- Volume 8 Issue 6
A pseudo 480-Hz drive method has been proposed to reduce the dynamic false contour noise that occurs on flat panel displays with displaying grayscale image in the digital mode, such as plasma display panels. The proposed method makes the image movements nearly continuous by rearranging the 8-bit image data displayed for 1 TV field into 8 subfields. The position of the image data rearranged in subfields has been optimized on the basis of the speed of the moving image by computer simulations for the dynamic false contour noise. It is verified that a significant reduction in the dynamic false contour noise is achieved with the proposed method as compared to the conventional noise reduction technologies. Moreover, to reduce the noise in digital mode displays, the proposed technology requires only 8 subfields. Therefore, there is no reduction in the brightness of the image.
Computer simulation;Dynamic false contour noise;Digital mode grayscale display;Flat panel display
- Taiichiro Kurita, Asako Saito and Ichiro Yuyama, "Consideration on Perceived MF of Hold Type Display for Moving Images," Proc. 5th Intl. Display Workshops, pp.823-826, Kobe, Japan, Dec. 1998.
- Taiichiro Kurita, "Moving Picture Quality Improvement for Hold-type AM-LCDs," SID 01 Digest, pp. 986-989, San Jose, California, June 2001.
- T. Masuda, T. Yamaguchi and S. Mikoshiba, "New category contour noise observed in pulse-widthmodulated moving images," Proc. 14th Intl. Display Research Conference, pp. 357-360, 1994.
- Takahiro Yamaguchi, Takeo Masuda, Akihiko Kohgami and Shigeo Mikoshiba, "Degradation of movingimage quality in PDPs: Dynamic false contours," Journal of the SID, Vol. 4, issue 4, pp. 263-270, 1996.
- S. Kanagu, Y. Kanazawa, T. Shinoda, K. Yoshikawa, and T. Nanto, "A 31-in.-Diagonal Full-Color Surface-Discharge ac Plasma Display Panel," SID 92 Digest, pp. 713-716, San Jose, California, May 1992.
- Takahiro Yamaguchi and Shigeo Mikoshiba, "An Improvement of PDP Picture Quality by Using a Modified-Binary-Coded Scheme with a 3D Scattering of Motional Artifacts," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. E80-C, No. 8 pp. 1079-1085, August 1997.
- Takahiro Yamaguchi, Kosaku Toda, Yi-Wen Zhu, Tomokazu Shiga, Shigeo Mikoshiba, Toshio Ueda, Kyoji Kariya and Tsutae Shinoda, "Improving PDP picture quality by means of a motion-dependent equalizing-pulse technique," Journal of the SID, Vol. 7, Issue 3, pp. 227-237, 1999.
- M. A. Klompenhouwer and G. de Haan, "Optimally reducing Motion Artifacts in Plasma Displays," SID 00 Digest, pp. 388-391, Long Beach, California, May, 2000.
- Masanori Takeuchi, Masaya Tajima, Yutaka Chiaki, Syunji Ohta, Toshio Ueda and Akira Yamamoto, "New ALIS series PDPs with Improved Moving Picture Quality, High Luminance and High Color Performance," SID 04 Digest, pp. 206-209, Seattle, Washington, May, 2004.
- Tetsuro Nagakubo, Norimichi Tsumura, Toshiya Nakaguchi and Yoichi Miyake, "Dithering Algorithm Using Multi-Threshold Level on PDP," SID 07 Digest, pp. 1621-1624, Long Beach, California, May, 2007.
- Zhi-Hu Liang, Xiang-Ning Zhang, Chun-Liang Liu, and Xing-Long Ding, "Image-based Dynamic Subfield Coding for Improving Gray Scale Smooth in Color PDPs," IEEE Trans. Consumer Electronic, Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 973-977, August 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2009.5278051
- Jeongduk Ryeom, "Novel Priming Discharge Technique for 120-Hz FHD Plasma Display Panel," SID 08 Digest, pp. 488-491, Los Angeles, California, May, 2008.
- Han Collewijn and Ernst P Tamminga, "Human smooth and saccadic eye movements during voluntary pursuit of different target motions on different backgrounds," Journal of Physiology, 351, pp. 217-250, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1113/jphysiol.1984.sp015242
- N. D. Venkata, T. D. Kite, W. S. Geisler, B. L. Evans and A. C. Bovik, "Image quality assessment based on a degradation model," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp.636-650, April 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/83.841940
Supported by : NIPA(National IT Industry Promotion Agency