- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Age at Diagnosis in Bladder Cancer: Does Opium Addiction Play a Role?
- Karbakhsh, Mojgan (Community and Preventive Medicine Department, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Dabbagh, Najmeh (Community and Preventive Medicine Department, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Shabani, Azadeh (Community and Preventive Medicine Department, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Tabibi, Ali (Urology Department, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Akhavizadegan, Hamed (Urology Department, Tehran University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2013.08.30
Background: Bladder cancer is a major health problem, especially among men. Opium addiction can be an important risk factor. One important question is whether it can affect the age of onset of bladder cancer. We performed this study to evaluate this question. Materials and Methods: In a cross-section study, records of patients diagnosed with bladder carcinoma in Shahid Labbafinejad Medical Center, within 1999-2008 were included. Data were extracted from records regarding age at onset, gender, smoking status, and opioid addiction and analyzed with SPSS 13. Results: Within 10 years, 920 cases were diagnosed with bladder cancer of which 97 percent were transitional cell carcinoma. In 698 cases, opium addiction status was recorded in 21.3% (n=149). Age at diagnosis was
Bladder cancer;risk factor;age of onset;opium addiction;smoking
- Ahmadi J, Toobaee S, Kharras M, Radmehr M (2003). Psychiatric disorders in opioid dependants. Int J Soc Psychiatry, 49, 185-91. https://doi.org/10.1177/00207640030493004
- Ahmadi M, Ranjbaran H, Amiri MM, et al (2012). Epidemiologic and Socioeconomic Status of Bladder Cancer in Mazandaran province, Northern Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5053-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.5053
- Aliasgari MA, Kaviani A, Gachkar L, Hosseini-Nassab SR (2004). Is bladder cancer more common among opium addicts? Urol J, 1, 253-5.
- Botteman MF, Pashos CL, Redaelli A, Laskin B, Hauser R (2003). The health economics of bladder cancer: a comprehensive review of the published literature. Pharmacoeconomics, 21, 1315-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03262330
- Damghani MA (2004). A Survey on the Effect of Opium Addiction on Reducing the Age of Laryngeal Cancer in Kerman Province. J Kerman University Med Sci, 1, 194-9.
- GLOBOCAN (2008). Country fact sheets. http://globocan.iarc.fr/factsheets/populations/factsheet.asp?uno=364#MEN.
- Grasso M (2008). Bladder Cancer: A Major Public Health Issue. Eur Urol, 7, 510-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eursup.2008.04.001
- Harirchi I, Karbakhsh M, Kashefi A, Momtahen AJ (2004). Breast cancer in Iran: results of a multi-center study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 5, 24-7.
- Hosseini SY, Safarinejad MR, Amini E, Hooshyar H (2010). Opium consumption and risk of bladder cancer: a case-control analysis. Urol Oncol, 28, 610-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urolonc.2008.10.016
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Karbakhsh M, Salehian Zandi N (2007). Acute opiate overdose in Tehran: the forgotten role of opium. Addict Behav, 32, 1835-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2006.12.014
- Ketabchi A, Gharaei M, Ahmadinejad M, Meershekar T (2005). Evaluation of Bladder Cancer in Opium Addicted Patients in the 1. Kerman Province, Iran, from 1999 to 2003. J Res Med Sci, 10, 355-7.
- Kolahdoozan S, Sadjadi A, Radmard AZ, Khademi H (2010). Five Common Cancers in Iran. Arch Iran Med, 13, 143-6.
- Malaveille C, Friesen M, Camus AM, et al (1982). Mutagens produced by the pyrolysis of opium and its alkaloids as possible risk factors in cancer of the bladder and oesophagus. Carcinogenesis, 3, 577-85. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/3.5.577
- Messing EM (2008). Urothelial tumors of the bladder. In Wein AJ, Kavoussi LR, Novick AC, Partin AW, Peters CA eds, Campbell-Walsh Urology, Ninth Edition, Chapter 75. Philadelphia: Saunders-Elsevier, 2407-46.
- Mousavi MR, Damghani MA, Haghdoust AA, Khamesipour A (2003) .Opium and risk of laryngeal cancer. Laryngoscope, 113, 1939-43.
- Nasrollahzadeh D, Kamangar F, Aghcheli K, et al (2008). Opium, tobacco, and alcohol use in relation to oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma in a high-risk area of Iran. Br J Cancer, 98, 1857-63. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604369
- Nourbakhsh A, Mohseni MG, Hatmi ZN (2006). Opium use in transitional cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder. Acta Med Iran, 44, 263-7.
- Ribal MJ (2011). Bladder Cancer Epidemiology. In: Lokeshwar VB, Merseburger AS, Hautmann SH. Bladder Tumors: Molecular Aspects and Clinical Management. New York: Humana Press. PP. 1-22.
- Sadjadi A, Nouraie M, Mohagheghi MA (2005). Cancer occurrence in Iran in 2002, an international perspective. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 359-63.
- Scelo G, Brennan P (2007). The epidemiology of bladder and kidney cancer. Nat Clin Pract Urol, 4, 205-17. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncpuro0760
- Shakhssalim N, Hosseini SY, Basiri A, et al (2010). Prominent Bladder Cancer Risk Factors in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 601-6.
- Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) Fact Sheets: Bladder. Median Age of Cancer Patients at Diagnosis, 2005-2009. By Primary Cancer Site, Race and Sex. http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2009_pops09/results_single/sect_01_table.11_2pgs.pdf.
- World Drug Report (2012). United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. United Nations p publication, Sales No. E.12.XI.1.
- Yavari P, Sadrolhefazi B, Mohagheghi MA, Mehrazin R (2009). A descriptive retrospective study of bladder cancer at a hospital in Iran (1973-2003). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 681-4.
- Bladder Cancer Biomarkers: Review and Update vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2395
- Lack of Association Between CYP1A1 Polymorphisms and Risk of Bladder Cancer: a Meta-analysis vol.15, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.9.4071
- Demographic Survey of Four Thousand Patients with 10 Common Cancers in North Eastern Iran over the Past Three Decades vol.15, pp.23, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.23.10193
- Opium and bladder cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis of the odds ratios for opium use and the risk of bladder cancer vol.12, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0178527
- Intravenous opioid drug abuse as an independent risk factor for supraglottic squamous cell carcinoma-A case-control study pp.17494478, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/coa.12990