- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Inpatients' Knowledge about Primary Liver Cancer and Hepatitis
- He, Wen-Jing (Shantou University of Medical College, Shantou University Medical College) ;
- Xu, Ming-Yan (Laboratory of Cell Senescence, Shantou University Medical College) ;
- Xu, Rui-Rui (Department of Minimally Invasive Surgery, Second Affiliated Hospital of Shantou University Medical College) ;
- Zhou, Xiao-Qiong (Shantou University of Medical College, Shantou University Medical College) ;
- Ouyang, Jun-Jie (Shantou University of Medical College, Shantou University Medical College) ;
- Han, Hui (Department of Minimally Invasive Surgery, Second Affiliated Hospital of Shantou University Medical College) ;
- Chen, Geng-Zhen (Department of Minimally Invasive Surgery, Second Affiliated Hospital of Shantou University Medical College)
- Published : 2013.08.30
Objective: To assess the level of an inpatient population's awareness about hepatitis and primary liver cancer (PLC), the most common type of which is hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), and then to initiate education of this group. Methods: A survey was conducted with 1300 participants within the inpatient unit in representative tertiary hospitals in the Chaoshan area of China. Structured questionnaires contained demographic data and statements about different aspects of liver cancer and hepatitis. The questionnaires were completed by trained medical practitioners after they had conducted the interviews. Results: One way ANOVA showed that the sample population lacked adequate knowledge about HCC and hepatitis. Stepwise multiple regression analysis demonstrated that the participant's level of education had the greatest impact on their total knowledge score when other variables remained constant. Conclusions: The study demonstrated: a general lack of awareness amongst the participants about the preventative strategies, and the management options available for people with primary liver cancer and hepatitis; education level was an important factor affecting knowledge levels. The demonstrated deficiencies in people's knowledge about hepatitis and HCC, and their lack of subsequent protective behaviours are likely to play an important role in HCC and hepatitis transmission or prevention.
Primary liver cancer (PLC);hepatocellular cancer (HCC);hepatitis;knowledge;prevention;education
- Bruix J, Sherman M (2011). Management of hepatocellular carcinoma: an update. Hepatology, 53, 1020-2. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.24199
- Deng DJ, Xin HJ (2000). Formation of N-(Nitrosomethyl)urea in stomachs of experimental pigs and human volunteers given fish sauce in vivo. J Agric Food Chem, 48, 2495-8. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf990967q
- Deng DJ, Ma H, Wang RM, et al (1998). Characterization of N-(Nitrosomethyl)urea in Nitrosated Fermented Fish Products. J Agric Food Chem, 46, 202-5. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9706282
- El-Serag HB, Marrero JA, Rudolph L, Reddy KR (2008). Diagnosis and treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology, 134, 1752-63. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2008.02.090
- Elango KJ, Anandkrishnan N, Suresh A, et al (2011). Mouth self-examination to improve oral cancer awareness and early detection in a high-risk population. Oral Oncol, 47, 620-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2011.05.001
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Giles ML, Grace R, Tai A, et al (2013) Prevention of mother-to-child transmission of hepatitis B virus (HBV). during pregnancy and the puerperium: Current standards of care. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol, 53, 231-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/ajo.12061
- Haorah J, Wang XJ, Xu GP, et al (2001). Determination of total N-nitroso compounds and their precursors in frankfurters, fresh meat, dried salted fish, sauces, tobacco, and tobacco smoke particulates. J Agric Food Chem, 49,6068-78. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf010602h
- Humphris GM, Field EA (2003). The immediate effect on knowledge, attitudes and intentions in primary care attenders of a patient information leaflet: a randomized control trial replication and extension. Br Dent J, 194, 683-8; discussion 675. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4810283
- Kao JH, Chen PJ, Chen DS (2010). Recent advances in the research of hepatitis B virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma: epidemiologic and molecular biological aspects. Adv Cancer Res, 108, 21-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-380888-2.00002-9
- Kim Y J, Lee HS (2005). Single nucleotide polymorphisms associated with hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with chronic hepatitis B virus infection. Intervirology, 48, 10-5. https://doi.org/10.1159/000082089
- Lee YC, Cohet C, Yang YC, et al (2009). Meta-analysis of epidemiologic studies on cigarette smoking and liver cancer. Int J Epidemiol, 38, 1497-511. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyp280
- Liu.C, Wang YM, Fan K (2011). Epidemiological and clinical features of hepatitis B virus related liver failure in China. World J Gastroenterol, 17, 3054-9. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v17.i25.3054
- Llovet JM, Burroughs A, Bruix J (2003). Hepatocellular carcinoma. Lancet, 362, 1907-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)14964-1
- Li S, Mao M (2012). Next generation sequencing reveals genetic landscape of hepatocellular carcinomas. Cancer Lett, pii: S0304-3835(12)00591-5.
- Lok AS, Lai CL, Chung HT, et al (1991). Morbidity and mortality from chronic hepatitis B virus infection in family members of patients with malignant and nonmalignant hepatitis B virus-related chronic liver diseases. Hepatology, 13, 834-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.1840130506
- Lopez-Jornet P, Camacho-Alonso F, Minano FM, Sanchez-Siles M (2012). Evaluation of the different strategies to oral cancer knowledge: a randomized controlled study. Psychooncology, 22, 1618-23.
- Mitacek EJ, Brunnemann KD, Suttajit M, et al (1999). Exposure to N-nitroso compounds in a population of high liver cancer regions in Thailand: volatile nitrosamine (VNA). levels in Thai food. Food Chem Toxicol, 37, 297-305. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-6915(99)00017-4
- Montalto G, Cervello M, Giannitrapani L, et al (2002). Epidemiology, risk factors, and natural history of hepatocellular carcinoma. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 963, 13-20.
- Nobili V, Manco M, Devito R, et al (2008). Lifestyle intervention and antioxidant therapy in children with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a randomized, controlled trial. Hepatology, 48, 119-28. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.22336
- Parkin DM, Srivatanakul P, Khlat M, et al (1991). Liver cancer in Thailand. I. A case-control study of cholangiocarcinoma. Int J Cancer, 48, 323-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910480302
- Petti S, Scully C (2007). Oral cancer knowledge and awareness: primary and secondary effects of an information leaflet. Oral Oncol, 43, 408-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2006.04.010
- Peter FS (1975). The toxicology of nitrate, nitrite and n-nitroso compounds. J Sci Food Agric, 26, 1761-70 https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740261119
- Plescia M, Richardson LC, Joseph D (2012). New roles for public health in cancer screening. CA Cancer J Clin, 62, 217-9. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21147
- Qin SL, Lin YC, Li CT, Xie XL (2010). Statistical analysis of inpatients with malignancies and death rate in shantou cancer hospital from 2004 to 2008. IMHGN, 16, 889-92.
- Shariff MI, Cox IJ, Gomaa AI, et al (2009). Hepatocellular carcinoma: current trends in worldwide epidemiology, risk factors, diagnosis and therapeutics. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol, 3, 353-67. https://doi.org/10.1586/egh.09.35
- Stute R, Petridis K, Steinhart H, Biernoth G (2002). Biogenic amines in fish and soy sauces. Eur Food Res Technol, 215, 101-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-002-0509-y
- Wakabayashi K, Nagao M, Chung TH, et al (1985). Appearance of direct-acting mutagenicity of various foodstuffs produced in Japan and Southeast Asia on nitrite treatment. Mutat Res, 158, 119-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1218(85)90073-4
- Wang HH, Chung YC, Sun JL (2012). The effects of education program on knowledge and intention of breast cancer screening in Taiwan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5545-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5545
- Wedding D. Behavior and Medicine. 3rd ed. Seattle: Hogrefe & Huber, 2001. Print.
- Yao LJ, Huang JY, Huang JH, Huang SS, Liao CH, et al (2007). Analysis on Epidemiological Trend of Class.A and Class.B Infectious Diseases From 1995 to 2005 in Shantou City. Prac Prev Med, 14, 721-3.
- Yu MC, Tong MJ, Govindarajan S, Henderson BE (1991). Nonviral risk factors for hepatocellular carcinoma in a low-risk population, the non-Asians of Los Angeles County, California. J Natl Cancer Inst, 83, 1820-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/83.24.1820
- Yu MC, Yuan JM (2004). Environmental factors and risk for hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology, 127, S72-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gastro.2004.09.018
- Yu MW, Chang HC, Liaw YF, et al (2000). Familial risk of hepatocellular carcinoma among chronic hepatitis B carriers and their relatives. J Natl Cancer Inst, 92, 1159-64. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/92.14.1159
- Yu MW, Hsu FC, Sheen IS, et al (1997). Prospective study of hepatocellular carcinoma and liver cirrhosis in asymptomatic chronic hepatitis B virus carriers. Am J Epidemiol, 145, 1039-47. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a009060
- Zhang JY, Wang X, Han SG, Zhuang H (1998). A case-control study of risk factors for hepatocellular carcinoma in Henan, China. Am J Trop Med Hyg, 59, 947-51.
- Zhang LL, Lin JX, Zhang JH (2011). The health survey of primary and secondary school students in Shantou. Chin J School Doctor, 25, 557-8.
- Impact of an Information Leaflet on Knowledge of Hepatocellular Carcinoma and Hepatitis B among Chinese Youth vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.439
- The Incidence and Mortality of Liver Cancer and its Relationship with Development in Asia vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2041
- Label-free detection of liver cancer based on silver nanoparticles coated tissue surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy vol.15, pp.12, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1612-202X/aae13c