weaning-to-firstservice interval, first-service farrowing rate, and subsequent litter size. Swine health and production 4:185-188.
- Misztal, I., Tsuruta, S., Strbel, T., Auvray, B., Druet, T. and Lee, D. H. BLUPF90 and related programs (BGF90). Communication No. 28-07 in Proc. 7th World Cong. Genet. Appl. Livest. Prod., Montpellier, France
- Napel, J., Meuwissen, T. H. E., Johnson, R. K. and Brascamp, E. W. 1998. Genetics of the interval from weaning to estrus in firstlitter sows: correlated responses. J. Anim. Sci. 76:937-947.
- Napel, J., Vries, A. G., Buiting, G. A. J., Luiting, P., Merks, J. W. M. and Brascamp, E. W. 1995. Genetics of interval from weaning to estrus in first-litter sows: Distribution of data, direct response of selection, and heritability. J Anim. Sci. 73:2193-2203.
- Oh, S. H., Lee, D. H. and See, M. T. 2006. Estimation of genetic parameters for reproductive traits between first and later parities in pig. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19(1):7-12.
- Osinowa, O. A., Abubakar, B. Y. and Trimnell, A. R. 1993. Genetic and phenotypic relationships between gestation length, litter size and litter birth weight in Yankasa sheep. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 34:111-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-4320(93)90069-4
- Palmer, W. M., Teagure, H. S. and Venzke, W. G. 1965. Histologic changes in the reproductive tract of the sow during lactation and early postweaning. J. Anim. Sci. 24:1117-1125.
- Pejsak, Z. 1984. Some pharmacological methods to reduce intrapartum death of piglets. Pig News Inf. 5:35-37.
- Philipsson, J. 1976. Studies on calving difficulty, stillbirth and associated factors in Swedish cattle breeds. Acta Agric. Scand. Anim. Sci. 26:151-164. https://doi.org/10.1080/00015127609435083
- Robinson, J. A. B. and Quinton, V. M. 2002. Genetic parameters of early neo-natal piglet survival and number of piglets born. Communication No. 03-08 in Proc. 7th World Cong. Genet. Appl. Livest. Prod., Montpellier, France.
- Roehe, R., Shrestha, N. P., Mekkawy, W., Baxter, E. M., Knap, P. W., Smurthwaite, K. M., Jarvis, S., Lawrence, A. B. and Edwards, S. A. 2009. Genetic analyses of piglet survival and individual birth weight on first generation data of a selection experiment for piglet survival under outdoor conditions. Livestock Sci. 121:173-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2008.06.010
- Rothschild, M. F. and Bidanel, J. P. 1998. Biology and genetics of reproduction. Pages 313-344 in The Genetics of the Pig. M.F. Rochschild and A. Ruvinsky, Ed. CAB Int. Oxford, U.K.
- Rydhmer, L., Lundeheim, N. and Canario, L. 2008. Genetic correlations between gestation lenth, piglet survival and early growth. Livestock Sci. 115:287-293. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.08.014
- Sasaki, Y. and Koketsu, Y. 2006. Variation and repeatability of gestation length across parity associated with reproductive performance in a cohort of gilts on commercial farms. J. Anim. Sci. 84(Suppl. I): 385.
- Sorensen, D. A., Andersen, S., Gianola, D. and Korsgaard, I. 1995. Bayesian inference in threshold models using Gibbs sampling. Genet. Sel. Evol. 27:229-249. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-27-3-229
- Stock, K, Distl, O. and Hoeschele, I. 2007. Influence of priors in Bayesian estimation of genetic parameters for multivariate threshold models using Gibbs sampling. Genet. Sel. Evol. 39:123-137. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-39-2-123
- Valera, M., Blesa, F., Dos Santos, R. and Molina, A. 2006. Genetic study of gestation length in andalusian and Arabian mares. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 95:75-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anireprosci.2005.09.008
- White, K. R., Anderson, D. M. and Bate, L. A. 1996. Increasing piglet survival through an improved farrowing management protocol. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 76:491-495. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas96-075
- Zalesky, H. M. and Hacker, R. R. 1993. Variables related to the progress of parturition and probability of stillbirth in swine. Can. Vet. J. 34:109-113.
- 송규봉, 이준호, 이득환. 2010. Estimation of Genetic Parameters for Direct and Maternal Effects on Litter Size and Teat Numbers in Korean Seedstock Swine Population. 한국동물자원과학회지 52(3 호):187-190. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.3.187