- Volume 55 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Correlation Analyses on Body Size Traits, Carcass Traits and Primal Cuts in Hanwoo Steers
한우 후대검정우 체척, 도체형질 및 부분육간 상관분석
- Lee, Jae Gu (National institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, Seung Soo (National institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Cho, Kwang Hyun (National institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Cho, Chungil (National institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Choy, Yun Ho (National institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Choi, Jae Gwan (National institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Park, Byoungho (National institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Na, Chong Sam (Dept. of Animal Biotechnology, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Choi, Taejeong (National institute of Animal Science, RDA)
- 이재구 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 이승수 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 조광현 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 조충일 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 최연호 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 최재관 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 박병호 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 나종삼 (전북대학교 동물생명공학과) ;
- 최태정 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원)
- Received : 2013.01.31
- Accepted : 2013.08.19
- Published : 2013.10.31
This study was conducted to estimate the correlation structure between body size traits, carcass traits, and primal cuts in Hanwoo steers. Hanwoo progeny test data (body weight and body measurements) were collected from 2008 to 2010 from a total of 882 steers at the Hanwoo Improvement Main Center (NACF). Carcass traits considered were cold carcass weight, eye muscle area, backfat thickness, and marbling scores evaluated at the time of carcass grading. Correlation analyses were performed with observed scales of the traits and with residuals considering fixed environmental effects in generalized linear models. The correlation coefficient estimated between loin weight and chest girth was high at 0.74. The shank negatively correlated with pelvic width (-0.23) and hipbone width (-0.27). In addition, rib weight and chest girth was highly correlated (0.80). The correlation between carcass weight and chest girth was 0.86 in observed scale. Residual correlation between these traits was estimated at 0.65. Correlation between carcass weight and loin was 0.87 in the observed scale. Residual correlation was estimated at 0.83. The correlation coefficient estimated between shank weight and brisket and flank weight was negative at -0.69. Chest girth had a high correlation between primal cuts weight and body measurements. Thus, we believe that these results will provide a greater understanding on the relationship of primal cuts and other phenotypes, thus enabling valid production models for Hanwoo steers.
Hanwoo;Correlation;Carcass;Primal cuts;Body size trait
Grant : 한우종축개량 가속화를 위한 선발기술 개발
Supported by : 국립축산과학원
- Choi, T. J. 2006. A study on estimation of growth curve and correlation between body weight, measurements and carcass traits in Hanwoo. MS thesis. Chonbuk National University.
- Do, C. H. 2007. Estimation of carcass cut traits in live pig. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. (Kor). 49(2):203-212. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.2.203
- Ha, D. W., Kim, H. C., Kim, B. W., Lee, M. Y., Lee, J. H., Shin, C. K., Do, C. H. and Lee, J. G. 2002. A study on the body type of Hanwoo Steer by using principal components analysis. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol.(Kor). 44(6):643-652. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2002.44.6.643
- Jo, Y. M. 2000. A study on estimation of growth curve parameters and their relationships with economic traits of Hanwoo. Ph. D. thesis. Seoul National University.
- Koo, Y. M., Kim, J. I., Song, C. E., Shin, J. Y., Lee, J. Y., Lee, J. H., Cho, B. D., Kim, B. W. and Lee, J. G. 2008. A study on genetic parameters of carcass weight and body type measurements in Hanwoo Steer. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. (kor). 50:157-166. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.2.157
- Kim, S. D. 2011. A study on consumer preferences for Hanwoo meat. Ph. D. thesis. Konkuk University.
- Lee, J. Y. 1996. Effects of castration on body type, meat quality and quantity of Hanwoo. Ph. D. thesis. Kangwon University.
- Lee, J. Y., Kim, J. B., Shin, J. S., Yang, B. K. and Hong, B. J. 1997. Effects of sex, carcass weight and carcass traits on retailed cuts percentage of Hanwoo. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol.(Kor). 39(2):155-163.
- Lee, J. G., Choy, Y. H., Park, B. H., Choi, J. K., Na, J. S. and Choi, T. J. 2011. Analysis of environment effects on the growth and carcass trait in Hanwoo Steers. J. Agric. Life Sci. 45(6): 109-114.
- Lee, J. G., Choy, Y. H., Park, B. H., Choi, J. K., Lee, S. S., Na, J. S., Roh, S. H. and Choi, T. J. 2012. Correlation analyses on growth trait, body size trait and carcass traits in Hanwoo Steers. J. Agric. Life Sci. 46(1):123-131.
- Rhee, Y. J., Seok, H. K., Kim, S. J. and Song, Y. H. 2003. Early prediction of carcass yield grade by ultrasound in Hanwoo. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol.(Kor). 45(2):327-334. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2003.45.2.327
- Sung, S. K., Jung, K. K., Choi, D. G., Kim, S. G., Kim, D. Y. and Choi, B. J. 1996. Effects of castration and age on the carcass composition and retail yields of Hanwoo and Holstein. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol.(Kor). 38(3):261-267.
- SAS. 2010. SAS/STAT Software. Release 9.2, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Yun, Y. T., Kim, D. G. and Sung, S. K. 1994. A proposal of the carcass grading criteria based on major carcass trait in the Hanwoo and Holstein. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol.(Kor). 36(2):184-191.
- MIFAFF. 1997. Cattle & swine of carcass yield and meat quality characteristics. Rural Development Administration, National Institute of Animal Science, Korea, pp. 25-39.
- MIFAFF. 2004. Carcass yield in cattle and swine. Rural Development Administration, National Institute of Animal Science, Korea, pp. 5-45.
- A Study on Genetic Parameters of Primal Cuts and Body Size Traits in Hanwoo Steers vol.48, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2014.48.6.151
- Expected Genetic Progress of Primal Cut Weights and Percentages by Different Selection Index Weights in Hanwoo vol.49, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2015.49.5.179
- Carcass Characteristics and Primal Cuts Yields by Live Weight of Hanwoo Steers in Gyeongbuk Province vol.52, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2018.52.2.151