- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Upregulated Myc Expression in N-Methyl Nitrosourea (MNU)-induced Rat Mammary Tumours
- Barathidasan, Rajamani (Division of Pathology, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Pawaiya, Rajveer Singh (Division of Animal Health, Central Institute for Research on Goats) ;
- Rai, Ram Bahal (Division of Pathology, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Dhama, Kuldeep (Division of Pathology, Indian Veterinary Research Institute)
- Published : 2013.08.30
Background: The most common incident cancer and cause of cancer-related deaths in women is breast cancer. The Myc gene is upregulated in many cancer types including breast cancer, and it is considered as a potential anti-cancer drug target. The present study was conducted to evaluate the Myc (gene and protein) expression pattern in an experimental mammary tumour model in rats. Materials and Methods: Thirty six Sprague Dawley rats were divided into: Experimental group (26 animals), which received the chemical carcinogen N-methyl nitrosourea (MNU) and a control group (10 animals), which received vehicle only. c-Myc oncoprotein and its mRNA expression pattern were evaluated using immunohistochemistry (IHC) and semi-quantitative reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), respectively, in normal rat mammary tissue and mammary tumours. The rat glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase (GAPDH) gene was used as internal control for semi-quantitative RT-PCR. Results: Histopathological examination of mammary tissues and tumours from MNU treated animals revealed the presence of premalignant lesions, benign tumours, in situ carcinomas and invasive carcinomas. Immunohistochemical evaluation of tumour tissues showed upregulation and heterogeneous cellular localization of c-Myc oncoprotein. The expression levels of c-Myc oncoprotein were significantly elevated (75-91%) in all the tumours. Semi-quantitative RT-PCR revealed increased expression of c-Myc mRNA in mammary tumours compared to normal mammary tissues. Conclusions: Further large-scale investigation study is needed to adopt this experimental rat mammary tumour model as an in vivo model to study anti-cancer strategies directed against Myc or its downstream partners at the transcriptional or post-transcriptional level.
Myc;rat mammary tumour;overexpression;immunohistochemistry;semi;quantitative RT-PCR
- Blancato J, Singh B, Liu A, et al (2004). Correlation of amplification and overexpression of the c-myc oncogene in high-grade breast cancer: FISH, in situ hybridisation and immunohistochemical analyses. Br J Cancer, 90, 1612-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6601703
- Bonnett B, Egenvall NA, Hedhammar A, et al (2005). Mortality in over 350000 insured Swedish dogs from 1995-2000: I. Breed, gender, age and cause specific rates. Acta Vet Scand, 46, 105-20. https://doi.org/10.1186/1751-0147-46-105
- Chen CH, Shen J, Lee WJ, et al (2005). Overexpression of cyclin D1 and c-Myc gene products in human primary epithelial ovarian cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 15, 878-83. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1438.2005.00150.x
- De Jonage-Canonico MB, Lenoir V, Martin A, et al (2003). Long term inhibition by estradiol or progesterone of melatonin secretion after administration of a mammary carcinogen, the dimethyl benz(a)anthracene, in Sprague-Dawley female rat; inhibitory effect of Melatonin on mammary carcinogenesis. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 79, 365-77. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024059824430
- Deming SL, Nass SJ, Dickson RB, et al (2000). c-myc amplification in breast cancer: a meta-analysis of its occurrence and prognostic relevance. Br J Cancer, 83, 1688-95. https://doi.org/10.1054/bjoc.2000.1522
- Evan G (2012). Taking a back door to target Myc. Science, 335, 293-4. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1217819
- Fisher B, Costantino JP, Wickerham DL, et al (1998). Tamoxifen for the prevention of breast cancer: report of the national surgical adjuvant breast and bowel project P-1 study. J Natl Cancer Inst, 90, 1371-88. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/90.18.1371
- Guenin S, Mauriat M, Pelloux J, et al (2009). Normalization of qRT-PCR data: the necessity of adopting a systematic, experimental conditions-specific, validation of references. J Exp Bot, 60, 487-93. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/ern305
- Gullino PM, Pettingrew HM, Grantham, FIT (1975). N-nitrosomethylurea as mammary gland carcinogen in rats. J Natl Cancer Inst, 54 401-14.
- Hongxing Z, Nancai Y, Wen S, et al (2008). Depletion of c-Myc inhibits human colon cancer colo 320 cells’ growth. Cancer Biother Radiopharm, 23, 229-37. https://doi.org/10.1089/cbr.2007.0441
- Huggins C, Lorreine CG, Filomena PB (1959). Critical significance of breast structure in the induction of mammary cancer in the rat. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 45, 1294-300. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.45.8.1294
- Imaoka T, Nishimura M, Teramoto A, et al (2005). Cooperative induction of rat mammary cancer by radiation and 1-methyl-1-nitrosourea via the oncogenic pathways involving c-Myc activation and H-ras mutation. Int J Cancer, 115, 187-93. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.20904
- Inoue M, Shiramizu K (1999). Immunohistochemical detection of p53 and c-myc proteins in canine mammary tumours. J Comp Pathol, 120, 169-75. https://doi.org/10.1053/jcpa.1998.0268
- Jain M, Arvanitis C, Chu K, et al (2002). Sustained loss of a neoplastic phenotype by brief inactivation of MYC. Science, 297, 102-4. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1071489
- Jemal, A, Seigel R, Ward E, et al (2008) Cancer statistics 2008. CA Cancer J Clin, 58, 71-96. https://doi.org/10.3322/CA.2007.0010
- Kessler JD, Kahle KT, Sun T, et al (2012). A Sumoylation-dependent transcriptional subprogram is required for Myc-driven tumorigenesis. Science, 335, 348-53. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1212728
- Kininis M, Kraus WL (2008). A global view of transcriptional regulation by nuclear receptors: Gene expression, factor localization, and DNA sequence analysis. Nucl Recept Signal, 6, 5.
- Kubatka PE, Ahlersova I, Ahlers B, et al (2002). Variability of mammary carcinogenesis induction in female Sprague-Dawley and Wistar: Han Rats: The effect of season and age. Physiol Res, 51, 633-40.
- Liao DJ, Dickson RB (2000). c-Myc in breast cancer. Endocr Relat Cancer, 7, 143-64. https://doi.org/10.1677/erc.0.0070143
- Loscher W, Mevissen M, Haussler B (1997). Seasonal influence on 7,12-Dimethylbenz(a) anthracene-induced mammary carcinogenesis in Sprague-Dawley rats under controlled laboratory conditions. Pharmacol Toxicol, 81, 265-70.
- Luo J, Solimini NL, Elledge SJ (2009). Principles of cancer therapy: oncogene and non-oncogene addiction. Cell, 136, 823-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2009.02.024
- Mariani-Costantini R, Escot C, Theillet C, et al (1988). In situ c-myc expression and genomic status of the c-myc locus in infiltrating ductal carcinomas of the breast. Cancer Res, 48, 199-205.
- Masramon L, Arribas R, Tartola S, et al (1998). Moderate amplifications of the c-myc gene correlate with molecular and clinicopathological parameters in colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer, 77, 2349-56. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1998.390
- Mayilkumar K (2009). Evaluation of c-erbB2 and estrogen receptor expression in chemically induced rat mammary tumours. M.V.Sc. Thesis, Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI), Izatnagar, Bareilly, U.P, India.
- McNeil CM, Sergio CM, Anderson LR, et al (2006). c-Myc overexpression and endocrine resistance in breast cancer. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol, 102, 147-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsbmb.2006.09.028
Nakai T, Mochida J, Sakai D (2008). Synergistic role of c-Myc and ERK1/2 in the mitogenic response to TGF
$\beta$-1 in cultured rat nucleus pulposes cells. Arthritis Res Ther, 10, 140. https://doi.org/10.1186/ar2567
- Nesbit CE, Tersak JM, Prochownik EV (1999). MYC oncogenes and human neoplastic disease. Oncogene, 18, 3004-16. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1202746
- Oster SK, Ho CS, Soucie EL, et al (2002). The Myc oncogene: marvelously complex. Adv Cancer Res, 84, 81-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-230X(02)84004-0
- Pavelic ZP, Pavelic K, Carter CP, et al (1992). Heterogeneity of c-myc expression in histologically similar infiltrating ductal carcinomas of the breast. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 118, 16-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01192306
- Pawaiya RVS (2003). Pathology of chemically induced neoplasms and evaluation of molecular markers in diagnosis of animal tumours. Ph.D. Thesis, Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI), Izatnagar, Bareilly, U.P, India.
- Pawaiya RVS (2012). Molecular Pathology of Chemically-Induced and Spontaneous Animal Tumors. LAP Lambert Academic Publishing GmbH & Co. KG, Saarbrucken, Germany.
- Pawaiya RVS, Ramkumar (2009). c-myc expression pattern in canine mammary and human breast cancer. Indian J Vet Pathol, 33, 49-52.
- Pietilainen T, Lipponen P, Aaltomaa S, et al (1995). Expression of c-myc proteins in breast cancer as related to established prognostic factors and survival. Anticancer Res, 15, 959-64.
- Royds JA, Sharrard RM, Wanger B, et al (1992). Cellular localization of c-myc product in human colorectal epithelial neoplasia. J Pathol, 166, 225-33. https://doi.org/10.1002/path.1711660304
- Russo J, Russo IH (2000). Atlas and histologic classification of tumors of the rat mammary gland. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia, 5, 187-200. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026443305758
- Sanchez-Pernaute A, Perez-Aguirre E, Cerdan FJ, et al (2005). Overexpression of c-myc and loss of heterozygosity on 2p, 3p, 5q, 17p and 18q in sporadic colorectal carcinoma. Rev Esp Enferm Dig, 97, 169-78.
- Shachaf CM, Kopelman AM, Arvanitis C, et al (2004). MYC inactivation uncovers pluripotent differentiation and tumour dormancy in hepatocellular cancer. Nature, 431, 1112-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature03043
- Shen Q, Brown PH (2003). Novel agents for the prevention of breast cancer: Targeting transcription factors and signal transduction pathways. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia, 8, 45-73. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1025783221557
- Shibata M, Hariya T, Hatao M, et al (1999). Quantitative polymerase chain reaction using an external control mRNA for determination of gene expression in a heterogeneous cell population. Toxicol Sci, 49, 290-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/49.2.290
- Siegel R, Ward E, Brawley O, et al (2011). Cancer statistics. The impact of eliminating socioeconomic and racial disparities on premature cancer deaths. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 212-36. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20121
- Sikora K, Evan G, Stewart J, et al (1985). Detection of the c-myc oncogene product in testicular cancer. Br J Cancer, 52, 171-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1985.174
- Soucek L, Evan GI (2010). The ups and downs of Myc biology. Curr Opin Genet Dev, 20, 91-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gde.2009.11.001
- Spicer DB, Sonenshein GE (1992). An antisense promoter of the murine c-myc gene is localized within intron 2. Mol Cell Biol, 12, 1324-9.
- Sumova A, Bendova Z, Sladek M, et al (2004). Seasonal molecular timekeeping within the rat circadian clock. Physiol Res, 53, 167-76.
- Tao L, Kramer PM, Wang W, et al (2002). Altered expression of c-myc, p16 and p27 in rat colon tumors and its reversal by short-term treatment with chemopreventive agents. Carcinogenesis, 23, 1447-54. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/23.9.1447
- Thompson HJ, Adlakha H (1991). Dose-responsive induction of mammary gland carcinomas by the intraperitoneal injection of 1-methyl-l-nitrosourea. Cancer Res, 51, 3411-5.
- Thompson HJ, McGinley JN, Rothammer K, et al (1995). Rapid induction of mammary intraductal proliferations, ductal carcinoma in situ and carcinomas by the injection of sexually immature female rats with 1-methyl-1-nitrosourea. Carcinogenesis, 16, 2407-11. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/16.10.2407
Vegh I, Salamanca RE (2007). Prolactin, TNF-
$\alpha$and nitric oxide expression in nitroso-N-methylurea-induced-mammary tumours. J Carcinog, 6, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-3163-6-1
- Wang Y, Wu MC, Sham JS, et al (2002). Prognostic significance of c-myc and AIB1 amplification in hepatocellular carcinoma. A broad survey using high-throughput tissue microarray. Cancer, 95, 2346-52. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.10963
- Wang YH, Liu S, Zhang G, et al (2005). Knockdown of c-Myc expression by RNAi inhibits MCF-7 breast tumor cells growth in vitro and in vivo. Breast Cancer Res, 7, 220-8. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr1306
- WHO World Cancer Report (2008). Introduction: Needs and prospects for cancer control. Chapter 1.1, p.15.
- Zhang X, Ge YL, Tian RH (2009). The knockdown of c-Myc expression by RNAi inhibits cell proliferation in human colon cancer HT-29 cells in vitro and in vivo. Cell Mol Biol Lett, 14, 305-18. https://doi.org/10.2478/s11658-009-0001-9
- Liposome-mediated Induction of Apoptosis of Human Hepatoma Cells by C-Myc Antisense Phosphorothioate Oligodeoxynucleotide and 5-Fluorouracil vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5529
- Identification of reference genes for qRT-PCR in human lung squamous-cell carcinoma by RNA-Seq vol.46, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1093/abbs/gmt153
- N-Methyl-N-nitrosourea as a mammary carcinogenic agent vol.36, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-015-3973-2