- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Schistosomiasis Combined with Colorectal Carcinoma Diagnosed Based on Endoscopic Findings and Clinicopathological Characteristics: A Report on 32 Cases
- Liu, Wei (Digestive Endoscopy Center, Department of Gastroenterology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University) ;
- Zeng, Hong-Ze (Digestive Endoscopy Center, Department of Gastroenterology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University) ;
- Wang, Qi-Ming (Digestive Endoscopy Center, Department of Gastroenterology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University) ;
- Yi, Hang (Digestive Endoscopy Center, Department of Gastroenterology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University) ;
- Mou, Yi (Digestive Endoscopy Center, Department of Gastroenterology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University) ;
- Wu, Chun-Cheng (Digestive Endoscopy Center, Department of Gastroenterology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University) ;
- Hu, Bing (Digestive Endoscopy Center, Department of Gastroenterology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University) ;
- Tang, Cheng-Wei (Digestive Endoscopy Center, Department of Gastroenterology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University)
- Published : 2013.08.30
Aims and Background: To improve understanding of the relationship between schistosome-related enteropathy and colorectal carcinoma with particular focus on endoscopic findings and clinicopathological characteristics of colonic schistosomiasis. Materials and Methods: All cases of intestinal schistosomiasis diagnosed at West China Hospital, Chengdu, China, between October 2006 and October 2012 were included in this study. A total of 179 cases of colonic schistosomiasis diagnosed through colonoscopy and pathological examinations were collected for analysis and the demographics, symptoms, endoscopic findings and clinicopathological characteristics were retrospectively evaluated. Results: Of the 179 colonic schistosomiasis patients, 32 combined with colorectal cancer (CRC) were found, between the ages of 44 and 85 years (24 males, 75%). These 32 lesions were classified as 12 endophytic/ulcerative (37.5%), 10 exophytic/fungating (31.2%), 4 annular (12.5%), 3 giant polypus (9.4%), and 3 IIc (superficial depressed type) (9.4%). The segments of rectum and sigmoid colon were involved in 19 patients (59.4%) and 6 patients (18.8%), respectively. The histopathologic types were classified as follows: 30 welldifferentiated adenocarcinomas, one mucinous adenocarcinoma and one poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma. The pathological findings suggest colorectal malignancy with deposited schistosome ova. Conclusions: Chronic schistosomal infestation has a probable etiological role in promoting genesis of colorectal neoplasms.
Colonoscopy;pathological examination;colorectal carcinoma;schistosomiasis
- Canepa M, Fanta PT, Weidner N, Peterson MR (2012). Schistosomiasis and signet ring cell carcinoma of the rectum. Ann Diagn Pathol, 16, 385-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anndiagpath.2010.12.008
- Cao J, Liu WJ, Xu XY, Zou XP (2010). Endoscopic findings and clinicopathologic characteristics of colonic schistosomiasis: A report of 46 cases. World J Gastroenterol, 16, 723-7. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v16.i6.723
- Deng W, Xu B, Hu H, et al (2013). Diagnosis of schistosomiasis japonica with interfacial co-assembly-based multi-channel electrochemical immunosensor. Arrays Sci Rep, 3, 1789.
- Engels D, Chitsulo L, Montresor A, Savioli L (2002). The global epidemiological Situation of schistosomiasis and new approaches to control and research. Acta Trop, 82, 139-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0001-706X(02)00045-1
- Gryseels B, Polman K, Clerinx J, Kestens L (2006). Human schistosomiasis. Lancet, 368, 1106-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(06)69440-3
- Japanese Society for Cancer of the Colon and Rectum (2009). Japanese Classification of Colorectal Carcinoma, 2nd English Edition. Tokyo: Kanehara &Co., LTD.
- Jass JR (2007). Classification of colorectal cancer based on correlation of clinical, morphological and molecular features. Histopathology, 50, 113-30. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2559.2006.02549.x
- Jemal A, Bray F, Melissa M. Center, et al (2011). Global Cancer Statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Khurana S, Dubey ML, Malla N (2005). Association of Parasitic Infections and Cancers. Indian J Med Microbiol, 23, 74-9. https://doi.org/10.4103/0255-0857.16044
- Lei ZL, Zheng H, Zhang LJ, et al (2011). [Schistosomiasis status in People's Republic of China in 2010]. Zhongguo Xue Xi Chong Bing Fang Zhi Za Zhi, 23, 599-604. [Article in Chinese]
- Madbouly KM, Senagore AJ, Mukerjee A, et al (2007). Colorectal cancer in a population withendemic Schistosoma mansoni: is this an at-risk population? Int J Colorectal Dis, 22, 175-81.
- Palumbo E (2007). Association Between Schistosomiasis and Cancer: A Review. Infect Dis Clin Pract, 15, 145-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.idc.0000269904.90155.ce
- Regula J, Rupinski M, Kraszewska E, et al (2006). Colonoscopy in colorectal-cancer screening for detection of advanced neoplasia. N Engl J Med, 355, 1863-72. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa054967
- Salim HO, Hamid HK, Mekki SO, Suleiman SH, Ibrahim SZ (2010). Colorectal carcinoma associated with schistosomiasis: a possible causal relationship. World J Surg Oncol, 8, 68. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-8-68
- Stanley R, Hamilton SR, Aaltonen LA (2000). World health organization classification of tumors: pathology and genetics of tumors of the digestive system. Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer, 103-19.
- Vennervald BJ, Polman K (2009). Helminths and malignancy. Parasite Immunol, 31, 686-96. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3024.2009.01163.x
- Zanger P, Habscheid W, Kremsner PG, Dahm HH (2010). Schistosoma japonicum infection and rectal carcinoid tumour: underreported coincidence or neglected association? Epidemiol Infect, 138, 1289-91. https://doi.org/10.1017/S095026880999152X
- Zauber AG, Winawer SJ, O’Brien MJ, et al (2012). Colonoscopic polypectomy and long-term prevention of colorectal-cancer deaths. N Engl J Med, 366, 687-96. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1100370
- Zhang W, Wang PJ, Shen X, et al (2012). CT presentations of colorectal cancer with chronic schistosomiasis:A comparative study with pathological findings. Eur J Radiol, 81, 835-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2012.02.020
- Histopathological Profile of Benign Colorectal Diseases in Al-Madinah Region of Saudi Arabia vol.15, pp.18, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7673
- Comparison of non-schistosomal rectosigmoid cancer and schistosomal rectosigmoid cancer vol.21, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v21.i23.7225
- Clinicopathological characteristics and prognosis of schistosomal colorectal cancer vol.18, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/codi.13317
- Colorectal cancer in a patient with intestinal schistosomiasis: a case report from Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Center Northern Zone Tanzania vol.15, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12957-017-1217-1