- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Challenges in Volunteering from Cancer Care Volunteers Perspectives
- Kamaludin, Kauthar Mohamad (Department of Professional Development and Continuing Education, Faculty of Educational Studies) ;
- Muhammad, Mazanah (Department of Professional Development and Continuing Education, Faculty of Educational Studies) ;
- Abdul Wahat, Nor Wahiza (Department of Professional Development and Continuing Education, Faculty of Educational Studies) ;
- Ibrahim, Rahimah (Department of Human Development and Family Studies, Faculty of Human Ecology)
- Published : 2013.08.30
The involvement of non-government organizations (NGOs) and support groups has helped strengthen public health services in addressing cancer care burden. Owing to the contribution of volunteers in cancer care, this article documents a qualitative study that examined challenges in attracting and retaining cancer care volunteers as part of the effort to develop a volunteer recruitment model. Data were collected through three focus group discussions involving 19 cancer support group members in Malaysia. Findings of the study revealed that mobility and locality appeared to be significant in Malaysian context, while the need for financial support and time flexibility are challenges faced by cancer support groups to attract and retain volunteers. The findings imply that cancer care initiatives can benefit from more local volunteers but at the same time these volunteers require flexibility and financial support to sustain their engagement.
- Lim GCC (2002). Overview of Cancer in Malaysia. Foundation for Promotion of Cancer Research.
- Lindenmeir J (2008). Promoting Volunteerism: Effects of Self-efficacy, Advertisement-Induced Emotional Arousal, Perceived Costs of Volunteering and Message Framing. Voluntas, 19, 43-65. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11266-008-9054-z
- Marrow- Howell N, Lott L, Ozawa M (1990). The Impact of Race on Volunteer Helping Relationships among the Elderly. National Association of Social Workers, 25.
- Martindale C J, Drake J B (1989). Factor Structure Deterrents to Participation in Off-Duty Adult Education Programs. Adult Educ Quart, 39, 63-75. https://doi.org/10.1177/0001848189039002001
- Merriam S (1998). Qualitative Research and Case Study Application in Education. San Francisco, C.A: Jossey:Bass.
- Mjelde-Mossey LA, Chi I, Chow N (2002). Volunteering in the social services: Preferences, expectations, barriers, and motivation of aging Chinese professionals in Hong Kong. Hallym Int J Aging, 4, 31-44. https://doi.org/10.2190/0YJY-PT7B-GXXH-100R
- O’ Driscoll MP, Ilgen DR, Hildreth K (1992). Time devoted to job and off-job activities, interrole conflict and affective experiences. J Applied Psychol, 77, 272-9. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.77.3.272
- Pearce J (1993).Volunteers: The organizational behavior of unpaid workers. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Stewart BW, Kleihues P (2003). World Cancer Report.
- Terry BD (2005). Measuring the Net Benefits of Extension Volunteer Programs. The J Volunteer Administration, 23.
- Volunteering Code of Good Practice (2009). http://www.cambridgeshire.net/Cambridgeshire Compact. Consultant Document.
- Volunteering Strategy Workshops (2007). Department for Social Development, NIACRO. www.dsdni.gov.uk/...volunteering-strategy-workshops.doc.
- Warburton J, Crosier T (2001). Are We Too Busy To Volunteer? The Relationship between Time and Volunteering Using the 1997 ABS Time Use Data. Australian J Social Issues, 36, 4.
- Ward J, Wood C (2000). Education and training of healthcare staff: the barriers to its success. Eur J Cancer Care, 9, 80-5. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2354.2000.00205.x
- Willems J, Huybrechts G, Jegers M, Vantilborgh T, et al (2012). Volunteer decision (not) to leave: Reason to quit versus functional motives to stay. Human Relations, 65, 883-900. https://doi.org/10.1177/0018726712442554
- Wilson JC, Newman ME (2011). Reasons for volunteering as a mississippi master gardener. J Extension, 49, 5.
- Wisner PS, Stringfellow A, Youngdahl WE, Parker L (2005). The service volunteer-loyalty chain: an exploratory study of charitable not-for-profit service organizations. J Oper Manag, 23, 143-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2004.07.003
- Zweigenhatt RL, Aimstrong J, Quitis F, Riddick A (1996). The motivations and effectiveness of hospital volunteers. J Social Psycol, 136, 25-34. https://doi.org/10.1080/00224545.1996.9923026
- Azizan B (1993). Lack of volunteer participation. http://www.sukarelawanmalaysia.com/v1/artikel-teks-pembentangan/32-kerja-sukarela-kurang-mendapat-sambutan.html. Magazine of Dewan Masyarakat.
- Allen R (2000). Volunteering Project by the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
- American Cancer Society (2013). Cancer Facts and Figures 2013. Atlanta: American Cancer Society.
- Barbara AJ, Kirton J, Birakurataki J, Merriman A (2011). A bridge to the hospice: the impact of a community volunteer programme in Uganda. Palliat Med, 25, 706. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269216310397566
- Boyle P, Levin B (2008). World Cancer Report 2008.
- Browne J (1997). A framework for service employee scheduling. Ind Manage, 39, 1-2.
- Claxton-Oldfield S, Claxton-Oldfield J (2012). Should i stay or should i go: a study of hospice palliative care volunteer satisfaction and retention. Am J Hosp Palliat Care, 29, 525. https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909111432622
- Claxton-Oldfield S, Gibbon L, Schmidt-Chamberlain K (2011). When to say “yes” and when to say “no”: boundary issues for Hospice Palliative Care Volunteers. Am J Hosp Palliat Care, 28, 429. https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909110397926
- Cleave SL, Doherty A (2005). Understanding volunteer and non-volunteer constraints: a mixed-method approach. Paper presented at the Eleventh Canadian Congress on Leisure Research.
- Fitzsimmons JA, Fitzsimmons MJ (2003). Service Management. McGraw-Hill/Irwan, Burr Ridge, IL.
- Guba EG, Lincoln YS (1981). Effective Evaluation. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Glaser BG (1978). Theoretical Sensitivity: Advances in the Methodology of Grounded Theory. Mid Valley CA: Sociology Press.
- Hager MA, Brudney JL (2004). Volunteer Management Practices and Retention of Volunteers. The Urban Institute.
- Hall M, Lasby D, Ayer S, Gibbons WD (2009). Caring Canadians, Involved Canadian: Highlights from the 2007 Canada Survey of Giving, Volunteering and Participating.
- Jinnett K, McCarthy KF (2001). A Behavioral Model of Participation, Building Participation in the Arts, 23-9.
- Lee S, Saito T, Takahashi M, Kai I (2007).Volunteer participation among older adults in Japan: An analysis of the determinants of participation and reasons for non-participation. Archives of Gerontol and Geriatrics, 47, 173-87.
- Family interactions in childhood leukemia: an exploratory descriptive study pp.1433-7339, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-018-4289-8