- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Quality of Life in Turkish Patients with Head and Neck Cancer
- Akkas, Ebru Atasever (Department of Radiation Oncology, Dr. Abdurrahman Yurtaslan Oncology Research and Training Hospital) ;
- Yucel, Birsen (Radiation Oncology, Cumhuriyet University School of Medicine) ;
- Kilickap, Saadettin (Oncology Department, Medical Oncology, Hacettepe University School of Medicine) ;
- Altuntas, Emine Elif (ENT, Cumhuriyet University School of Medicine)
- Published : 2013.08.30
Background: In this study, our aim was to investigate the effect of factors, such as radiotherapy, the dose of radiotherapy, the region of radiotherapy, the age of the patient, performance, co-morbidity, the stage of the disease and the therapy modalities on the quality of life of patients with head and neck cancer. Materials and Methods: Eighty-two patients who were treated by either chemoradiotherapy or radiotherapy, at the Cumhuriyet University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Radiation Oncology, between February 2007 and September 2010, for head and neck cancer were included. The quality of life European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer, Questionnaire module to be used in Quality of Life assessments in Head and Neck Cancer (EORTC QLQ-H&N35) questionnaire was conducted in all patients before starting the radiotherapy, in the middle, at the end, at 1 month and at 6 months after the treatment. Results: According to the questionnaires at the end and at the
Chemoradiotherapy;head and neck cancer;life quality;radiotherapy
- Ackerstaff AH, Rasch CRN, Balm AJM, et al (2012). Five-year quality of life results of the randomized clinical phase III (radplat) trial, comparing concomitant intra-arterial versus intravenous chemoradiotherapy in locally advanced head and neck cancer. Head Neck, 34, 974-80. https://doi.org/10.1002/hed.21851
- Aplak B, Malkoc M, Gelecek N, Sen M (2007). Quality of life of Turkish patients with head and neck cancer. Turk J Cancer, 37, 129-36.
- Bjordal K, Ahlner-Elmqvist M, Tollesson E, et al (1994). Development of a European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) questionnaire module to be used in quality of life assesments in head and neck cancer. Acta Oncol, 33, 879-85. https://doi.org/10.3109/02841869409098450
- Bjordal K, Hammerlid E, Ahlner-Elmqvist M, et al (1999). Quality of life in head and neck patients: Validation of the EORTC H&N35. J Clin Oncol, 17, 1008-19.
- Boscolo-Rizzo P, Stellin M, Fuson R, et al (2009). Long-term quality of life after treatment for locally advanced oropharyngeal carcinoma:surgery and postoperative radiotherapy versus cocurrent chemoradiation. Oral Oncol, 45, 953-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2009.06.005
- Campbell BH, Marbella A, Peter M (2000). Quality of life and recurrence concern in survivors of head and neck cancer. Laryngoscope, 110, 895-906. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005537-200006000-00003
- Foote RL, K Kian Ang (2007). Head and Neck Tumors. Eds Bogart JA, Buchholz TA, Foote RL et al. Gunderson and Tepper Clinical Radiation Oncology. 2nd Edition, Elsevier, Philadelphia, pp: 629-37.
- Jemal A, Murray T, Samuels A, et al (2003). Cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 53, 5-26. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.53.1.5
- Kim TW, Youm H, Byun H, Son YI, Baek CH (2010). Treatment outcomes and quality of life in oropharyngeal cancer after surgery-based versus radiation-based treatment. Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol, 3, 153-60. https://doi.org/10.3342/ceo.2010.3.3.153
- Osthus AA, Aarstad A, Olofsson J, et al (2011). Head and neck specific health related quality of life scores predict subsequent survival in successfully treated head and neck cancer patients: a prospective cohort study. Oral Oncol, 47, 974-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2011.07.010
- Oztop I (2008). Targeted Therapy in head and neck cancer. Int J Hematol and Oncol, 1, 46-56.
- Tschudi D, Stoeckli S, Schmid S (2003). Quality of life after different treatment modalities for carcinoma of the oropharynx. Laryngoscope, 113, 1949-54.
- Symptoms of patients with head and neck cancers undergoing radiotherapy vol.26, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12584
- Life Priorities in Head and Neck Cancer Patients Between Ages of 45 to 65 vol.27, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1097/SCS.0000000000002671
- Symptom burden and patient characteristics: Association with quality of life in patients with head and neck cancer undergoing radiotherapy vol.39, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/hed.24875