- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
An Australian Retrospective Study to Evaluate the Prognostic Role of p53 and eIF4E Cancer Markers in Patients with Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma (HNSCC): Study Protocol
- Singh, Jagtar (School of Psychological and Clinical Sciences, Charles Darwin University) ;
- Jayaraj, Rama (School of Psychological and Clinical Sciences, Charles Darwin University) ;
- Baxi, Siddhartha (Alan Walker Cancer Care Centre) ;
- Mileva, Mariana (Anatomical Pathology, Royal Darwin Hospital) ;
- Curtin, Justin (Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Royal Darwin Hospital) ;
- Thomas, Mahiban (Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Royal Darwin Hospital)
- Published : 2013.08.30
Complete surgical resection of the primary tumour is a crucial predictive step for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC), because incomplete resection may lead to increase in the recurrence rate. Molecular cancer markers have been investigated as potential predictors of prognosis marker, to identify patients who are at high risk of local recurrence. This retrospective study aimed to determine the prognostic correlation between p53 and eIF4E expression and clinical characteristics, recurrence and overall survival. Forty eight HNSCC patients were selected between 2006 and 2009 diagnosed at the Royal Darwin Hospital, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia. Out of 48, only those 24 with negative surgical margins with hematoxylin and eosin (HandE) were chosedn for further analysis. A total of 77 surgical margins were obtained and subsequently analysed by immunohistochemical (IHC) staining with monoclonal p53 and polyclonal eIF4E antibodies. Contingency table and
Head and neck squamous cell carcinoma;p53;eIF4E;immunohistochemistry;recurrence;survival
- Argiris A, Karamouzis MV, Raben D, et al (2008). Head and neck cancer. The Lancet, 371, 1695-709. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60728-X
- Armstrong W, Vokes DE, Maisel RH (2010). Malignant tumors of the larynx, Cummings otolaryngology head and neck surgery, 5th edn, America: Mosby Elsevier.
- Avdulov S, Li S, Michalek V (2004). Activation of translation complex eIF4F is essential for the genesis and maintenance of the malignant phenotype in human mammary epithelial cells. Cancer Cell, 5, 553-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ccr.2004.05.024
- Bradford CR, Kumar B, Bellile E, et al (2013). Biomarkers in advanced larynx cancer: triological society thesis. Laryngoscope, [Epub ahead of print].
- Cardesa A, Nadal A (2011). Carcinoma of the head and neck in the HPV era. Acta Dermatoven APA, 20, 161-73.
- Chakraborty S, Mohiyuddin SM, Gopinath KS, et al (2008). Involvement of TSC genes and differential expression of other members of the mTOR signaling pathway in oral squamous cell carcinoma. BMC Cancer, 8, 163. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-8-163
- Chao YK, Chuang WY, Yeh CJ, et al (2012). High phosphorylated 4E-binding protein 1 expression after chemoradiotherapy is a predictor for locoregional recurrence and worse survival in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma patients. J Surg Oncol, 105, 288-92. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.22097
- Chen CN, Hsieh FJ, Cheng YM, et al (2004). Expression of eukaryotic initiation factor 4E in gastric adenocarcinoma and its association with clinical outcome. J Surg Oncol, 86, 22-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.20037
- Clark C, Shah S, Herman-Ferdinandez L, et al (2010). Teasing out the best molecular marker in the AKT/mTOR pathway in head and neck squamous cell cancer patients. Laryngoscope, 120, 1159-65.
- Crew JP, Fuggle S, Bicknell R, et al (2000). Eukaryotic initiation factor-4E in superficial and muscle invasive bladder cancer and its correlation with vascular endothelial growth factor expression and tumour progression. Br J Cancer, 82, 161-6. https://doi.org/10.1054/bjoc.1999.0894
- De Benedetti A, Graff JR (2004). eIF-4E expression and its role in malignancies and metastases. Oncogene, 23, 3189-99. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1207545
- Dobrossy L (2005). Epidemiology of head and neck cancer: magnitude of the problem. Cancer and Met Rev, 24, 9-17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10555-005-5044-4
- Gasco M, Crook T (2003). The p53 network in head and neck cancer. Oral Oncol, 39, 222-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1368-8375(02)00163-X
- Hardisson D (2003). Molecular pathogenesis of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol, 260, 502-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-003-0581-3
- Holm N, Byrnes K, Johnson L, et al (2008). A prospective trial on initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) overexpression and cancer recurrence in node-negative breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol, 15, 3207-15. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-008-0086-9
- Jalali MM, Heidarzadeh A, Zavarei MJ, et al (2011). p53 overexpression impacts on the prognosis of laryngeal squamous cell carcinomas. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1731-4.
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E (2008). Cancer statistics. Cancer J Clin, 58, 71-96. https://doi.org/10.3322/CA.2007.0010
- Kokko LL, Hurme S, Maula SM, et al (2011). Significance of site-specific prognosis of cancer stem cell marker CD44 in head and neck squamous-cell carcinoma. Oral oncol, 47, 510-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2011.03.026
- Liangping X (2005). The prognostic value of pathological and molecular margins marked by p53 and elF4E in laryngeal carcinoma. Chinese-German J Clin Oncol, 4, 56-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10330-004-0241-0
- Nathan CAO, Franklin S, Abreo FW, et al (1999). Analysis of surgical margins with the molecular marker eIF4E: a prognostic factor in patients with head and neck cancer. J Clin Oncol, 17, 2909.
- Nathan CAO, Liu L, Li B (1997). Detection of the proto-oncogene eIF4E in surgical margins may predict recurrence in head and neck cancer. Oncogene, 15, 579-84. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1201216
- Nathan CAO, Sanders K, Abreo FW, et al (2000). Correlation of p53 and the proto-oncogene eIF4E in larynx cancers: prognostic implications. Cancer Res, 60, 3599.
- Pai SI, Westra WH (2009). Molecular pathology of head and neck cancer: implications for diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment. Annu Rev Pathol, 4, 49-70. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pathol.4.110807.092158
- Partridge M, Costea DE, Huang X (2007). The changing face of p53 in head and neck cancer. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 36, 1123-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijom.2007.06.006
- Poeta ML, Manola J, Goldwasser MA, et al (2007). TP53 mutations and survival in squamous-cell carcinoma of the head and neck. New Eng J Med, 357, 2552-61. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa073770
- Rezende TM, de Souza Freire M, Franco OL (2010). Head and neck cancer: proteomic advances and biomarker achievements. Cancer, 116, 4914-25. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.25245
- Roncella S, Ferro P, Bacigalupo B, et al (2005). Human mammaglobin mRNA is a reliable molecular marker for detecting occult breast cancer cells in peripheral blood. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 24, 265-71.
- Rosenwald IB, Hutzler MJ, Wang S, et al (2001). Expression of eukaryotic translation initiation factors 4E and 2alpha is increased frequently in bronchioloalveolar but not in squamous cell carcinomas of the lung. Cancer, 92, 2164-71. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20011015)92:8<2164::AID-CNCR1559>3.0.CO;2-A
- Rudolph E, Dyckhoff G, Becher H, et al (2011). Effects of tumour stage, comorbidity and therapy on survival of laryngeal cancer patients: a systematic review and a meta-analysis. Eur Archives Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, 268, 165-79. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-010-1395-8
- Ruggero D, Montanaro L, Ma L (2004). The translation factor eIF-4E promotes tumor formation and cooperates with c-Myc in lymphomagenesis. Nat Med, 10, 484-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/nm1042
- Song HS, Do YR, Kang SH, et al (2006). Prognostic significance of immunohistochemical expression of p53 gene product in operable breast cancer. Cancer Res Treat, 38, 218-23. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2006.38.4.218
- Van Houten VMM, Leemans CR, Kummer JA, et al (2004). Molecular diagnosis of surgical margins and local recurrence in head and neck cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res, 10, 3614-20. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-03-0631
- Van Houten VMM, Tabor MP, van den Brekel MW, et al (2002). Mutated p53 as a molecular marker for the diagnosis of head and neck cancer. J Pathol, 198, 476-86. https://doi.org/10.1002/path.1242
- Van Oijen MG, Slootweg PJ (2000). Gain-of-function mutations in the tumor suppressor gene p53. Clin Cancer Res, 6, 2138-45.
- Waitzberg AF, Nonogaki S, Nishimoto IN, et al (2004). Clinical significance of c-myc and p53 expression in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas. Cancer Detect Prev, 28, 178-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cdp.2004.02.003
- Wang R, Geng J, Wang J, et al (2009). Overexpression of eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) and its clinical significance in lung adenocarcinoma. Lung Cancer, 66, 237-44.
- Expression of eukaryotic initiation factor 4 E in hypopharyngeal carcinoma vol.42, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1177/0300060514527912
- p53, MDM2, eIF4E and EGFR expression in nasopharyngeal carcinoma and their correlation with clinicopathological characteristics and prognosis: A retrospective study pp.1792-1082, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2014.2631
- miR-503 inhibits proliferation making human hepatocellular carcinoma cells susceptible to 5-fluorouracil by targeting EIF4E vol.37, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2016.5220