- Volume 26 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effect of Vitamin E and Zinc Supplementation on Energy Metabolites, Lipid Peroxidation, and Milk Production in Peripartum Sahiwal Cows
- Chandra, G. ;
- Aggarwal, A. ;
- Singh, A.K. ;
- Kumar, M. ;
- Upadhyay, R.C.
- Received : 2012.12.10
- Accepted : 2013.02.22
- Published : 2013.11.01
The study was conducted to evaluate the effect of vitamin E and zinc supplementation on energy metabolites, lipid peroxidation, and milk production in peripartum Sahiwal cows. For this, thirty-two pregnant dry Sahiwal cows were selected at sixty days prepartum and divided into four groups viz control,
Body Condition Score;Glucose;Nonesterified Fatty Acid;Thiobarbituric Acid Reactive Substance;Sahiwal Cows
- Adewuyi, A. A., E. Gruyse, and F. J. van Eerdenburg. 2005. Non-esterified fatty acids (NEFA) in dairy cattle: A review. Vet. Q. 27:117-126. https://doi.org/10.1080/01652176.2005.9695192
- Balasinska, B. 2004. Evaluation of antioxidant status in living organisms. Med. Weter. 60:579-583.
- Bernabucci, U., B. Ronchi, N. Lacetera, and A. Nardone. 2002. Markers of oxidative status in plasma and erythrocytes of transition dairy cows during hot season. J. Dairy Sci. 95:2173-2179.
- Bernabucci, U., B. Ronchi, N. Lacetera, and A. Nardone. 2005. Influence of body condition score on relationships between metabolic status and oxidative stress in periparturient dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 88:2017-2026. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72878-2
- Bertics, S., R. Grummer, C. Cadorniga-Valino, and E. Stoddard. 1992. Effect of Prepartum dry matter intake on liver triglyceride concentration and early lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 75: 1914-1922. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(92)77951-X
- Bourne, N., D. C. Wathes, K. E. Lawrence, M. McGowan, and R. A. Laven. 2008. The effect of parenteral supplementation of vitamin E with selenium on the health and productivity of dairy cattle in the UK. Vet. J. 177:381-387. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tvjl.2007.06.006
- Bouwstra, R. J., M. J. Nielen, R. Newbold, E. H. J. M. Jansen, H. F. Jelinek, and T. van Werven. 2010. Vitamin E supplementation during the dry period in dairy cattle. Part II: Oxidative stress following vitamin E supplementation may increase clinical mastitis incidence postpartum. J. Dairy Sci. 93:5696-5706. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2010-3161
- Bouwstra, R. J., R. M. A. Goselink, P. Dobbelaar, M. Nielen, J. R. Newbold, and T. Werven. 2008. The relationship between oxidative damage and vitamin E concentration in blood, milk and liver tissue from vitamin E supplemented and non supplemented periparturient heifers. J. Dairy Sci. 91:977-987. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0596
- Boyle, N. O., C. M. Corl, J. C. Gandy, and L. M. Sordillo. 2006. Relationship of body condition score and oxidant stress to tumor necrosis factor expression in dairy cattle. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 113:297-304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetimm.2006.05.013
- Buckley, F., K. O'Sullivan, J. F. Mee, R. D. Evans, and P. Dillon. 2003. Relationships among milk yield, body condition, cow weight and reproduction in spring-calved Holstein-Friesians. J. Dairy Sci. 86:2308-2319. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73823-5
- Castillo, C., J. Hernandez, A. Bravo, M. Lopez-Alonso, V. Pereira, and J. L. Benedito. 2005. Oxidative status during late pregnancy and early lactation in dairy cows. Vet. J. 169:286-292. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tvjl.2004.02.001
Chandra, G., and A. Aggarwal. 2010. Changes in TNF-
$\alpha$levels, metabolic status, milk yield and composition in $\alpha$-tocopherol acetate supplemented high body condition periparturient crossbred cows during different seasons. International conference on physiological capacity building in livestock under changing climate scenario. Vol. II pp. 85. (Abstr)
Chandra, G., A. Aggarwal, A. K. Singh, and M. Kumar. 2012. TNF-
$\alpha$level and metabolic status in $\alpha$-tocopherol acetate supplemented high body condition periparturient crossbred cows during summer and winter season. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 82:999-1003.
Chawla, R., and H. Kaur. 2004. Plasma antioxidant vitamin status of periparturient cows supplemented with
$\alpha$-tocopherol and $\beta$-carotene. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 114:279-285. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2003.11.002
- Chen, J. J., and B. P. Yu. 1994. Alteration in mitocondrial membrane fluidity by lipid peroxidation products. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 17:411-418. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(94)90167-8
- Clemens, M. C., and H. D. Waller. 1987. Lipid peroxidation in erythrocytes. Chem. Phys. Lipids 45:251-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-3084(87)90068-5
- Contreras, G. A., and L. M. Sordillo. 2011. Lipid mobilization and inflammatory responses during the transition period of dairy cows. Comp. Immunol. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 34:281-289. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cimid.2011.01.004
- Dann, H. M., D. E. Morin, G. A. Bollero, M. R. Murphy, and J. K. Drackley. 2005. Prepartum intake, postpartum induction of ketosis, and periparturient disorders affect the metabolic status of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 88:3249-3264. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)73008-3
- Edmonson, A. J., I. J. Lean, L. D. Weaver, T. Farver, and G. Webster. 1989. A body condition scoring chart for Holstein dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 72:68-78. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(89)79081-0
- Erskine, R. J., P. C. Bartlett, T. Herdt, and P. Gaston. 1997. Effects of parenteral administration of vitamin E on health of periparturient dairy cows. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 211:466-469.
- Griffiths, L. M., L. H. Loeffler, M. T. Socha, D. J. Tomlinson, and A. B. Johnson. 2007. Effects of supplementing complexed zinc, manganese, copper and cobalt on lactation and reproductive performance of intensively grazed lactating dairy cattle on the south island of New Zealand. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 137:69-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.10.006
- Grum, D., J. Drackley, R. Younker, D. LaCount, and J. Veenhuizen. 1996. Nutrition during the dry period and hepatic lipid metabolism of periparturient dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 79: 1850-1864. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(96)76553-0
- Grummer, R. R., D. G. Mashek, and A. Hayırlı. 2004. Dry matter intake and energy balance in the transition period. Vet. Clin. North Am. Food Anim. Pract. 20:447-470. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cvfa.2004.06.013
- Halliwell, B., and S. Chirico. 1993. Lipid peroxidation: its mechanism, measurement, and significance. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 57:715-724.
- Halliwell, B., and M. Whiteman. 2004. Measuring reactive species and oxidative damage in vivo and in cell culture: how should you do it and what do the results mean? Br. J. Pharmacol. 142: 231-255. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjp.0705776
- Hayirli, A., R. R. Grummer, E. V. Nordheim, and P. M. Crump. 2002. Animal and dietary factors affecting feed intake during the pre-fresh transition period in Holsteins. J. Dairy Sci. 85: 3430-3443. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74431-7
- Ingvartsen, K. L., and J. B. Andersen. 2000. Integration of metabolism and intake regulation: a review focusing on periparturient animals. J. Dairy Sci. 83:1573-1597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(00)75029-6
- Kim, I. H., and G. H. Suh. 2003. Effect of the amount of body condition loss from the dry to near calving periods on the subsequent body condition change, occurrence of postpartum diseases, metabolic parameters and reproductive performance in Holstein dairy cows. Theriogenology 60:1445-1456. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(03)00135-3
- Komaragiri, M. V., D. P. Casper, and R. A. Erdman. 1998. Factors affecting body tissue mobilization in early lactation of body fat and protein. J. Dairy Sci. 81:169-175. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75564-X
- Kumaraguruparan, R., R. Subapriya, J. Kabalimoorthy, and S. Nagini. 2002. Antioxidant profile in the circulation of patients with fibroadenoma and adenocarcinoma of the breast. Clin. Biochem. 35:275-279. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-9120(02)00310-7
LeBlanc, S. J., T. H. Herdt, W. M. Seymour, T. F. Duffield, and K. E. Leslie. 2004. Peripartum serum vitamin E, retinol, and.
$\beta$-carotene in dairy cattle and their associations with disease. J. Dairy Sci. 87:609-619. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73203-8
- Maurya, P. 2011. Leptin level in relation to immunity, energy metabolites and cellular adoptations during dry period and early lactation in crossbred cows. M.V.Sc. Thesis, NDRI (deemed University), Karnal, India.
- Miller, J. K., E. Brzezinska-Slebodzinska, and F. C. Madsen. 1993. Oxidative stress, antioxidants, and animal function. J. Dairy Sci. 76:2812-2823. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(93)77620-1
- Panda, N., H. Kaur, and T. K. Mohanty. 2006. Reproductive Performance of dairy buffaloes supplemented with varying levels of vitamin E. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:19-25.
- Park, A. F., J. E. Shirley, E. C. Titgemeyer, R. C. Cochran, J. M. DeFrain, E. E. Wickersham, and D. E. Johnson. 2010. Characterization of plasma metabolites in Holstein dairy cows during the periparturient period. Int. J. Dairy Sci. 5:253-263. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijds.2010.253.263
- Politis, I., I. Bizelis, A. Tsiaras, and A. Baldi. 2004. Effect of vitamin E supplementation on neutrophil function, milk composition and plasmin activity in dairy cows in a commercial herd. J. Dairy Res. 71:273-278. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002202990400010X
- Reist, M., A. Koller, A. Busato, U. Kupfer, and J. Blum. 2000. First ovulation and ketone body status in the early postpartum period of dairy cows. Theriogenology 54:685-701. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(00)00383-6
- Saleh, M., A. Salam, and I. M. H. MEL Mileegy. 2007. Oxidative antioxidant status during transition from late pregnancy to early lactation in native and cross bred cows in the Egyptian oasis. Assiut Vet. Med. J. 53:113.
- Shehab-El-Deen, M. A. M. M., M. S. Fadel, A. V. Soom, Y. S. Sherif, D. Maes, M. R. Leroy, and L. Jo. 2010. Circadian rhythm of metabolic changes associated with summer heat stress in high-producing dairy cattle. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 42:1119-1125. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-010-9534-1
- Sobhanirad, S., D. Carlson, and R. B. Kashani. 2010. Effect of zinc methionine or zinc sulfate supplementation on milk production and composition of milk in lactating dairy cows. Biol. Trace Elem. Res. 136:48-54. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-009-8526-3
- Sordillo, L. M., and S. L. Aitken. 2009. Impact of oxidative stress on the health and immune function of dairy cattle. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 128:104-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetimm.2008.10.305
- Sordillo, L. M., G. A. Contreras, and S. L. Aitken 2009. Metabolic factors affecting the inflammatory response of periparturient dairy cows. Anim. Health Res. Rev. 10:53-63. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1466252309990016
- Sordillo, L. M., N. O'Boyle, J. C. Gandy, C. M. Corl, and E. Hamilton. 2007. Shifts in thioredoxin reductase activity and oxidant status in mononuclear cells obtained from transition dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 90:1186-1192. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(07)71605-3
- Stockdale, C., and J. Roche. 2002. A Review of the energy and protein nutrition of dairy cows through their dry period and its impact on early lactation performance. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 53: 737-753. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR01019
- Oxidative shielding and the cost of reproduction vol.91, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/brv.12179
- Mammary immunoglobulin transfer rates following prepartum milking vol.99, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2016-11370
- Multiple free-radical scavenging (MULTIS) capacity in cattle serum vol.60, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3164/jcbn.15-142