- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Characteristics and Treatment Outcomes of Patients with Malignant Transformation Arising from Mature Cystic Teratoma of the Ovary: Experience at a Single Institution
- Oranratanaphan, Shina (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University) ;
- Khemapech, Nipon (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University)
- Published : 2013.08.30
Background: Malignant transformation arising in mature cystic teratoma (MCT) is one of the most serious complications of MCT. Squamous cell carcinoma is the most common malignant change. Some clinical findings such as advanced age group and large tumor size are significant risk factors of malignant transformation. This study was conducted in order to evaluate characteristics, cell types, treatment and outcome of malignant transformation arising from dermoid cysts in our institution. Materials and Methods: A retrospective chart review was performed. General characteristics, operative data, procedure, operative finding and operative outcome were analyzed. Statistical assessment was performed with SPSS version 17.0, using mean, mode, median and percentage to describe those data. Results: During the 10 years period, 11 cases of malignant transformation from a total of 753 cases (1.46% incidence) of MCT were reviewed. Mean age of the patients was 41.2 years (SD 4.34, range 24-70). The most common presenting symptom was a palpable mass (8 cases; 72.7%). Primary surgical staging was performed in 4 patients (36.4%). Re-staging was conducted in the other 4. Complete cytoreduction was obtained in 45.5% (5 cases) and optimal surgical resection was obtained in 36.4% (4 cases). Mean tumor size was 14.1 cm. (SD 1.55, range 6-20). Squamous cell carcinoma was found in 36.4% (4 cases) and mucinous cancer in the other 4. More than half of them were stage Ia (54.5%, 6 cases). All patients whose stage more than Ia received chemotherapy (45.5%). Mean disease free survival was 5.53 years (1.32, 0.3-10). Conclusion: According to our study, the incidence of malignant transformation was consistent with previous studies. The common malignant transformation histologic types are both squamous and mucinous carcinoma which differed from previous reports. Early detection for early stage disease and optimal surgery are important for long term survival.
Malignant transformation;mature cystic teratoma;dermoid;characteristics;outcome
- Park SB, Kim JK, Kim KR, Cho KS (2007). Preoperative diagnosis of mature cystic teratoma with malignant transformation, analysis of imaging findings and clinical and laboratory data. Arch Gynecol Obstet, 275, 25-31.
- Park JY, Kim DY, Kim JH, et al (2008). Malignant transformation of mature cystic teratoma of the ovary, experience at a single institution. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol, 141, 173-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejogrb.2008.07.032
- Park SB, Kim JK, Kim KR, Cho KS (2008). Imaging findings of complications and unusual manifestations of ovarian teratomas. Radiographics, 28, 969-83. https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.284075069
- Peterson WF (1957). Malignant degeneration of benign cystic teratomas of the overy, a collective review of the literature. Obstet Gynecol Surv, 12, 793-830. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006254-195712000-00001
- Piccart MJ, Bertelsen K, James K, et al (2000). Randomized intergroup trial of cisplatin-paclitaxel versus cisplatin-cyclophosphamide in women with advanced epithelial ovarian cancer, three-year results. J Natl Cancer Inst, 92, 699-708. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/92.9.699
- Ohtani K, Sakamoto H, Masaoka N, et al (2000). A case of rapidly growing ovarian squamous cell carcinoma successfully controlled by weekly paclitaxel-carboplatin administration. Gynecol Oncol, 79, 515-8 https://doi.org/10.1006/gyno.2000.5985
- Omura G, Bleesing JA, Ehrlich CE, et al (1985). A randomized trial of cyclophosphamide and doxorubicin with or without cisplatin in advanced ovarian carcinoma. A Gynecologic Oncology Group Study. Cancer, 57, 1725-30.
- Outwater EK, Siegelman ES, Hunt JL (2001). Ovarian teratomas, tumor types and imaging characteristics. Radiographics, 21, 475-90. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiographics.21.2.g01mr09475
- Pantoja E, Rodriguez-Ibanez I, Axtmayer RW, Noy MA, Pelegrina I (1975). Complications of dermoid tumors of the ovary. Obstet Gynecol, 45, 89-94.
- Miyazaki K, Tokunaga T, Katabuchi H, et al (1991). Clinical usefulness of serum squamous cell carcinoma antigen for early detection of squamous cell carcinoma arising in mature cystic teratoma of the ovary. Obstet Gynecol, 78, 562-6.
- Takemori M, Nishimura R (2003). MRI findings of an ovarian dermoid cyst with malignant transformation. Magn Reson Med Sci, 2, 105-8 https://doi.org/10.2463/mrms.2.105
- Tham KT, Ma PH, Kung TM (1981). Malignant melanoma in an ovarian cystic teratoma. Hum Pathol, 12, 577-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0046-8177(81)80072-X
- Tseng CJ, Chou HH, Huang KG, et al (1996). Squamous cell carcinoma arising in mature cystic teratoma of the ovary. Gynecol Oncol, 63, 364-70. https://doi.org/10.1006/gyno.1996.0337
- Kikkawa F, Nawa A, Tamakoshi K, et al (1998). Diagnosis of squamous cell carcinoma arising from mature cystic teratoma of the ovary. Cancer, 82, 2249-55. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19980601)82:11<2249::AID-CNCR21>3.0.CO;2-T
- Kimura T, Inoue M, Miyake A, et al (1989). The use of serum TA-4 in monitoring patients with malignant transformation of ovarian mature cystic teratoma. Cancer, 64, 480-3. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19890715)64:2<480::AID-CNCR2820640222>3.0.CO;2-7
- Lai PF, Hsieh SC, Chien JC, et al (2005). Malignant transformation of an ovarian mature cystic teratoma, computed tomography findings. Arch Gynecol Obstet, 271, 355-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00404-004-0676-0
- Lipson SA, Hricak H (1996). MR imaging of the female pelvis. Radiol Clin North Am, 34, 1157-82.
- McGuire G (1996). Paclitaxel has moderate activity in squamous cervix cancer. A Gynecologic Oncology Group study. J Clin Oncol, 14, 792-5.
- Powell JL, Stinson JA, Connor GP, et al (2003). Squamous cell carcinoma arising in a dermoid cyst of the ovary. Gynecol Oncol, 89, 526-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-8258(03)00135-5
- Rha SE, Byun JY, Jung SE, et al (2004). Atypical CT and MRI manifestations of mature ovarian cystic teratomas. AJR Am J Roentgenol, 183, 743-50. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.183.3.1830743
- Ribeiro G, Hughesdon P, Wiltshaw E (1988). Squamous carcinoma arising in dermoid cysts and associated with hypercalcemia, a clinicopathologic study of six cases. Gynecol Oncol, 29, 222-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-8258(88)90216-8
- Rim SY, Kim SM, Choi HS (2006). Malignant transformation of ovarian mature cystic teratoma. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 16, 140-4. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1438.2006.00285.x
- Sakuma M, Otsuki T, Yoshinaga K, et al (2010). Malignant transformation arising from mature cystic teratoma of the ovary, a retrospective stude of 20 cases. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 20, 766-71. https://doi.org/10.1111/IGC.0b013e3181daaf1d
- Stamp GW, McConnell EM (1983). Malignancy arising in cystic ovarian teratomas. A Report of 24 cases. Br J Obstet Gynaecol, 90, 671-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.1983.tb09289.x
- Suzuki M, Tamura N, Kobayashi H, et al (2000). Clinical significance of combined use of macrophage colony-stimulating factor and squamous cell carcinoma antigen as a selective diagnostic marker for squamous cell carcinoma arising in mature cystic teratoma of the ovary. Gynecol Oncol, 77, 405-9. https://doi.org/10.1006/gyno.2000.5784
- Pins MR, Young RH, Daly WJ, Scully RE (1996). Primary squamous cell carcinoma of the ovary. Report of 37 cases. Am J Surg Pathol, 20, 823-33. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000478-199607000-00005
- Arioz DT, Tokyol C, Sahin FK, et al (2008). Squamous cell carcinoma arising in a mature cystic teratoma of the ovary in young patients with elevated carbohydrate antigen 19-9. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol, 29, 282-4.
- Chang SD, Yen CF, Lo LM, Lee CL, Liang CC (2011). Surgical intervention for maternal ovarian torsion in pregnancy. Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol, 50, 458-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tjog.2011.10.010
- Chen RJ, Chen KY, Chang TC, et al (2008). Prognosis and treatment of squamous cell carcinoma from a mature cystic teratoma of the ovary. J Formos Med Assoc, 107, 857-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0929-6646(08)60202-8
- Chen P, Yeh CC, Lee FK, et al (2012). Squamous cell carcinoma occurring in the pelvis after total hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy for an ovarian mature teratoma with malignant transformation. Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol, 51, 446-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tjog.2012.07.025
- Comerci JT Jr, Licciardi F, Bergh PA, Gregori C, Breen JL (1994). Mature cystic teratoma, a clinicopathologic evaluation of 517 cases and review of the literature. Obstet Gynecol, 84, 22-8.
- Curling OM, Potsides PN, Hudson CN (1979). Malignant change in benign cystic teratoma of the ovary. Br J Obstet Gynaecol, 86, 399-402. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.1979.tb10619.x
- Dos Santos L, Mok E, Iasonos A, et al (2007). Squamous cell carcinoma arising in mature cystic teratoma of the ovary, a case series and review of the literature. Gynecol Oncol, 105, 321-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2006.12.008
- Eltabbakh GH, Hempling RE, Recio FO, et al (1998). Remarkable response of primary squamous cell carcinoma of the ovary to paclitaxel and cisplatin. Obstet Gynecol, 91, 844-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-7844(97)00665-0
- Griffiths D, Wass J, Look K, Sutton G (1995). Malignant degeneration of a mature cystic teratoma five decades after discovery. Gynecol Oncol, 59, 427-9. https://doi.org/10.1006/gyno.1995.9948
- Hackethal A, Brueggmann D, Bohlmann MK, et al (2008). Squamous-cell carcinoma in mature cystic teratoma of the ovary, systematic review and analysis of published data. Lancet Oncol, 9, 1173-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(08)70306-1
- Hirakawa T, Tsuneyoshi M, Enjoji M (1989). Squamous cell carcinoma arising in mature cystic teratoma of the ovary. Clinicopathologic and topographic analysis. Am J Surg Pathol, 13, 397-405. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000478-198905000-00007
- Iwasa A, Oda Y, Kaneki E, et al (2007). Squamous cell carcinoma arising in mature cystic teratoma of the ovary, an immunohistochemical analysis of its tumorigenesis. Histopathology, 51, 98-104. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2559.2007.02727.x
- Karateke A, Gurbuz A, Kir G, et al (2006). Mucoepidermoid variant of adenosquamous carcinoma arising in ovarian dermoid cyst, a case report and review of the literature. Int J Gynecol Cancer,16, 379-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1438.2006.00233.x
- Kashimura M, Shinohara M, Hirakawa T, Kamura T, Matsukuma K (1989). Clinicopathologic study of squamous cell carcinoma of the ovary. Gynecol Oncol, 34, 75-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-8258(89)90111-X
- Kido A, Togashi K, Konishi I, et al (1999). Dermoid cysts of the ovary with malignant transformation, MR appearance. AJR Am J Roentgenol, 172, 445-9. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.172.2.9930800
- Ulbright TM (2005). Germ cell tumors of the gonads, a selective review emphasizing problems in differential diagnosis, newly appreciated, and controversial issues. Mod Pathol, 18, 61-79. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.3800310
- Yamagami W, Banno K, Kawaguchi M, et al (2007). Use of the collagen gel droplet embedded drug sensitivity test to determine drug sensitivity against ovarian mature cystic teratoma with malignant transformation to adenocarcinoma, case report. Chemotherapy, 53, 137-41. https://doi.org/10.1159/000099985
- Yamanaka Y, Tateiwa Y, Miyamoto H, et al (2005). Preoperative diagnosis of malignant transformation in mature cystic teratoma of the ovary. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol, 26, 391-2.
- Zanetta G, Fei F, Mangioni C (2000). Chemotherapy with paclitaxel, ifosfamide, and cisplatin for the treatment of squamous cell cervical cancer, the experience of Monza. Semin Oncol, 27, 23-7.
- Amerigo J, Nogales Jr FF, Fernandez-Sanz J, Oliva H, Velasco A (1979). Squamous cell neoplasms arising from ovarian benign cystic teratoma. Gynecol Oncol, 8, 277-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-8258(79)90035-0
- Clinical Study on Carboplatin for Treating Pediatric Patients with Wilms Tumors vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7277
- Proportion of Ovarian Cancers in Overall Ovarian Masses in Thailand vol.15, pp.18, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7929
- Incidence and Clinical Characteristic of Venous Thromboembolism in Gynecologic Oncology Patients attending King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital over a 10 Year Period vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6705
- Primary adrenal teratoma: Clinical characteristics and retroperitoneal laparoscopic resection in five adults pp.1792-1082, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2015.3701
- High Frequency of Malignant Transformation of Ovarian Mature Teratoma into Squamous Cell Carcinoma in Young Patients in Northeast Brazil vol.35, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1097/PGP.0000000000000225
- Malignant Transformation of Mature Cystic Teratoma pp.1048-891X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/IGC.0000000000001375
- Rare case of squamous cell carcinoma arising in a recurrent ovarian mature cystic teratoma of a young woman vol.97, pp.20, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000010802