- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Prevalence of and Factors Associated with Osteoporosis among Korean Cancer Survivors: A Cross-Sectional Analysis of the Fourth and Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys
- Choi, Kyung-Hyun (Department of Family Medicine, Dong-A University College of Medicine) ;
- Park, Sang Min (Department of Family Medicine, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul National University College of Medicine) ;
- Park, Joo-Sung (Department of Family Medicine, Dong-A University College of Medicine) ;
- Park, Jae-Hyun (Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Samsung Biomedical Research Institute, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine) ;
- Kim, Kyae Hyung (Department of Family Medicine, Seoul National University Hospital) ;
- Kim, Myung-Ju (Department of Health Sciences, Graduate School of Kosin University)
- Published : 2013.08.30
Background: Identifying and managing osteoporosis among cancer survivors is an important issue, yet little is known about the bone health of cancer survivors in Korea. This study was designed to measure the prevalence of osteoporosis and to assess related factors among Korean cancer survivors. Materials and Methods: This study was designed as a cross-sectional analysis. Data were obtained from dual energy X-ray absorptiometry measurement of the lumbar vertebrae and femoral neck, and from standardized questionnaires among 556 cancer survivors and 17,623 non-cancer controls who participated in the Fourth and Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys (2008-2011). We calculated adjusted proportions of osteoporosis in non-cancer controls vs. cancer survivors, and we performed multivariate logistic regression analysis. Results: The prevalence of osteoporosis among cancer survivors was significant higher than that of the non-cancer controls after adjusting for related factors. Furthermore, osteoporosis among cancer survivors was higher in elderly subjects (60-69 years : adjusted odds ratio (aOR) 3.04, 95% CI : 1.16-8.00,
Osteoporosis;prevalence;risk factor;cancer survivors;Korea
- Allali F, Rostom S, Bennani L, et al (2010). Educational level and osteoporosis risk in postmenopausal Moroccan women: a classification tree analysis. Clin Rheumatol, 29, 1269-75. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10067-010-1535-y
- Brennan RM, Wactawski-Wende J, Crespo CJ, et al (2004). Factors associated with treatment initiation after osteoporosis screening. Am J Epidemiol, 160, 475-83. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwh245
- Brown SA, Guise TA (2009). Cancer treatment-related bone disease. Crit Rev Eukaryot Gene Expr, 19, 47-60. https://doi.org/10.1615/CritRevEukarGeneExpr.v19.i1.20
- Camacho PM, Dayal AS, Diaz JL, et al (2008). Prevalence of secondary causes of bone loss among breast cancer patients with osteopenia and osteoporosis. J Clin Oncol, 26, 5380-5. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.17.7451
- National Cancer Information Center (2011). Cancer incidence[Online], Available from: http://www.cancer.go.kr/ncic/cics_f/01/011/index.html. [2012, October 1].
- Chen Z, Maricic M, Pettinger M, et al (2005). Osteoporosis and rate of bone loss among postmenopausal survivors of breast cancer. Cancer, 104, 1520-30. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.21335
- Choi HJ, YH SC(2010). Osteoporosis Reimbursement Policy: United States of America, Europe and Korea. Korean J Bone Metabolism, 17, 7-12.
- Christenson ES, Jiang X, Kagan R, et al (2012). Osteoporosis management in post-menopausal women. Minerva Ginecol, 64, 181-94
- Ding H, Yang L, Du W, et al (2013). Bisphosphonates for Osteoporosis in Nonmetastatic Prostate Cancer Patients Receiving Androgen-deprivation Therapy: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3337-43. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3337
- Ehrsson YT, Langius-Eklof A, Laurell G (2012). Nutritional surveillance and weight loss in head and neck cancer patients. Support Care Cancer, 20, 757-65 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-011-1146-4
- Felson DT, Zhang Y, Hannan MT, et al (1993). Effects of weight and body mass index on bone mineral density in men and women: the Framingham study. J Bone Miner Res, 8, 567-73.
- Filipponi P, Gregorio F, Cristallini S, et al (1990). Partial gastrectomy and mineral metabolism: effects on gastrin-calcitonin release. Bone Miner, 11, 199-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-6009(90)90059-O
- Fontanges E, Fontana A, Delmas P (2004). Osteoporosis and breast cancer. Joint Bone Spine, 71, 102-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbspin.2003.02.001
- Ganry O, Baudoin C, Fardellone P (2000). Effect of alcohol intake on bone mineral density in elderly women: The EPIDOS Study. Epidemiologie de l’Osteoporose. Am J Epidemiol, 151, 773-80. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a010277
- Goodwin PJ, Ennis M, Pritchard KI, et al (1999). Risk of menopause during the first year after breast cancer diagnosis. J Clin Oncol, 17, 2365-70.
- Gralow JR, Biermann JS, Farooki A, et al (2009). NCCN Task Force Report: Bone Health in Cancer Care. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 7, 33-5.
- Grossmann M, Hamilton EJ, Gilfillan C, et al (2011). Bone and metabolic health in patients with non-metastatic prostate cancer who are receiving androgen deprivation therapy. Med J Aust, 194, 301-6.
- Guise TA(2006). Bone Loss and Fracture Risk Associated with Cancer Therapy. The Oncologist, 11, 1121-31. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.11-10-1121
- Jung KW, Park S, Kong HJ, et al (2011). Cancer Statistics in Korea: Incidence, Mortality, Survival, and Prevalence in 2008. Cancer Res Treat, 43, 1. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2011.43.1.1
- Khan MN, Khan AA (2008). Cancer treatment-related bone loss: a review and synthesis of the literature. Curr Oncol, 15, 30-40. https://doi.org/10.3747/co.2008.174
- Kim KH, Lee K, Ko YJ, et al (2012). Prevalence, awareness, and treatment of osteoporosis among Korean women: The Fourth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Bone, 50, 1039-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2012.02.007
- Lewiecki EM, Gordon CM, Baim S, et al (2008). International Society for Clinical Densitometry 2007 Adult and Pediatric Official Positions. Bone, 43, 1115-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2008.08.106
- Lim JS, Kim SB, Bang HY, et al (2007). High prevalence of osteoporosis in patients with gastric adenocarcinoma following gastrectomy. World J Gastroenterol, 13, 6492-7. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.13.6492
- Lim JS, Lee JI(2011). Prevalence, Pathophysiology, Screening and Management of Osteoporosis in Gastric Cancer Patients. J Gastric Cancer, 11, 7-15. https://doi.org/10.5230/jgc.2011.11.1.7
- Malcolm JB, Derweesh IH, Kincade MC, et al (2007). Osteoporosis and fractures after androgen deprivation initiation for prostate cancer. Can J Urol, 14, 3551-9.
- McKean H, Looker S, Hartmann LC, et al (2008). Are cancer survivors/patients knowledgeable about osteoporosis? Results from a survey of 285 chemotherapy-treated cancer patients and their companions. J Nutr Educ Behav, 40, 144-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2007.08.009
- Meadows ES, Mitchell BD, Bolge SC, et al (2012). Factors associated with treatment of women with osteoporosis or osteopenia from a national survey. BMC Womens Hlth, 12, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6874-12-1
- Melton LJ 3rd, Khosla S, Malkasian GD, et al (2003). Fracture risk after bilateral oophorectomy in elderly women. J Bone Miner Res, 18, 900-5. https://doi.org/10.1359/jbmr.2003.18.5.900
- Miro C, Orecchia R (2002). Osteoporosis, risk of radiation-induced fracture and quality of life. Lancet, 360, 1429. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(02)11387-0
- Moon SH, Lee DT, Son Y (2013). Adherence to Health-Related Lifestyle Behavior Recommendations and Association with Quality of Life among Cancer Survivors and Age-Matched Controls in Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2949-54. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.2949
- Murray TM (1996). Prevention and management of osteoporosis: consensus statements from the Scientific Advisory Board of the Osteoporosis Society of Canada. 4. Calcium nutrition and osteoporosis. CMAJ, 155, 935-9.
- Nordin BE, Need AG, Steurer T, et al (1998). Nutrition, osteoporosis, and aging. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 854, 336-51. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1998.tb09914.x
- Olmos Martinez JM, Gonzalez Macias J(2007). Osteoporosis in cancer survivors. Med Clin (Barc), 129, 669-76. https://doi.org/10.1157/13112094
- Orimo H, Hayashi Y, Fukunaga M, et al (2001). Diagnostic criteria for primary osteoporosis: year 2000 revision. J Bone Miner Metab, 19, 331-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s007740170001
- Ouattara M, D’Journo XB, Loundou A, et al (2012). Body mass index kinetics and risk factors of malnutrition one year after radical oesophagectomy for cancer. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg, 41, 1088-93 https://doi.org/10.1093/ejcts/ezr182
- Peterlik M, Boonen S, Cross HS, et al (2009). Vitamin D and calcium insufficiency-related chronic diseases: an emerging world-wide public health problem. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 6, 2585-607 https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph6102585
- Peterlik M, Kallay E, Cross HS, et al (2013). Calcium nutrition and extracellular calcium sensing: relevance for the pathogenesis of osteoporosis, cancer and cardiovascular diseases. Nutrients, 5, 302-27 https://doi.org/10.3390/nu5010302
- Korea National Health & Nutrition Examniation Survey (2012).Mannual for Examination Survey, Available from: http://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/index.do. [2012, October 1]
- Reuss-Borst M, Hartmann U, Scheede C(2011). Prevalence of osteoporosis among cancer patients in Germany. Osteoporosis Int, 23, 1437-44.
- Ryan CW, Huo D, Stallings JW, et al (2007). Lifestyle factors and duration of androgen deprivation affect bone mineral density of patients with prostate cancer during first year of therapy. Urol, 70, 122-6.
- Saad F, Adachi JD, Brown JP, et al (2008). Cancer treatment-induced bone loss in breast and prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol, 26, 5465-76. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.18.4184
- Shapiro CL, Manola J, Leboff M (2001). Ovarian failure after adjuvant chemotherapy is associated with rapid bone loss in women with early-stage breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 19, 3306-11.
- Shin CS, Choi HJ, Kim MJ, et al (2010). Prevalence and risk factors of osteoporosis in Korea: a community-based cohort study with lumbar spine and hip bone mineral density. Bone, 47, 378-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2010.03.017
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A, et al (2012). Cancer statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin, 62, 10-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20138
- Smith MR(2002). Osteoporosis and other adverse body composition changes during androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer. Cancer Metastasis Rev, 21, 159-66. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1020840311573
- Stava CJ, Jimenez C, Hu MI(2009). Skeletal sequelae of cancer and cancer treatment. J Cancer Surviv, 3, 75-88. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11764-009-0083-4
- van Londen GJ, Taxel P, Van Poznak C(2008). Cancer therapy and osteoporosis: approach to evaluation and management. Semin Oncol, 35, 643-51. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.seminoncol.2008.08.008
- VanderWalde A, Hurria A(2011). Aging and osteoporosis in breast and prostate cancer. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 139-56 https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20103
- Prevalence of Chronic Sputum and Associated Factors in Korean Adults vol.29, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2014.29.6.825