- Volume 26 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Slaughtering Age Effect on Carcass Traits and Meat Quality of Italian Heavy Draught Horse Foals
- De Palo, P. (Department of Veterinary Medicine, S.P. per Casamassima) ;
- Maggiolino, A. (Department of Veterinary Medicine, S.P. per Casamassima) ;
- Centoducati, P. (Department of Veterinary Medicine, S.P. per Casamassima) ;
- Tateo, A. (Department of Veterinary Medicine, S.P. per Casamassima)
- Received : 2013.03.27
- Accepted : 2013.04.29
- Published : 2013.11.01
The present work describes the effect of slaughtering age on horse carcass traits and on meat quality. Eighteen male Italian heavy draught horse (IHDH) breed foals were employed in the study. Soon after foaling they were randomly subdivided in 3 groups according to 3 age at slaughtering classes: 6 months old, 11 months old and 18 months old. Live weight, hot carcass weight and dressing percentage of each animal were recorded. After slaughtering, meat samples were collected from Longissimus Dorsi muscle between 13th and 18th thoracic vertebra of each animal and then analyzed. The right half carcass of each animal was then divided in cuts. Each one was subdivided into lean, fat and bones. Then, the classification of the lean meat in first and second quality cuts was performed according to the butchers' customs. Older animals were characterized by a lower incidence of first quality cuts (p<0.01) on carcass. Younger animals showed greater content in protein (p<0.01). Fatty acid profile showed an increasing trend of PUFA connected to the increasing of slaughtering age (p<0.05). The unsaturation index of intramuscular fatty acids was not affected by slaughtering age, confirming that horse meat, if compared to beef, is more suitable from a nutritional point of view. Season influenced reproduction, birth as well as production aspects of this species. The different slaughtering age could represent the way to produce meat of IHDH foals during the entire year without change in the qualitative standard expected by consumers.
- Badiani, A., N. Nanni, P. P. Gatta, B. Tolomelli, and M. Manfredini. 1997. Nutrient profile of horsemeat. J. Food Compost. Anal. 10:254-269. https://doi.org/10.1006/jfca.1997.0540
- Bertram, H. C., H. J. Andersen, A. H. Karlsson, P. Horn, J. Hedegaard, L. Nørgaard, and S. B. Engelsen. 2003. Prediction of technological quality (cooking loss and Napole Yield) of pork based on fresh meat characteristics. Meat Sci. 65:707-712. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00272-3
- Bligh, E. G. and W. J. Dyer. 1959. A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification. Can. J. Biochem. Physiol. 37:911-917. https://doi.org/10.1139/o59-099
- Bouton, P. E., P. V. Harris, and W. R. Shorthose. 1971. Effect of ultimate pH upon the water-holding capacity and tenderness of mutton. J. Food Sci. 36:435-439. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1971.tb06382.x
- Centoducati, P., A. Maggiolino, P. De Palo, and A. Tateo. 2012. Application of wood's model to lactation curve of Italian heavy draught horse mares. J. Dairy Sci. 95:5770-5775. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-5513
- De Palo, P., A. Maggiolino, P. Centoducati, and A. Tateo. 2012. Colour changes in meat of foals as affected by slaughtering age and post-thawing time. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 25:1775-1779. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12361
- De Palo, P., A. Maggiolino, A. Lestingi, and A. Tateo. 2009. Comparison between carcasses of artificially suckled I.H.D.H. (Italian Heavy Draught Horse) foals slaughtered at 6 months and traditional carcasses obtained by foals slaughtered at 11 and 18 months. Ital. J. Anim. Sci. 8:700-702.
- Devic, B. and T. Stamenkovic. 1989. Basic characteristics of the horse meat and the possibilities for its processing. Tehnologia Mesa 30:232-237.
- Franco, D., S. Crecente, J. A. Vazquez, M. Gomez, and J. M. Lorenzo. 2013. Effect of cross breeding and amount of finishing diet on growth parameters, carcass and meat composition of foals slaughtered at 15 months of age. Meat Sci. 93:547-556. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2012.11.018
- Franco, D., E. Rodriguez, L. Purrinos, S. Crescente, R. Bermudez, and J. M. Lorenzo. 2011. Meat quality of "Galician Mountain" foals breed. Effect of sex, slaughter age and livestock production system. Meat Sci. 88:292-298. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2011.01.004
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization). 1973. Determination of total fat content. ISO R-1443.1973. International Standards Meat and Meat products. Geneve, Switzerland: International Organization for Standardization.
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization). 1998. Determination of ash content. ISO R-936.1998. International Standards Meat and Meat products. Geneve, Switzerland: International Organization for Standardization.
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization). 1978. Determination of nitrogen content. ISO R-937.1978. International Standards Meat and Meat products. Geneve, Switzerland: International Organization for Standardization.
- Jankowska, B., W. Korzeniowski, and A. Kwiatkowska. 1996. Fatty acid composition of horse's tissue depending on their position in the carcass. Pol. J. Food Nutr. Sci. 5:41-49.
- Juarez, M., O. Polvillo, M. D. Gomez, M. J. Alcalde, F. Romero, and M. Varela. 2009. Breed effects of carcass and meat quality of foals slaughtered at 24 months of age. Meat Sci. 83:224-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.04.022
- Kindt, E., K. Gueneva-Boucheva, J. Rekhter, M. D. Humphries, and H. Hallak. 2003. Determination of hydroxyproline in plasma and tissue using electrospray mass spectrometry. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal. 33:1081-1092. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0731-7085(03)00359-5
- Lanza, M., C. Landi, M. Scerra, V. Galofaro, and P. Pennisi. 2009. Meat quality and intramuscular fatty acid composition of Sanfratellano and Haflinger foals. Meat Sci. 81:142-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.07.008
- Lombardi-Boccia, G., S. Lanzi, and A. Aguzzi. 2005. Aspects of meat quality: Trace elements and B vitamins in raw and cooked meats. J. Food Compost. Anal. 18:39-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2003.10.007
- Manso T., R. Bodas, T. Castro, V. Jimeno, and A. R. Mantecon. 2009. Animal performance and fatty acid composition of lambs fed with different vegetable oils. Meat Sci. 83:511-516. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.06.035
- Martuzzi, F., A. L. Catalano, and C. Sussi. 2001. Characteristics of horse meat consumption and production in Italy. Annali della Facolta di Medicina Veterinaria (Vol. 21). Italy: University of Parma. 213-233.
- Muchenje, V., A. Hugo, K. Dzama, M. Chimonyo, P. E. Strydom, and J.G. Raats. 2009. Cholesterol levels and fatty acid profiles of beef from three cattle breeds raised on natural pasture. J. Food Compost. Anal. 22:354-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2008.10.019
- Payne, E. 1971. The use of fatty acid composition of lipids in identification of horse and kangaroo meat. J. Sci. Food Agric. 22:250-522.
- Pomianowski, J. F., W. Rotkiewicz, and J. Borowski. 1994. Quality of selected culinary goods with addition of horsemeat. Acta Academiae Agriculturae ac Technicae, Olestensis Technologia Alimentorum 26:63-70.
- Renon, P., G. Comi, and C. Canton. 1979. Acides gras du tissue adipeux de cheval. Archivio Veterinario Italiano, 30:35-40.
- Rossier, E. and C. Berger. 1988. La viande de cheval: des qualities indiscutables et pourtant meconnues. Cahiers de nutrition et de dietetique, 23:35-40.
- Sarries, M. V. and M. J. Beriain. 2005. Carcass characteristics and meat quality of male and female foals. Meat Sci. 70:141-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.12.006
- SAS 1998. Applied statistics and the SAS programming language. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute Inc.
- S.rensen, S. E. 1981. Relationship between collagen properties and meat tenderness in young bulls of different genotype, weight and feeding intensity. PhD Thesis. The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Department of Meat Science and Technology, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Tateo, A., P. De Palo, A. Maggiolino, and P. Centoducati. 2013. Post-thawing changes in meat of foals as affected by feeding level and post-thawing time. Arch. Tierz. 56. doi: 10.7482/0003-9438-56-029. https://doi.org/10.7482/0003-9438-56-029
- Tateo, A., P. De Palo, E. Ceci, and P. Centoducati. 2008. Physicochemical properties of meat of Italian Heavy Draft horses slaughtered at the age of eleven months. J. Anim. Sci. 86:1205-1214.
- Tateo, A., P. De Palo, B. Padalino, and P. Centoducati. 2009. Artificially suckled I.H.D.H. (Italian Heavy Draught Horse) foals: In vivo performances and ethograms. Italian J. Anim. Sci. 8:724-726.
- Tateo, A., P. De Palo, B. Padalino, and P. Centoducati. 2005. Quality of carcasses in I.H.D.H. foals reared in the province of Bari (Italy). Italian J. Anim. Sci. 4:418-420.
- Wood, J. T., M. Enser, A. V. Fisher, G. R. Nute, P. R. Sheard, R. I. Richardson, S. I. Hughes, and F. M. Whittington. 2008. Fat deposition, fatty acid composition and meat quality: A review. Meat Sci. 78:343-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.07.019
- Znamirowska, A. 2005. Prediction of horse carcass composition using linear measurements. Meat Sci. 69:567-570. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.10.008
- Znamirowska, A. and R. Stanislawczyk. 2005. Effect of maturing process on changes in physico-chemical properties of colt meat. Acta Sci. Pol. Technol. Aliment. 4:79-88.
- Effect of nutritive level on carcass traits and meat quality of IHDH foals vol.85, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12203
- The Differences in Chemical Composition, Physical Quality Traits and Nutritional Values of Horse Meat as Affected by Various Retail Cut Types vol.29, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0049
- Is meat quality from Longissimus lumborum samples correlated with other cuts in horse meat? vol.87, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12433
- Effect of slaughter age on foal carcass traits and meat quality vol.9, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731115000671
- Artificial suckling in Martina Franca donkey foals: effect on in vivo performances and carcass composition vol.48, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-015-0940-2
- Equid milk production: evaluation of Martina Franca jennies and IHDH mares by Wood’s model application vol.57, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN15551
- Effect of linseed supplementation and slaughter age on meat quality of grazing cross-bred Galician x Burguete foals vol.98, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.8466
- Foal meat volatile compounds: effect of vacuum ageing on semimembranosus muscle pp.00225142, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.9350
- Physicochemical properties of horse meat as affected by breed, sex, age, muscle type and aging period vol.58, pp.12, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN17156
- An assessment of sire-breed effects on carcass and meat quality traits of lambs at the ages of 40 and 100 days from Comisana ewes crossed with Suffolk or Bergamasca rams vol.58, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN16673
- Comparative study of nutritional composition and color traits of meats obtained from the horses and Korean native black pigs raised in Jeju Island vol.32, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.18.0159