- Volume 55 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Comparative Analysis on Growth Performances, Behavioral Characteristics and Blood Parameters of the Sex in Different Group Sizes of Hanwoo calves
한우 육성우의 성별 군집두수에 따른 사양성적, 행동특성 및 혈액성상 비교분석
- Ha, Jae Jung (Gyeongsangbuk-Do Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Oh, Dong Yep (Gyeongsangbuk-Do Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Jea Young (Department of Statistics, Yeungnam University) ;
- Yang, Ka Young (College of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Jong Bok (College of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Ohh, Sang Jip (College of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Song, Young Han (College of Animal Life Science, Kangwon National University)
- 하재정 (경상북도 축산기술연구소) ;
- 오동엽 (경상북도 축산기술연구소) ;
- 이제영 (영남대학교 통계학과) ;
- 양가영 (강원대학교 동물생명과학대학) ;
- 김종복 (강원대학교 동물생명과학대학) ;
- 오상집 (강원대학교 동물생명과학대학) ;
- 송영한 (강원대학교 동물생명과학대학)
- Received : 2013.07.11
- Accepted : 2013.10.15
- Published : 2013.10.31
This study examined the effects of sex in different group sizes of Hanwoo calves. The growth performance including the mean daily gain, feed conversion rate, behavioral characteristics, and blood parameters in Hanwoo calves were investigated. A total of 54 heads of Hanwoo calves were housed separately at 4 heads per group, 3 heads per group, and 2 heads per group per pen. In the heifer calves, except for those 10 months of age, the growth performance was improved by increasing the group size, which was similar to steer calves (p<0.05). The heifer calves housed in 3 heads group spent more time lying down (p<0.05). The steer calves spent more time standing in the 3 heads group, lying down (2 heads group), and walking (4 heads group). The heifer calves housed in 2 heads group had a lower frequency of drinking, self-grooming, pairwise grooming, and fighting (p<0.05). On the other hand, the steer calves in the 4 heads group had a higher frequency of drinking, rubbing, and fighting (p<0.05). The white blood cell and cortisol were highest in the heifer calves in the 2 heads group (p<0.05).
Supported by : 강원도농업기술원
- Albright, J. L. and Arave, C. W. 1997. The behaviour of cattle. CAB International. UK. pp. 10-126.
- Anderson, I. L., Nævdal, E., Bakken, M. and Boe, K. E. 2004. Aggression and group size in domesticated pigs (Sus scrofa) -"when the winner takes it all and the loser is standing small". Anim. Behav. 68: 965-975. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anbehav.2003.12.016
- AOAC. 1990. Official method of analysis (15th Ed). Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington. D. C.
- Childress, M. J. and Lung, M. A. 2003. Predation risk, gender and the group size effect: does elk vigilance depend upon the behaviour of conspecifics. Anim. Behav. 66:389-398. https://doi.org/10.1006/anbe.2003.2217
- Crookshank, H. R., Elissalde, M. H., White, R. G., Clanton, D. C. and Smalley, H. E. 1979. Effect of transportation and handling of calves upon blood serum Composition. J. Anim. Sci. 48: 430-435.
- Eberhardt, T., Grimm, H., Richter, T. and Savary, P. 2003. Early detection of calf disease by automatic recording of behavioral changes. Proceedings of the fifth international dairy housing conference. pp. 350-355.
- Estevez, I., Keeling, L. and Newberry, R. C. 2003. Decreasing aggression with increasing group size in young domestic fowl. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 84: 213-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2003.08.006
- Estevez, I., Newberry, R. C. and Keeling, L. 2002. Dynamics of aggression in the domestic fowl. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 76: 307-325. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(02)00013-8
- Gottardo, F., Ricci, R., Preciso, S., Ravarotto, L. and Cozzi, G. 2004. Effect of the manger space on welfare and meat quality of beef cattle. Livest Prod. Sci. 89:277-285. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2004.01.002
- Gwazdauskas, F. C., Paape, M. J., Peery, D. A. and Mcgilliard, M. L. 1980. Plasma Glucocorticoid and circulation blood leukocyte respones in cattle after sequential intramuscular injections of ACTH. Am. J. Vet. Res. 41: 1052-1056.
- Han, J. H., Kim, D. J., Jeon, J. H., Chang, H. H., Koo, J. M., Kim, E. J., Lee, H. J. and Yeon, S. C. 2004. Behavioral Characteristics of Hanwoo (Bos Taurus Coreanae) Cows and Their Calves. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. 46(1):115-122. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2004.46.1.115
- Hopewell, L., Rossiter, R., Blower, E., Leaver, L. and Goto, K. 2005. Grazing and vigilance by Soay sheep on Lundy island: influence of group size, terrain and the distribution of vegetation. Behav. Precess. 70:186-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beproc.2005.04.009
- Jang, J. W. 2011. Effect of different stocking density on behavior of Hanwoo steers (Bos taurus coreanae) during growing period. MD. Thesis. Univ. Kyungpook National. Kor.
- Jensen, M. B., Munksgaard, L., Mogensen, L. and Korhn, C. C. 1999. Effect of housing in different social enviroments on open-field and social responses of female dairy calves. Acta Agric., Scand. Section A-Anim. Sci. 19:223-120.
- Ji, S. M. 2011. Effect of manual technic and high frequency on self awareness of stress, cortisol and body composition change in abdominal obese women. MD. Thesis. Univ. Dongduk. Kor.
- Jo, J. H. 2008. Effects of pen and group size on growing and fattening characteristics in Hanwoo steers. MD. Thesis. Univ. Kangwon National. Kor.
- Kim, H. H., Koo, J. M., Hwang, J. M., Jeon, J. H., Chang, H. H., Lee, W. I., Cheong, J. T., Lee, H. J. and Yeon, S. C. 2002. Prepartum Behaviors of Bos taurus coreanae. Kor. J. Vet. Res. 42(3):403-410.
- Kondo, S., Sekine, J., Okubo, M. and Asahida, Y. 1989. The effect of group size and space allowance on the agonistic and spacing behavior of cattle. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 24:271-278.
- Kondo, S. and Nishino, S. 1983. Changes in special and social behavior in calves after grouping. Pro. 5th WCAP. 2:815-816.
- Korean Society of Animal Sciences and Technology; KSAST. 2009. Consulting guide of Hanwoo. pp. 152-261.
- Lee, S. M. and Choi, Y. R. 2010. Effects of Whole Grain Barley Cracked Feed on the Eating Behavior of Hanwoo Steers During Finish Fattening Period. J. Ani. Sci. & Technol. 52(2):149-156. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.2.149
- Li, S. G., Yang, Y. X., Rhee, Y. J., Jang, W. J., Ha, J. J., Lee, S. K. and Song, Y. H. 2010. Growth, Behavior, and Carcass Traits of Fattening Hanwoo (Korean Native Cattle) Steers Managed in Different Group Sizes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 23(7):952-959. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.90276
- Moberg, G. P. 1985. Animal stress. Am. Physiological Society. pp. 225-238.
- Morrison, R. S., Hemsworth, P. H., Cronin, G. M. and Campbell, R. G. 2001. The effect of restricting pen space and feeder availability on the behaviour and growth performance of entire male growing pigs in deep-litter, large group housing system. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 83:163-176.
- Rind, M. I. and Phillips, C. J. C. 1999. The effects of group size on the ingestive and social behavior of grazing dairy cows. Anim. Sci. 68:589-596.
- SAS. 2003. SAS Software for PC. Release 9.1, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, US.
- Sato, S., Kondo S., Tanaka, T. and Kusunose. R. 1995. Livestock behavior illustration. Asakura publisher. pp. 9-17.
- Stephens, D. B. 1980. Stress and its measurement in domestic animals. A review of behavioral and physiological studies under field and laboratory situations. Adv. Vet. Sci. Comp. Med. 24: 179-210.
- Wilson, L. L., Terosky, T. L., Stull, C. K. and Stricklin, W. R. 1999. Effects of individual housing design and size on behavior and stress indicators of special-fed Holstein veal calves. J. Anim. Sci. 77: 1341-1347.
- Zeeb, K., Bock, C. and Heinzler, B. 1988. Control of social stress by consideration of suitable space. In: Zayan R., Dantzer R. (eds.), Social stress in Domestic Anim. pp. 275-281.
- Effect of space allowance on the Growth Performance, Behavioral Characteristics,and Blood Properties of Hanwoo vol.49, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2015.49.3.113