- Volume 26 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Standardized Total Tract Digestibility of Phosphorus in Copra Expellers, Palm Kernel Expellers, and Cassava Root Fed to Growing Pigs
- So, A.R. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Shin, S.Y. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, B.G. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2013.08.19
- Accepted : 2013.09.30
- Published : 2013.11.01
An experiment was conducted to determine the apparent total tract digestibility (ATTD) and standardized total tract digestibility (STTD) of phosphorus (P) in copra expellers (CE), palm kernel expellers (PKE), and cassava root (CR). Eight barrows (initial BW of 40.0 kg, SD = 4.5) were individually housed in metabolism crates. A replicated
Supported by : National Institute of Animal Science
- Adeola, O. 2001. Digestion and balance techniques in pigs. In: Swine Nutrition (Ed. A. J. Lewis and L. L. Southern) CRC Press, Washington, DC. pp. 903-916.
- Almaguer, B. L., R. C. Sulabo, and H. H. Stein. 2011. Effects of phytase on standardized total tract digestibility of P in copra expellers, palm kernel expellers, and palm kernel meal fed to growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 89 (E-Suppl. 1):187 (Abstr.).
- Almeida, F. N. and H. H. Stein. 2010. Performance and phosphorus balance of pigs fed diets formulated on the basis of values for standardized total tract digestibility of phosphorus. J. Anim. Sci. 88:2968-2977. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2285
- Almeida, F. N. and H. H. Stein. 2011. Standardized total tract digestibility of phosphorus in blood products fed to weanling pigs. Rev. Colomb. Cienc. Pecu. 24:617-622.
- Almeida, F. N. and H. H. Stein. 2012. Effects of graded levels of microbial phytase on the standardized total tract digestibility of phosphorus in corn and corn coproducts fed to pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 90:1262-1269. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2011-4144
- AOAC. 2005. Official methods of analysis, 18th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia.
- Crenshaw, T. D. 2001. Calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D, and vitamin K. In: Swine Nutrition (Ed. A. J. Lewis and L. L. Southern) CRC Press, Washington, DC. pp. 187-212.
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage fiber analysis (apparatus, reagents, procedures and some applications). Agriculture Handbook No. 379. ARS, USDA, Washington, DC.
- Gonzalez-Vega, J. C., C. L. Walk, Y. Liu, and H. H. Stein. 2013. Determination of endogenous intestinal losses of calcium and true total tract digestibility of calcium in canola meal fed to growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 91:4807-4816. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-6410
- Jin, L., L. P. Reynolds, D. A. Redmer, J. S. Caton, and J. D. Crenshaw. 1994. Effects of dietary fiber on intestinal growth, cell proliferation, and morphology in growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 72:2270-2278.
- Kim, B. G., J. H. Lee, H. J. Jung, Y. K. Han, K. M. Park, and I. K. Han. 2001. Effect of partial replacement of soybean meal with palm kernel meal and copra meal on growth performance, nutrient digestibility and carcass characteristics of finishing pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:821-830. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.821
- Kim, B. G. and T. M. Kim. 2010. A program for making completely balanced Latin square designs employing a systemic method. Rev. Colomb. Cienc. Pecu. 23:277-282.
- Kim, B. G., J. W. Lee, and H. H. Stein. 2012. Energy concentration and phosphorus digestibility in whey powder, whey permeate, and low-ash whey permeate fed to weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 90:289-295. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2011-4145
- National Research Council (NRC). 1998. Nutrient requirements of swine. 10th Ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- National Research Council (NRC). 2012. Nutrient requirements of swine. 11th Ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Petersen, G. I. and H. H. Stein. 2006. Novel procedure for estimating endogenous losses and measurement of apparent and true digestibility of phosphorus by growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 84:2126-2132. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-479
- Rojas, O. J. and H. H. Stein. 2012. Digestibility of phosphorus by growing pigs of fermented and conventional soybean meal without and with microbial phytase. J. Anim. Sci. 90:1506-1512. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2011-4103
- Sauvant, D., J. -M. Perez, and G. Tran. 2004. Tables of composition and nutritional value of feed materials. Academic Publishers, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- Saxton, A. M. 1998. A macro for converting mean separation output to letter groupings in Proc Mixed. Proc. 23rd SAS Users Group International. SAS Institute, Cary, NC. pp. 1243-1246.
- Son, A. R., S. Y. Ji, and B. G. Kim. 2012. Digestible and metabolizable energy concentrations in copra meal, palm kernel meal, and cassava root fed to growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 90:140-142. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.53822
- Widmer, M. R., L. M. McGinnis, and H. H. Stein. 2007. Energy, phosphorus, and amino acid digestibility of high-protein distillers dried grains and corn germ fed to growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 85:2994-3003. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-840
- Evaluation of Amino Acid and Energy Utilization in Feedstuff for Swine and Poultry Diets vol.27, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2014.r.02
- Effects of Dietary Cellulose on the Basal Endogenous Loss of Phosphorus in Growing Pigs vol.28, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.14.0539
- Effects of Palm Kernel Expellers on Growth Performance, Nutrient Digestibility, and Blood Profiles of Weaned Pigs vol.28, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.14.0842
- Effects of Palm Kernel Expellers on Productive Performance, Nutrient Digestibility, and White Blood Cells of Lactating Sows vol.28, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.14.0908
- Nutritional value of high fiber co-products from the copra, palm kernel, and rice industries in diets fed to pigs vol.6, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40104-015-0056-6
- Standardized total tract digestibility of phosphorus in various inorganic phosphates fed to growing pigs vol.88, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12785
- Effects of microbial phytase on the apparent and standardized total tract digestibility of phosphorus in rice coproducts fed to growing pigs vol.93, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2015-8877
- Effects of complex probiotic supplementation in growing pig diets with and without palm kernel expellers on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood parameters, fecal microbial shedding and noxious gas emission vol.89, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12965
- Standardized total tract digestibility of phosphorus in flaxseed meal fed to growing and finishing pigs without or with phytase supplementation1 vol.95, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2016.1045