- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
ERCC1 Expression Does Not Predict Survival and Treatment Response in Advanced Stage Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Cases Treated with Platinum Based Chemotherapy
- Ozdemir, Ozer (Department of Chest Diseases, Ege University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Ozdemir, Pelin (Department of Chest Diseases, Ege University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Veral, Ali (Department of Pathology, Ege University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Uluer, Hatice (Department of Biostatistics, Ege University Faculty of Medicine) ;
- Ozhan, Mustafa Hikmet (Department of Chest Diseases, Ege University Faculty of Medicine)
- Published : 2013.08.30
Background: ERCC1 is considered as a promising molecular marker that may predict platinum based chemotherapy response in non small cell lung cancer patients. We therefore investigated whether its expression is indeed associated with clinical outcomes in advanced stage NSCLC patients. Materials and Methods: Pretreatment tumor biopsy samples of 83 stage 3B and 4 non-small cell lung cancer patients treated with platinum based chemotherapy were retrospectively analyzed for immunohistochemical ERCC1 expression. None of the patients received curative surgery or radiotherapy. Results: By calculating H- scores regarding the extent and intensity of immunohistochemical staining of tumor biopsy samples, ERCC1 expression was found to be positive in 50 patients (60.2%). ERCC1 positive and negative groups had no statistically significant differences regarding treatment response, progression free survival and overall survival (respectively p=0.161; p=0.412; p=0.823). Conclusions: In our study we found no association between ERCC1 expression and survival or treatment response. The study has some limitations, such as small sample size and retrospective analysis method. There is need of more knowledge for use of ERCC1 guided chemotherapy regimens in advanced stage NSCLC.
- Bepler G, Gautam A, McIntyre LM, et al (2002). Prognostic significance of molecular genetic aberrations on chromosome segment 11p15.5 in non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 20, 1353-60. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.20.5.1353
- Bepler G, Begum M, Simon GR (2008). Molecular analysis-based treatment strategies for non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Control, 15, 130-9.
- Bepler G, Williams C, Schell MJ, et al (2013). Randomized international phase III trial of ERCC1 and RRM1 expression-based chemotherapy versus gemcitabine/carboplatin in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 31, 2404-12. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2012.46.9783
- Breen D, Barlesi F (2008). The place of excision repair cross complementation 1 (ERCC1) in surgically treated non-small cell lung cancer. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg, 33, 805-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcts.2008.01.067
- Ceppi P, Volante M, Novello S, et al (2006). ERCC1 and RRM1 gene expressions but not EGFR are predictive of shorter survival in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer treated with cisplatin and gemcitabine. Ann Oncol, 17, 1818-25. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdl300
- Chen S, Zhang J, Wang R, Luo X, Chen H (2010). The platinum based treatments for advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer, is low/negative ERCC1 expression beter than high/positive ERCC1 expression? A metaanalysis. Lung Cancer, 70, 63-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2010.05.010
- Fink D, Zheng H, Nebel S (1997). In vitro and in vivo resistance to cisplatin in cells that have lost DNA mismatch repair. Cancer Res, 57, 1841-5.
- Friboulet L, Olaussen KA, Pignon JP, et al (2013). ERCC1 isoform expression and DNA repair in non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med, 368, 1101-10. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1214271
- Gao Z, Han B, Shen J, et al (2011). ERCC1 protein as a guide for individualized chemotherapy of late stage advanced non small cell lung cancer. Exp Ther Med, 2, 811-15.
- Gomez-Roca C, Raynaud CM, Penault-Llorca F, et al (2009). Differential expression of biomarkers in primary non-small cell lung cancer and metastatic sites. J Thorac Oncol, 4, 1212-20. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e3181b44321
- Greene FL, Page DL, Fleming ID, et al (2002). AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 6th ed. Springer: New York.
- Groome PA, Bolejack V, Crowley JJ, et al (2007). The IASLC Lung Cancer Staging Project: validation of the proposals for revision of the T, N, and M descriptors and consequent stage groupings in the forthcoming (7th) edition of the TNM classification of malignant tumours. J Thorac Oncol, 2, 694-705. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e31812d05d5
- Italiano A, Burel-Vandenbos F, Otto J (2006). Comparison of the epidermal growth factor receptor gene and protein in primary nonsmall-cell lung cancer and metastatic sites: implications for treatment with EGFR inhibitors. Ann Oncol, 17, 981-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdl038
- Lee HW, Choi YW, Han JH, et al (2009). Expression of excision repair cross-complementation group 1 protein predicts poor outcome in advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients treated with platinum based doublet chemotherapy. Lung Cancer, 65, 377-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2008.12.005
- Lord RV, Brabender J, Gandara D, et al (2002). Low ERCC1 expression correlates with prolonged survival after cisplatin plus gemcitabine chemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 8, 2286-91.
- Ludovic C, Gillet J, Scharer OD (2006). Molecular mechanisms of mammalian global genome nucleotide excision repair. Chem Rev, 106, 253-76. https://doi.org/10.1021/cr040483f
- Martin LP, Hamilton TC, Schilder RJ (2008). Platinum resistance: The role of DNA repair pathways. Clin Cancer Res, 14, 1291-5. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-2238
- Olaussen KA, Dunant A, Fouret P, et al (2006). DNA repair by ERCC1 in non-small cell lung cancer and cisplatin-based adjuvant chemotherapy. N Engl J Med, 355, 983-91. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa060570
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P (2005). Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Rosell R, Taron M, Barnadas A, et al (2003). Nucleotide excision repair pathways involved in cisplatin resistance in non-small-cell lung cancer. Cancer Control, 10, 297-305.
- Roth JA, Carlson JJ (2011). The prognostic role of ERCC1 in advanced non-small cell lung cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Lung Cancer, 12, 393-401. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cllc.2011.04.005
- Sekine I, Minna JD, Nishio K, Tamura T, Saijo N (2006). A literature review of molecular markers predictive of clinical response to cytotoxic chemotherapy in patients with lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol, 1, 31-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/01243894-200601000-00008
- Simon GR, Ismail-Khan R, Bepler G (2007). Nuclear excision repair-based personalized therapy for non-small cell lung cancer: From hypothesis to reality. Int J Biochem & Cell Biology, 39, 1318-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2007.05.006
- Taillade L, Penault-Llorca F, Boulet T, et al (2007). Immunohistochemichal expression of biomarkers: a comparative study between diagnostic bronchial biopsies and surgical specimens of non-small-cell lung cancer. Ann Oncol, 18, 1043-50. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdm072
- van Zandwijk N (2001). Neoadjuvant strategies for non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 34, 145-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5002(01)00359-2
- Zheng Z, Chen T, Li X, et al (2007). DNA synthesis and repair genes RRM1 and ERCC1 in lung cancer. N Engl J Med, 356, 800-8. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa065411
- Clinical Study on Carboplatin for Treating Pediatric Patients with Wilms Tumors vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7277
- Clinical Investigation of Efficacy of Albumin Bound Paclitaxel plus Platinum Compounds as First-line Chemotherapy for Stage III/IV Squamous Non-small Cell Lung Cancer vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7453
- Expression of ERCC1, MSH2 and PARP1 in Non-small Cell Lung Cancer and Prognostic Value in Patients Treated with Platinum-based Chemotherapy vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2591
- Retrospective Study of ALK Rearrangement and Clinicopathological Implications in Completely Resected Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Patients in Northern Thailand: Role of Screening with D5F3 Antibodies vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3057
- Polymorphisms in ERCC1 gene could predict clinical outcome of platinum-based chemotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer patients vol.35, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-014-2033-7
- Biomarkers to assess the efficiency of treatment with platinum-based drugs: what can metallomics add? vol.6, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1039/C4MT00192C
- Prognostic value of ERCC1, RRM1, and TS proteins in patients with resected non-small cell lung cancer vol.75, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00280-015-2714-y
- Methodological quality evaluation of systematic reviews or meta-analyses on ERCC1 in non-small cell lung cancer: a systematic review vol.143, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-017-2516-1