- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Challenges and Outlook for the UICC-Asian Regional Office
- Akaza, Hideyuki (Director of the UICC-ARO, Department of Strategic Investigation on Comprehensive Cancer Network, Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology, The University of Tokyo)
- Published : 2013.08.30
At the United Nations High-level Meeting on Non-communicable Disease Prevention and Control in 2011 the link between health and socioeconomic issues was raised, becoming a global political issue. Health equity is one challenge that has hitherto not been addressed directly, although there is a growing shared recognition that cancer in Asia is an urgent social issue. At the UICC-ARO we are working to promote and widen networks of individuals and organizations in Asia and involve them in cooperation for this purpose. As part of our current activities, we are addressing the question of the "Economic burden of cancer in Asian countries: How should we face the current situation?" from a variety of angles and seeking to bring together a wealth of multidisciplinary knowledge about cancer in Asia and its related socioeconomic factors. It is essential to ensure that the real picture of cancer in Asia, which is currently not accurately understood, is conveyed clearly to all concerned, and also that the differences between cancer in Asia and in the West are highlighted.
Cancer control;international organizations;cooperation;health equity;Asia specific problems
- Akaza H, Kawahara N (2013). Surviving Cancer in Asia, Multidisciplinary lecture series of the University of Tokyo; Eds. University of Tokyo Press.
- Akaza H, Kawahara N, Masui T, et al (2013). Union for International Cancer Control International Session: Healthcare Economics: The significance of the UN summit non-communicable diseases political declaration in Asia. Cancer Sci, 104, 773-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/cas.12142
- Kawahara N, Akaza H, Roh JK, et al (2012) The Eighth Asia Cancer Forum: Seeking to advance the outcomes of the UN summit: 'Global health as the key to a new paradigm in cancer research'. Jap J Clin Oncol, 42, 1222-31. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hys173
- Moore MA, Tajima K (2008). The APJCP as the official journal of the UICC-Asian Regional Office for Cancer Control and the Asian Pacific Organization for Cancer Prevention and Control. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 163-4.
- What and Where for Publications by Cancer Registries in the Asian Pacific? - Roles for the APJCP in the Future vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4939
- Japanese Cancer Association Meeting UICC International Session - What is Cost-effectiveness in Cancer Treatment? vol.15, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.3
- Roundtable Discussion at the UICC World Cancer Congress: Looking Toward the Realization of Universal Health Coverage for Cancer in Asia vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.1