- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Breastfeeding and the Risk of Childhood Hodgkin Lymphoma: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
- Wang, Ke-Lai (Department of Pediatric Surgery, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University) ;
- Liu, Chun-Lan (Department of Pediatric Surgery, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University) ;
- Zhuang, Yan (Department of Pediatric Surgery, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University) ;
- Qu, Hong-Yi (Department of Pediatric Surgery, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University)
- Published : 2013.08.30
Purpose: Numerous observational epidemiological studies have evaluated associations between breastfeeding and the risk of childhood Hodgkin lymphoma; however, the existing results are inconsistent. We therefore conducted a systematic review and meta-analysis. Methods: Medical literature was searched in the Pubmed and Embase databases to identify all English-language relevant studies up to April 10, 2013. Reference lists were thereafter hand-searched for additional articles. Studies that reported relative risk ratios (RRs) or odds ratios (ORs) with 95% confidence intervals (CIs) were included. This meta-analysis was conducted in accordance with the guidelines for the meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology. Results: We finally included 10 case-control studies in our meta-analysis, involving 1,618 childhood Hodgkin lymphoma cases and 8,181 controls. Overall, we did found a borderline significant association between breastfeeding and reduced risk of childhood Hodgkin lymphoma comparing ever breastfed children to never breastfed children (pooled OR =0.79; 95%CI, 0.58-1.08; P=0.13), with limited evidence for between-study heterogeneity (P =0.12,
Breastfeeding;childhood Hodgkin lymphoma;meta-analysis;case-control studies
- Altinkaynak S, Selimoglu MA, Turgut A, Kilicaslan B, Ertekin V (2006). Breast-feeding duration and childhood acute leukemia and lymphomas in a sample of Turkish children. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr, 42, 568-72. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.mpg.0000215309.93911.84
- Bener A, Denic S, Galadari S (2001). Longer breast-feeding and protection against childhood leukaemia and lymphomas. Eur J Cancer, 37, 234-8.
- Bener A, Hoffmann GF, Afify Z, Rasul K, Tewfik I (2008). Does prolonged breastfeeding reduce the risk for childhood leukemia and lymphomas? Minerva Pediatr, 60, 155-61
- Das UN (2007). Breastfeeding prevents type 2 diabetes mellitus: but, how and why? Am J Clin Nutr, 85, 1436-7.
- Davanzo R, Zauli G, Monasta L, et al (2013). Human colostrum and breast milk contain high levels of TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL). J Hum Lact, 29, 23-5. https://doi.org/10.1177/0890334412441071
- Davis MK, Savitz DA, Graubard BI (1988). Infant feeding and childhood cancer. Lancet, 2, 365-8
- Dinand V, Arya LS (2006). Epidemiology of childhood Hodgkins disease: is it different in developing countries? Indian Pediatr, 43, 141-7.
- Flavell KJ, Murray PG (2000). Hodgkin's disease and the Epstein-Barr virus. Mol Pathol, 53, 262-9. https://doi.org/10.1136/mp.53.5.262
- Grufferman S, Davis MK, Ambinder RF, et al (1998). A protective effect of breast-feeding on risk of Hodgkin’s disease in children. Paediatr Perinatal Epidemiol, 12, A13.
- Hardell L, Dreifaldt AC (2001). Breast-feeding duration and the risk of malignant diseases in childhood in Sweden. Eur J Clin Nutr, 55, 179-85 https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1601142
- Hjalgrim H (2012). On the aetiology of Hodgkin lymphoma. Dan Med J, 59, B4485.
- Hosea Blewett HJ, Cicalo MC, et al (2008). The immunological components of human milk. Adv Food Nutr Res, 54, 45-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1043-4526(07)00002-2
- Ip S, Chung M, Raman G, et al (2007). Breastfeeding and maternal and infant health outcomes in developed countries. Evid Rep Technol Assess (Full Rep), 153, 1-186.
- Ladomenou F, Moschandreas J, Kafatos A, Tselentis Y, Galanakis E (2010). Protective effect of exclusive breastfeeding against infections during infancy: a prospective study. Arch Dis Child Dec, 95, 1004-8. https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.2009.169912
- Landgren O, Caporaso NE (2007). New aspects in descriptive, etiologic, and molecular epidemiology of Hodgkin's lymphoma. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am, 21, 825-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hoc.2007.07.001
- Martin RM, Gunnell D, Owen CG, Smith GD (2005). Breast-feeding and childhood cancer: A systematic review with metaanalysis. Int J Cancer, 117, 1020-31. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.21274
- Monterrosa EC, Frongillo EA, Vasquez-Garibay EM, et al (2008). Predominant breast-feeding from birth to six months is associated with fewer gastrointestinal infections and increased risk for iron deficiency among infants. J Nutr, 138, 1499-504.
- Mossberg AK, Hun Mok K, Morozova-Roche LA, Svanborg C (2010). Structure and function of human alpha-lactalbumin made lethal to tumor cells (HAMLET)-type complexes. FEBS J, 277, 4614-25. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-4658.2010.07890.x
- Nakatsuka S, Aozasa K (2006). Epidemiology and pathologic features of Hodgkin lymphoma. Int J Hematol, 83, 391-7. https://doi.org/10.1532/IJH97.05184
- Oddy WH, Sly PD, de Klerk NH, et al (2003). Breast feeding and respiratory morbidity in infancy: a birth cohort study. Arch Dis Child, 88, 224-8. https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.88.3.224
- Paltiel O, Laniado DE, Yanetz R, et al (2006). The risk of cancer following hospitalization for infection in infancy: a population-based cohort study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 15, 1964-8. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-06-0313
- Paramasivam K, Michie C, Opara E, et al (2006). Human breast milk immunology: a review. Int J Fertil Womens Med, 51, 208-17.
- Petridou E, Andrie E, Dessypris N, Dikalioti SK, Trichopoulos D (2006). Incidence and characteristics of childhood Hodgkin's lymphoma in Greece: a nationwide study (Greece). Cancer Causes Control, 17, 209-15. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-005-0409-0
- Rosenbauer J, Herzig P, Giani G (2008). Early infant feeding and risk of type 1 diabetes mellitus-a nationwide population-based case-control study in pre-school children. Diabetes Metab Res Rev, 24, 211-22. https://doi.org/10.1002/dmrr.791
- Rudant J, Orsi L, Monnereau A, et al (2011). Childhood Hodgkin's lymphoma, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and factors related to the immune system: the Escale Study (SFCE). Int J Cancer, 129, 2236-47. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25862
- Section on Breastfeeding (2012). Breastfeeding and the use of human milk. Pediatrics, 129, e827-841. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2011-3552
- Shu XO, Clemens J, Zheng W, Ying DM, Ji BT, Jin F (1995). Infant breastfeeding and the risk of childhood lymphoma and leukaemia. Int J Epidemiol, 24, 27-32 https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/24.1.27
- Smulevich VB, Solionova LG, Belyakova SV (1999). Parental occupation and other factors and cancer risk in children: I. Study methodology and non-occupational factors. Int J Cancer, 83, 712-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(19991210)83:6<712::AID-IJC2>3.0.CO;2-D
- Stang A (2010). Critical evaluation of the Newcastle-Ottawa scale for the assessment of the quality of nonrandomized studies in meta-analyses. Eur J Epidemiol, 25, 603-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-010-9491-z
- Stroup DF, Berlin JA, Morton SC, et al (2000). Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. Meta-analysis of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (MOOSE) group. JAMA, 283, 2008-12. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.283.15.2008
- Swerdlow AJ (2003). Epidemiology of Hodgkin's disease and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging, 30, S3-12. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00259-003-1154-9
- UK Childhood Cancer Study Investigators (2001). Breastfeeding and childhood cancer. Br J Cancer, 85, 1685-94. https://doi.org/10.1054/bjoc.2001.2110
- World Health Organization (2010).http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs342/en/index.html
- Breastfeeding and Ovarian Cancer Risk: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of 40 Epidemiological Studies vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4829
- Characteristics of Hodgkin Lymphoma in a Defined Group of Iranian Pediatric Patients vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5167