- Volume 8 Issue 6
In this paper, a novel algorithm for PD localization in power transformers based on wavelet de-noising technique and energy criterion is proposed. Partial discharge is one of the main failures in power transformers. The localization of which could be very useful for maintenance systems. Acoustic signals due to a PD event are transient, irregular and non-repetitive. So wavelet transform is an efficient tool for this signal processing problem that gives a time-frequency demonstration. First, different wavelet based de-noising methods are analyzed. Then, a reasonable structure for threshold value determining and applying manner on signals is presented. Evaluated errors are good evidences for choices. Next, applying the elimination low energy frequency bands is discussed and developed as a de-noising method. Time differences between signals are used for PD localization. Different ways in time arrival detection are introduced and a novel approach in energy criterion method is presented. At the end, the quality of algorithm is verified through the different assays in lab.
Partial Discharge (PD);Power Transformer;Acoustic Emission;Localization
- P. Kundu, N. K. Kishore, and A. K. Sinha, "Classification of Acoustic Emission Based Partial Discharge in Oil Pressboard Insulation System Using Wavelet Analysis," International Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 208-215, 2008.
- T. Boczar and D. Zmarzly, "Application of Wavelet Analysis to Acoustic Emission Pulses Generated by Partial Discharges," IEEE Trans. Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 433-449, Jun. 2004.
- E. Grossman and K. Feser, "Sensitive Online PDMeasurements of Onsite Oil/Paper-Insulated Devices by Means of Optimized Acoustic Emission Techniques (AET)," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 158-162, Jan. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2004.835288
- A. Kelen, "Trends in PD diagnostics. When new options proliferate, so do old and new problems," IEEE Trans. Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 529-534, Aug. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/94.407018
- J. L. Kirtley, J. C. Lavalle and D. J. McCarthy, "Acoustic monitoring of transformer structures," In Proc. CIGRE Symposium on "New and Improved Materials for Electro-Technology," Vienna, Austria, 1987, pp. 1-5.
- S. Rengarajan, A. Bhoomaiah, K. Krishna and Kishore, "Acoustic PD measurements for transformer insulation-an experimental validation", In Proc. Eleventh Inter-national Symposium on High Voltage Engineering., Singapore,1999, pp. 1-8.
- E. Mohammadi, M. Niroomand, M. Rezaeiarr', Z. Amini, "Partial Discharge Localization and Classification Using Acoustic Emission Analysis in Power Transformer," In Proc. INTELEC2009, pp. 1-6.
- M. Duval, "Dissolved gas analysis: It can save your transformer," IEEE Electrical Insulation Mag., Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 22-27, Jan./Feb. 1989.
- M. Duval, "A review of faults detectable by gas-in-oil analysis in transformers," IEEE Electrical Insulation Mag., Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 8-17, May/Jun. 2002.
- G. C. Stone, "Partial discharge. VII. Practical techniques for measuring PD in operating equipment," IEEE Electrical Insulation Mag., Vol. 7, No. 4, pp.9-17, Jul./Aug. 1991.
- L. E. Lundgard, "Partial Discharge - Part XIV: Acoustic Partial Discharge Detection - practical application," IEEE Electrical Insulation Mag., Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 34-43, Sep./Oct. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/57.156943
- P. M. Eleftherion, "Partial discharge. XXI. Acoustic emission based PD source location in transformers," IEEE Electrical Insulation Mag, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 22-26, Nov./Dec. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/57.475905
- L. J. Chen, W. M. Lin, T. P. Tsao, and Y. H. Lin, "Study of Partial Discharge Measurement in Power Equipment Using Acoustic Technique and Wavelet Transform," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 1575-1580, Jul. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2007.899254
- S. Y. Choi, D. W. Park, I. K. Kim, C. Y. Park and G. S. Kil, "Analysis of Acoustic Signals Generated by Partial Discharges in Insulation Oil," In Proc. CMD 2008, pp. 525-528.
"IEEE Guide for the Detection and Location of Acoustic Emissions from Partial Discharges in Oil- Immersed Power Transformers and Reactors," IEEE Std.
- British Standard Institution, "British Standard Guide for Partial Discharge Measurements," 2000.
- X. Zhou, C. Zhou and I. J. Kemp, "An Improved Methodology for Application of Wavelet Transform to Partial Discharge Measurement Denoising", IEEE Trans. Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 586-594, June 2005 https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2005.1453464
- X. Song, C. Zhou and D. M. Hepburn, "An Algorithm for Identifying the Arrival Time of PD Pulses for PD Source Location," In Proc. CEIDP 2008, pp. 379-382.
- W. Li, J. Zhao, "wavelet-based de-noising method to online measurement of partial discharge," In Proc. APPEEC 2009, pp. 1-3.
- X. P. Zhang, M. D. Desai, "Adaptive denoising based on SURE risk," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol.5, No.10, pp.265-267, Oct. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/97.720560
- X. Ma, C. Zhou and I. J. Kemp, "Automated Wavelet Selection and Thresholding for PD Detection," IEEE Electrical Insulation Mag., Vol.18, No.2, pp.37-45, Mar./Apr. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/57.995398
- S. M. Markalous, S. Tenbohlen and K. Feser, "Detection and Location of Partial Discharges in Power Transformers using Acoustic and Electromagnetic Signals," IEEE Trans. Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 1576-1583, Dec. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2008.4712660
- G. F. C. Veloso, L. E. B. da Silva, G. Lambert-Torres, J. O. P. Pinto, "Localization of Partial Discharges in Transformers by the Analysis of the Acoustic Emission," In Proc. ISIE 2006, pp. 537-541.
- L. Birge, P. Massart, "From model selection to adaptive estimation," in D. Pollard (ed), Festchrift for L. Le Cam, New York: Springer, 1997, pp. 55-88.
- G. S. Kil, D. W. Park, I. K. Kim, S. Y. Choi, "Analysis of Partial Discharge in Insulation Oil using Acoustic Signal Detection Method," WSEAS Trans. Power Systems, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 90-94, Mar. 2008.
- Investigation on Oil-paper Degradation Subjected to Partial Discharge Using Chaos Theory vol.9, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.5.1686