- Volume 8 Issue 6
This paper presents the optimal scheduling of hourly consumption in a residential community (community, neighborhood, etc.) based on real-time electricity price. The residential community encompasses individual residential loads, communal (shared) loads, and local generation. Community-aggregated loads, which include residential and communal loads, are modeled as fixed, adjustable, shiftable, and storage loads. The objective of the optimal load scheduling problem is to minimize the community-aggregated electricity payment considering the convenience of individual residents and hourly community load characteristics. Limitations are included on the hourly utility load (defined as community-aggregated load minus the local generation) that is imported from the utility grid. Lagrangian relaxation (LR) is applied to decouple the utility constraint and provide tractable subproblems. The decomposed subproblems are formulated as mixed-integer programming (MIP) problems. The proposed model would be used by community master controllers to optimize the utility load schedule and minimize the community-aggregated electricity payment. Illustrative optimal load scheduling examples of a single resident as well as an aggregated community including 200 residents are presented to show the efficiency of the proposed method based on real-time electricity price.
Residential community;Hourly community-aggregated load scheduling;Real-time electricity price;Lagrangian relaxation;Mixed integer program
- Ipackchi and F. Albuyeh, "Grid of the future - Are we ready to transition to a smart grid?," IEEE Power and Energy Mag., Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 52-62, Mar./Apr. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/MPE.2008.931384
- Assessment of achievable potential from energy efficiency and demand response programs in the US, Elec. Power Res. Inst., Jan. 2009, [Online]. Available: http://mydocs.epri.com/docs/public/000000000001018363.pdf
- Demand response program evaluation - Final report Quantum Consulting Inc. and Summit Blue Consulting, LLC Working Group 2 Measurement and Evaluation Committee, and California Edison Company, Apr. 2005.
- A. Khodaei, M. Shahidehpour and S. Bahramirad, "SCUC with hourly demand response considering inter-temporal load characteristics," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 564-571, Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2011.2157181
- J. Conejo, J. M. Morales and L. Baringo, "Real-time demand response model," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 236-242, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2010.2078843
- F. Wolak, Residential consumer response to real-time pricing: The Anaheim critical peak pricing experiment, Center for the Study of Energy Markets, Working Paper 151, May 2006.
- M. Ann-Piette, G. Ghatikar, S. Kiliccote, D. Watson, E. Koch, and D. Hennage, "Design and operation of an open, interoperable automated demand response infrastructure for commercial communitys," J. Comput. Inf. Sci. Eng., Vol. 9, pp. 1-9, Jun. 2009.
- A. Harris, "Smart buildings," Engineering & Technology, Vol. 7, No.6, pp. 52-54, July 2012.
- Z. Xu, X. Guan, Q. Jia, J. Wu, D. Wang and S. Chen, "Performance Analysis and Comparison on Energy Storage Devices for Smart Building Energy Management," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 2136-2147, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2012.2218836
- S. Tiptipakorn and W. J. Lee, "A residential consumer-centered load control strategy in real-time electricity pricing environment," North Amer. Power Symp., Las Cruces, NM, Oct. 2007.
- A. H. Mohsenian-Rad, V. Wong, J. Jatskevich, and R. Schober, "Optimal and autonomous incentive-based energy consumption scheduling algorithm for smart grid," IEEE PES Conf. Innov. Smart Grid Technol., Gaithersburg, MD, Jan. 2010.
- G. T. Costanzo, Z. Guchuan, M. F. Anjos, and G. Savard, "A System Architecture for Autonomous Demand Side Load Management in Smart Buildings," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 2157-2165, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2012.2217358
- L. Wang, Z. Wang, R. Yang, "Intelligent Multiagent Control System for Energy and Comfort Management in Smart and Sustainable Buildings," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 605-617, June 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2011.2178044
- T. Weng, Y. Agarwal "From Buildings to Smart Buildings - Sensing and Actuation to Improve Energy Efficiency," IEEE Design & Test of Computers, Vol. 29, No.4, pp. 36-44, Aug. 2012.
- H. Dawei, D. Liang, Y. Yi, R.G. Harley, T.G. Habetler, "Front-End Electronic Circuit Topology Analysis for Model-Driven Classification and Monitoring of Appliance Loads in Smart Buildings," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 2286-2293, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2012.2219327
- JinSung, P. Sehyun, "Development of a self-adapting intelligent system for building energy saving and context-aware smart services," IEEE Trans. Consumer Electronics, Vol.57, No.1, pp. 90-98, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2011.5735486
- A. Schmidt, K. Van Laerhoven, "How to build smart appliances?" IEEE Personal Communications, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 66-71, Aug. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/98.944006
- Z. Jianmin, M. Jafari, L. Yan, "Optimal energy management in community micro-grids," IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies - Asia, May 2012.
- A. Khodaei, M. Shahidehpour, "Optimal operation of a community-based microgrid," IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies - Asia, Nov. 2011.
- K. Tanaka, K. Maeda, "Simulation-based design of microgrid system for a resort community," International Conf. Clean Electrical Power (ICCEP), June 2011.
- M. Vafaei, M. Kazerani, "Optimal unit-sizing of a wind-hydrogen-diesel microgrid system for a remote community," IEEE Power Tech, Trondheim, June 2011.
- K.M. Zhang, R.J. Thomas, M. Bohm, M. Miller, "An Integrated Design Approach for Sustainable Community Development," 42nd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Jan. 2009.
- Cartes, J. Ordonez, J. Harrington, D. Cox, R. Meeker, "Novel Integrated Energy Systems and Control Methods with Economic Analysis for Integrated Community Based Energy Systems," IEEE Power Eng. Soc. General Meeting, June 2007.
- K. Unger, M. Kazerani, "Organically grown microgrids: Development of a solar neighborhood microgrid concept for off-grid communities," 38th Annual IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics, Oct. 2012.
- M. Arriaga, C.A. Canizares, M. Kazerani, "Renewable Energy Alternatives for Remote Communities in Northern Ontario, Canada," IEEE Trans. Sustainable Energy, In press.
- M. Shahidehpour, H. Yamin and Z. Li, Market Operations in Electric Power Systems, John Wiley and Sons, March 2002.
- R. K. Ahuja, T. L. Magnanti and J. B. Orlin. Network Flows: Theory, Algorithms, and Applications. Prentice Hall, 1993.
- M. Guignard, Lagrangian relaxation, [Online]. Available: http://top.umh.es/top11201.pdf
- H. Williams, Model Building in Mathematical Programming. Wiley, 4th edition, 1999.
- ILOG CPLEX, ILOG CPLEX Homepage 2009 [Online]. Available: http://www.ilog.com.
- Optimal Operation of a Residential Microgrid: The Role of Demand Side Management vol.1, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40903-015-0012-y
- Heuristic-Based Shiftable Loads Optimal Management in Smart Micro-Grids vol.11, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2014.2331000
- A distributed minimum losses optimal power flow for islanded microgrids vol.152, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2017.07.014
- Informatics Solution for Energy Efficiency Improvement and Consumption Management of Householders vol.11, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/en11010138
- Impact of Demand Response Programs on Optimal Operation of Multi-Microgrid System vol.11, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/en11061452
- Three-layer informatics solution for demand response management in the smart grid context vol.172, pp.1755-1315, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/172/1/012001
- Optimal Scheduling Approach on Smart Residential Community Considering Residential Load Uncertainties vol.14, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42835-019-00094-0
- Object-Oriented Usability Indices for Multi-Objective Demand Side Management Using Teaching-Learning Based Optimization vol.12, pp.3, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/en12030370