- Volume 55 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Primal Cuts Yields by Using Body Size Traits in Hanwoo Steer
한우 후대검정우의 체척형질을 통한 부분육 생산량 추정
- Lee, Jae Gu (National institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, Seung Soo (National institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Cho, Kwang Hyun (National institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Cho, Chungil (National institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Choy, Yun Ho (National institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Choi, Jae Gwan (National institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Park, Byoungho (National institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Na, Chong Sam (Dept. of Animal Biotechnology, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Roh, Seung Hee (Hanwoo Improvement Main Center, NACF) ;
- Do, Changhee (Chungnam National University) ;
- Choi, Taejeong (National institute of Animal Science, RDA)
- 이재구 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 이승수 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 조광현 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 조충일 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 최연호 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 최재관 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 박병호 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 나종삼 (전북대학교 동물생명공학과) ;
- 노승희 (농협중앙회 한우개량사업소) ;
- 도창희 (충남대학교 농업생명과학대학) ;
- 최태정 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원)
- Received : 2013.07.09
- Accepted : 2013.09.17
- Published : 2013.10.31
The study aimed to develop prediction models of primal cut yield using body measurements of Hanwoo steers in Korea. The progeny of 874 steers at Hanwoo Improvement Main Center from 2008 to 2010 were recorded. Pearson's correlation coefficients for primal cuts and other traits were estimated. Primal cuts were adjusted for slaughter date and age using the SAS GLM procedure. Afterwards, a stepwise regression was performed on each primal cut by fitting body measurement traits. An independent covariable was selected at the highest coefficient of determination with the greater fitness model using Mallows's Cp statistic. Results showed that primal cuts were significantly influenced by slaughter date (P<0.01). The age at slaughter, however, was only significant for the top round (P<0.05). There was a moderate to high correlation between chest girth and tenderloin (0.54), loin (0.74), and rib (0.80). Most primal cut percentages were negatively related to BFT. Similar negative to low positive correlations were observed for primal cut percentage and body size traits. In addition, a correlation of 0.21 was observed between rib percentage and chest girth. The regression of body measurements on the adjusted primal cuts were significant for later traits. Regression estimates revealed that wither height, body length, rump length, hip bone width, and chest girth are important for primal cut weight and percentage determination. In particular, chest girth was always important for primal cut weight estimates.
Primal cuts;Body measurement traits;Regression models;Hanwoo steers
Grant : 한우 유전능력평가 기법 및 환류체계 개발
Supported by : 국립축산과학원
- Brethour. J. R. 2004. The relationship of average backfat thickness of feedlot steers to performance and relative efficiency of fat and protein retention. J. Anim. Sci. 82:3366-3372.
- Choi, T. J. 2006. A study on estimation of growth curve and correlation between body weight, measurements and carcass traits in Hanwoo. MS thesis. Chonbuk National University.
- Do, C. H. 2007. Estimation of carcass cut traits in live pig. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol.(Kor). 49(2):203-212. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.2.203
- Ha, D. W., Kim, H. C., Kim, B. W., Lee, M. Y., Lee, J. H., Shin, C. K., Do, C. H. and Lee, J. G. 2002. A study on the body type of Hanwoo Steer by using principal components analysis. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol.(Kor). 44(6):643-652. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2002.44.6.643
- Jo, Y. M. 2000. A study on estimation of growth curve parameters and their relationships with economic traits of Hanwoo. Ph. D. thesis. Seoul National University.
- Koo, Y. M., Kim, J. I., Song, C. E., Shin, J. Y., Lee, J. Y., Lee, J. H., Cho, B. D., Kim, B. W. and Lee, J. G. 2008. A study on genetic parameters of carcass weight and body type measurements in Hanwoo Steer. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol.(kor). 50:157-166. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.2.157
- Kim, S. D. 2011. A study on consumer preferences for Hanwoo meat. Ph. D. Thesis. Konkuk University.
- Lee, J. Y. 1996. Effects of castration on body type, meat quality and quantity of Hanwoo. Ph. D. thesis. Kangwon University.
- Lee, J. Y., Kim, J. B., Shin, J. S., Yang, B. K. and Hong, B. J. 1997. Effects of sex, carcass weight and carcass traits on retailed cuts percentage of Hanwoo. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol.(Kor). 39(2):155-163.
- Lee, J. M., Choe, J. H., Park, H. K., Kim, Y. H., Park, B. Y., Kim, K. T., Koh, K. C., Seo, S. C. and Hwang, K. S. 2011. Effect of backfat thickness on the carcass grade factors and carcass price in Hanwoo Cows and Steers. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 32(2):280-289. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2011.31.2.280
- Lee, J. G., Choy, Y. H., Park, B. H., Choi, J. K., Na, J. S. and Choi, T. J. 2011. Analysis of environment effects on the growth and carcass trait in Hanwoo Steers. J. Agric. Life Sci. 45(6):109-114.
- Lee, J. G., Choy, Y. H., Park, B. H., Choi, J. K., Lee, S. S., Na, J. S., Roh, S. H. and Choi, T. J. 2012. Correlation analyses on growth trait, body size trait and carcass traits in Hanwoo Steers. J. Agric. Life Sci. 46(1):123-131.
- Lee, J. G. 2013. Correlation analyses and regression model estimation on body size traits, carcass traits and primal cuts in Hanwoo Steers. Master. Thesis. Chonbuk National University
- Rhee, Y. J., Seok, H. K., Kim, S. J. and Song, Y. H. 2003. Early prediction of carcass yield grade by ultrasound in Hanwoo. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol.(Kor). 45(2):327-334. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2003.45.2.327
- Sung, S. K., Jung, K. K., Choi, D. G., Kim, S. G., Kim, D. Y. and Choi, B. J. 1996. Effects of castration and age on the carcass composition and retail yields of Hanwoo and Holstein. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol.(Kor). 38(3):261-267.
- SAS. 2010. SAS/STAT Software. Release 9.2, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Yun, Y. T., Kim, D. G. and Sung, S. K. 1994. A proposal of the carcass grading criteria based on major carcass trait in the Hanwoo and Holstein. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol.(Kor). 36(2): 184-191.
- MIFAFF. 1997. Cattle & swine of carcass yield and meat quality characteristics. Rural Development Administration, National Institute of Animal Science, Korea, pp. 25-39.
- MIFAFF. 2004. Carcass yield in cattle and swine. Rural Development Administration, National Institute of Animal Science, Korea, pp. 5-45.
- A Study on Genetic Parameters of Primal Cuts and Body Size Traits in Hanwoo Steers vol.48, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2014.48.6.151
- Expected Genetic Progress of Primal Cut Weights and Percentages by Different Selection Index Weights in Hanwoo vol.49, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2015.49.5.179